xsara clutch fitting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

carpysmith
My Cars:

xsara clutch fitting

Post by carpysmith »

hi everybody!
a good mate of mine is having problems getting his xsara picasso back together after changing clutch! seems to be having trouble getting speedo drive engaged when mating gearbox/diff to engine. Is there a sticky or anything on forum telling how to do it, and do you have to have both drive shafts off the vehicle? offside one is still in vehicle and from what i can make from the rather stressed phone call i had this evening it might be getting in the way a bit!
I,m going to have a look at it with him tomorrow so any advice asap would be much appreciated!!! (it,s a 02 plate 1.6 petrol by the way)
Regards Steve (aka carpysmith)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Remove the shaft - chances are by now if he's yanked the box out with it in, and then tried to stuff it back together, the shaft is bent.... :cry:
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You'd have to be some gorilla to bend a driveshaft Richard :D :D

Grom personal experience, although you can pull the 'box off with the driveshaft in place, it seriously gets in the way when replacing the 'box.

Remove it, or at least pull it far enough away so it is out of harm's way and all will be good.

Some try this shortcut to avoid driving the centre driveshaft bearing out of its housing. They can be a challenge sometimes but a long cold chisel and a big hammer never fails to bring satisfaction...

Although Xantia-centric, this thread is a fair clutch replacement guide and will be more or less relevant to the Picasso...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Jim
the inner end of the drive shaft can and will bend on removal of a gear box without dropping the O/S shaft out,

as there is an aufull amount of force/leverage/weight with the hole gear box hanging on that shaft,

regards malcolm
carpysmith
My Cars:

Post by carpysmith »

Thanks for the tips guys!! we,ll whip the shaft out when i get there this afternoon and see how we go from there!! As regards bending the shaft he had the gearbox supported by a crane when removing it so hopefully it wont be bent (fingers crossed!!!)
Thanks again
Steve (aka carpysmith)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:Jim
the inner end of the drive shaft can and will bend on removal of a gear box without dropping the O/S shaft out,
:shock: :shock: :shock: Gosh!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
carpysmith
My Cars:

Post by carpysmith »

Hi everybody,
Job done! took the intermediate driveshaft bearing housing off engine and that just gave us enough room/flexibility to get gearbox etc bolted on ok!!. Bit of a ball ache but we got it sussed in the end.
Many thanks for the advice!!
Regards Steve (aka carpysmith)