Xantia Gearbox oil filler?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stekelly
My Cars: 2022 Trafic work van
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
98 Xantia Activa (briefly)
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Xantia Gearbox oil filler?

Post by Stekelly »

Hi folks,

Have a bit of an issue, while not paying attention and talking while lying under the car to do an oil change I managed to undo the drain nut on the gearbox. No problem I thought to myself, sure it probably hasnt had an oil change before anyway so I went and got myself a couple of litrs of gearbox oil and set about reading the haynes manual. Then I started to realise it was a more awkward job than I thought. The Haynes manual describes it and says its very awkward but doesnt have a picture of where exactly the filler plug is, im looking around as much as I have access toobut not haveing much luck. Any help (or pictures especially) would be great.

It's a 2000 reg 1.8 16v
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Fill it through the reverse switch hole using a small funnel. Its what I plan to do with both of mine.

Unless I'm mistaken the 1.8 uses the BE3/5 and I do not know where the filler/level plug is. You will need it to make sure the level is correct.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Or use the large plastic "bolt" above the reverse switch.
This bolt is the aeriator for the gearbox.

Inside LH wheel arch there is a level plug on the gearbox end casing.
The plug is noticably different from the other bolts found here and its got a seal washer under the head.
Wipe clean the area, unscrew the plug and notice eaxcvtly WHEN the oil starts dripping out when filling.
At the onset of dripping oil level is exactly correct.

Note that the heavy gearoil needs some time to seep down.
This means that after 1,7L poured in, you will have to slow down filling to observe the level.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

The 'real' filler is on the back of the diff housing on these if I'm not mistaken, and its not easy to get at even on a lift if its the same as the 406's.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Stekelly
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

Cheers guys, it'll probably be Sunday before I get a chance to get back at it and report back.

Anders, is that bolt fairly obvious when I remove the wheel or has so arch lineing or anything to come off too? Thanks.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Make sure you've got the right gearbox oil too.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I usually remove the air filter box and expose the top of the gearbox where there is a black plastic breather tube that can be prised from the top of the gearbox, it may well be covered in black grease or muck but it should be there. filling through the breather is painfully slow but at least you dont need to remove any wheels to get to the correct filler hole
on the end of the box, I usually use an old 1 litre oil bottle with a piece of tubing pushed into the breather pipe, dont over fill the funnel/bottle small amounts or the breather will overflow quickly.
the top end of a 2 litre fizzy drinks bottle with a hole drilled into the cap and a tube aeroldited into the cap will suffice.

if your good at measuring fluid amounts and the box has been completely drained beforehand this is probably a reasonably safe way to do it.

I often find adding a tube of wynns ptfe addative makes the gearchanges much smoother in my xantia. dont forget to deduct the volume from the total amount of oil or better still mix the addative to the oil before filling the box if you decide to do it this way. the correct oil is Esso BV 75W-80W or Total Transmission BV 75W-80.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've not done a manual Xantia, but in the 405 you can just access the level/filling hole with steering on full left lock.

Agree with Nigel 100% on the PTFE additive; have not heard yet of a case where it's negatively affected a BE series gearbox.
Stekelly
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I assume this is the breather I'm looking for? Its a plastic screw in plug wuth a little white cap pin that can be pulled out. The plug can be unscrewed to leave a nice hole that can be used to fill it if its the right thing I'm looking at.

EDIT, the pic is upside down as you would be lookign at it from the front of the car, thats the air filter box at the top.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Thats the one.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Stekelly
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

Cheers, Right I stuck the 1.8 litres of oil in handy enough. My only issue is the amount. The Haynes manual says itll take 1.8 after an oil change or 1.9 from dry. Seeing as I cant check the level do I just leave it with the 1.8 in or go for 1.9?
Stekelly
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Figured I may as well stick this in here as start a new thread. I've looked through the Haynes manual as well as trying to find it on Citroen service but can someone identify the part above for me and whther it should be rapidly ticking? Nest I can tell its part of the idling or throttle system?the cable seems to go to the throttle housing. Its on the inside of the front of the engine bay, in front of the battery.

Thanks again folks.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

That looks like the fuel tank venting solenoid.
It’s got soft rubbery mountings to keep it quiet, so if it makes noise it must be touching somewhere.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Stekelly wrote:Cheers, Right I stuck the 1.8 litres of oil in handy enough. My only issue is the amount. The Haynes manual says itll take 1.8 after an oil change or 1.9 from dry. Seeing as I cant check the level do I just leave it with the 1.8 in or go for 1.9?
Mine also takes 1.8 liters but I just simply pour 2 liters down from top venting which you have already found.

The official filling and gearbox oil level check is done from the side of the gearbox as seen in below pic
(blue circle) but vent hole is more practical for filling.

The oil level is just this hole level when filled with 1.8 l.

As clogzz said the brown item is the fuel gas vent relay which is also known as the depollution canister relay.
In a 1.8i 16V, it can easily be accessed. In 2.0i 16V it is more hidden. You can wrap it with a piece of foam mat to
isolate it from the car body and that should make it more quiet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: A better pic. of manual gearbox (BE3 R).

C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Clogzz wrote:That looks like the fuel tank venting solenoid.
Yes, it's the charcoal canister purge valve... The canister itself lives under the wing and as Clogzz says, it draws vapours from the fuel tank, especially during filling and then the engine sucks them out of the canister and eats them.

The valve is there so that the suck only happens on a hot engine otherwise the HC emissions would be rather high...

It can be a noisy little devil... On MK1 models the valve itself lives under the wing too, totally wrapped up in foam... Make sure it's well clipped home...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...