URGENT: Xsara Alignment Specs Required

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Langers
My Cars:

URGENT: Xsara Alignment Specs Required

Post by Langers »

Guys,
After a little help here…I’m taking my car (1999 Citroen Xsara 1, 15” wheels, standard height) for an alignment tomorrow.
How are these alignment shops meant to know the specifications for every car on the market? I am almost positive they will not have the specs for my car on file, and this is the largest and most well respected tyre/alignment chain in the country. Where could they get the specs from if they are not on file?
Can anyone provide me with the following information (for both front and rear where applicable):
Camber angle
Toe angle
Caster angle
Additionally, does the car require a 4–wheel-steer alignment? I know the Xsara has passive rear steering, does this need to be checked, and should I be paying for a 4-wheel-steer alignment or simply a regular alignment?
Thanks in advance,
Klaus Langbein
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Cant provide you with the figures you want but I can give you some general information.
The trade relies on published data books published by companies as Glass (in UK.) These books are sometimes correct - looking at mine for 1989 I find that the entry for my BX DTR Turbo describes it as having vacuum servo brakes while all the other BX's are described more correctly has having high pressure hydraulics. . .
I believe that many of the computerised systems have the data ondisc already installed - so dialling in the car description gives the data.
Turning to your rear suspension - this is the same as the ZX (and others) and has pssive rear wheel steering. This is simply cunningly placed and designed subframe mounts which allow the WHOLE subframe to move when required and give some steering input. The important bit is that it is the subframe itself moves, not the individual wheel and so there is no alignment to check (unless there is a suspicion that the subframe is damaged etc.) In any event there is no adjustment provided.
Jeremy
Langers
My Cars:

Post by Langers »

Thanks for the help Jeremy.
I hope the Xsara is on the database, Citroens are fairly rare in Australia (more Porsches than Citroens were sold in the year I bought my car.)
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

The only adjustable setting is the front wheel toe in setting which should be 1.5mm +- 1mm (0degrees 15' +- 10' toe in)
Ben
Langers
My Cars:

Post by Langers »

Well the alignment has been completed. I asked the technician whether the computer had the data for the Citroen on file, and he said "it's all up here" pointing to his head. Somehow I doubt they set the toe specifically for every car. The steering wheel is now slightly off centre (about 5mm).
The car is going in for service soon, is it possible for the mechanic to adjust the car so the wheel is centred again, without upsetting the alignment?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sorry mate - you've been had by more incompetent mechanics.
Steering should be adjusted BOTH sides. the reason is that the angles the wheels turn in by must be equal if the car is to function properly and feel the same when going to the left and the right.
Its not easy to get it right again. the correct procedure is probably to peel back the rack gaiter, centralise the rack, then adjust the tracking to give the same toe-in each side.
What you can do is to turn the track rods by an equal amount until the steering wheel is straight. This will probably give the correct angles each side, and what you do is jack up the car, unlock each track rod and turn each say 1/2 turn in the appropriate direction and see if the wheel is straight. When it is - lock up the locknuts and off you go. Much easier on a ramp.
Jeremy
Jon

Post by Jon »

How anyone can set the tracking using figures that they seem to have made up in their head is quite beyond me!
I don't have the figures for the Xsara to hand, but Ben's figures seem about right and they are close to those on my ZX (same front end).
Maybe an idea to get your Citroen dealer to reset the tracking when you get your Xsara serviced as they will have the definitive toe in figures. It seems to me that if the steering wheel is now off centre the tracking must be pretty way out!
What led you to believe that it needed adjusting in the first instance?
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

The figures I used were from my Haynes manual and were the same figures as used by the laser tracking I had done last year.
Ben
kevinmodi
My Cars: Citroen Xsara 2, 2005
Peugeot 307, 2002

Re: URGENT: Xsara Alignment Specs Required

Post by kevinmodi »

For an Xsara, only the toe can be adjusted.
The rest of the automated report list that the shop will provide you does not count.
I had the rear axle completely replaced, and the front suspension done completely (shaft, shocks, rack ends, bolt joints, power steering box, new tires).
After doing the alignment, I can hear a knocking sound when I steer right and left.
Can anybody help me?
kevinmodi
Peugeot 307, 2002

Post by kevinmodi »

Finally, the knocking sound is solved.
The fitness test center could not detect this fault! So I got my approval to continue driving the car.
No need to say, I have been driving with stress for 1 year!

The issue was a torn shock absorber boot and replacement of the power steering tube linings.
The cost of repairs was far more than the cost of spare parts. But, now, I can drive confidently.

For info, I drive a Citroen Xsara, 2005, in Mauritius.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

This thread was 18 years old, so didn't get much attention - but glad you have sorted your issue.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
kevinmodi
Peugeot 307, 2002

Post by kevinmodi »

Hello there.

I know this thread is old but if somebody can help me would be great!
Yesterday I got a few repairs done on the front suspension.
But when I reached home, I read on the report for wheel alignment that it was done for Xsara 14" while my car is 15".

I called the garage, and they say it's ok, nothing to worry about, can do with it.

Is this really ok???
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, the only differences are for the engine type / build date where the tracking settings change slightly. As long as they have the model and year, it should be fine regardless of the 14" or 15"wheel size.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

For future reference you should be able to find the info you are after here > https://public.servicebox-parts.com/dtt ... ex_am.html
kevinmodi
Peugeot 307, 2002

Post by kevinmodi »

Hello,
Thank you for your replies. By the time I read it, I had already requested the garage to do it again as I was persistent.

The thing is, suppose tomorrow I want to upgrade to 18" tires. The garage said they would manually adjust it to 18" on their wheel alignment machine.

Finally, they did it again on 15", and the mechanic told me there were only minor differences (that could have come up since I drove the car 2 days earlier).

Thank you for the doc attached. I went through it and read about the torque tightening thing for belts and others. I did all these repairs, and the car became stiff since then. I wonder if they got the wrong torque. My question here is, will the torque get loosen a bit after years of driving? Will it ever get back its suppleness like when I bought it 10 years ago?