Xantia HDi 90 High Pressure Fuel Pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bigjimmy
My Cars:

Xantia HDi 90 High Pressure Fuel Pump

Post by bigjimmy »

Hello one and all, this is my first ever post on this forum so please be kind to me !!

I live in France where amazingly enough Citroen spares are normally far more expensive than the are in dear old Blightie.

I own a very tried and loved year 2000 Citroen 90 HDi Xantia Estate, I bought it in January 2004 when it was just 3 years old with a guaranteed 30,000 on the clock and it has now done 107,000 and apart from 2 sets of spheres 'Claude' [as he is known] has run faultlessly.

The other day however, on the very first day that it was warm enough to drive with the windows open, I noticed a dry bearing sound coming from the region of the BOSCH high pressure fuel pump so immediately I arrived home I duly investigated with my listening rod and my original thoughts were confirmed................ there sounds like there is a dry bearing inside the high pressure fuel pump.

For me now it is very much a toss up as to whether or not it is worthwhile changing the pump for either a new one or a reconditioned unit on the grounds of cost of not only the replacement unit but also the cost of fitting it. If however the costs are too high, then despite the rest of him being in perfect shape, then he might have to go to the big playground in the sky!!

One of the deciding matters will be if it is a job I could possibly do myself, or would I have to use a garage ? I am a fairly capable man with the spanners, however I do only have a very comprehensive range of professional grade spanners and sockets and sundry other items of kit, what I don't have are special pulleys, wedges etc.

Is this a job that I might be able to do myself [as an indication of my mechanical competence, I do absolutely everything mechanical on my Land Rover 300TDi and have built numerous racing engines in former times] and if so what are the pitfalls. I have the Haynes 'book of lies' and it hardly looks like a walk in the park, but I would greatly value your thoughts, advice and suggestions.

With kind regards

BJ
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

No more difficult than doing a cam belt, and you might as well replace that at the same time.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
bigjimmy
My Cars:

Post by bigjimmy »

HDI wrote:No more difficult than doing a cam belt, and you might as well replace that at the same time.
Yes HDI I had read that in the Haynes manual, but how much of a buqqer of a job is changing the cambelt and in so saying what hints and tips might you have ?
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

I would rate it as one of the easier belts to replace. You have the advantage that the fuel pump isn't timed. Access is average, the top engine mount has to be removed so the engine has to be supported during the job. There are no real problems with the job.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Have a read of Jim's account of a stripdown and rebuild.
Jim makes it look as simple as breaking eggs of course but it is an excellent guide, you would struggle to find anything better.

Feel free to ask questions as they arise - everyone benefits!

:welc:
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

If you do the belt then please bare in mind that when you support the engine while the engine mount is removed that the suspension may sink and push your engine upwards and twist it backwards on the remaining mounts (don't ask how I know :roll: ).

It's best to jack the Xantia up and support the front on axle stands. It won't go anywhere like that.

Edit: Jim's write up is for the old Bosch pump. Not a Hdi pump.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
bigjimmy
My Cars:

Post by bigjimmy »

KevMayer wrote:If you do the belt then.......

It's best to jack the Xantia up and support the front on axle stands. It won't go anywhere like that.
If I do the job myself then I will very obviously have the car as high up in the air as possible and fully supported so that anything I then jack up, strap or support will remain in exactly the position I want it to.

Sorry to be a pain, but I am not thinking of reconditioning the HDi pump but replacing it, however it is the getting into the timing belt that I am worried about, is it a bitch of a job or...........

Are there any step by step user friendly advice by members of the forum ?

And lastly........... should I go for a brand new pump or who are the best people to contact for a reconditioned one ?
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

myglaren wrote:Have a read of Jim's account of a stripdown and rebuild.
Jim makes it look as simple as breaking eggs of course but it is an excellent guide, you would struggle to find anything better.

Feel free to ask questions as they arise - everyone benefits!

:welc:
If you follow Jims guide you WILL be completely LOST, that guide is for the older XUD Roatry Pump...

HDi engine has a high pressue Fuel Rail Pressuriser Pump unit, completely different to that...

I have managed to swap a HDI Pump without removing the cam belt and if you are carefull enough you Do NOT loose the Belt timing..

Theres TWO return feed lines and a single output pipe.. Remove the output pipe, the two sensors, and the two rubber feed pipes, theres then 3 13mm nuts, and the nut on the nose of the pump shaft holding the pully on, then drive a screw driver or simmilar between the pully and pump house and it will pop off.. Theres NO keyway, and if you are carefull enough the pully wont go far, you can then withdraw the pump...

As said above the pump is NOT timed, there also NO keyway, its simply the tightness of the pully on the shaft which is tapered...

Pumps can be had for around £100 to £150 quid on ebay...

Strange for the pump to fail early.. are you 100% sure its the pump and is not being amplified from somewhere else, these pumps can be very good for 200k PLUS...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

As for Cam belt swap, Ive done a guide, but its not been published on here yet... Its not far different to the XUD belt... the Crank is locked behind the starter, and the Cam is locked with an 8mm bolt.. not quite in the same position as the XUD....

Tensioning the belt is different, the XUD was simple you simply had it as tight as possible, however, the HDi cannot be too tight, if it is you get a whinein noise from the engine, it then needs slakening slightly... there should be belt flap between the Cam and pump... BUT not too much..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

Hi BigJimmy

Where are you? I may be close enough to be able to help.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Ooops, sorry.

Fuel pump, schmuel pump Image
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I put some detail here: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=33939 after I changed the belt on my 110 earlier this year. A 90 is probably easier, as the engine mount is not so obstructive, and the electrovalves are not in the way (I think...!). Also is yours LHD? In which case you are laughing as the difficult cover bolt is easily accessible from underneath (see the French link for pics!). Paul's notes on belt tension are right - I was surprised at how slack the belt appeared between the cam and pump.

Might be worth dropping the aux belt off and giving it a quick run to see if the noise is still there - similar noise on mine was the alternator - and it was sort of amplified through the HP pump.
Richard W
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

As Richard says, are you certain it's the pump?
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
bigjimmy
My Cars:

Post by bigjimmy »

Xantidote wrote:As Richard says, are you certain it's the pump?
Thanks for everything so far...........

No it is a RHD and bought very shortly we left Blightie in 2004.

As for the location of the noise, yes I know noises can come out in an altogether different place than where they started but using my trusted long steel shafted screwdriver as a listening rod, most definitely the noisiest place is at the opposite end to the pumps pulley and the noise had the same pitch as well.

Good idea about taking off the auxilliary and checking for the noise again, just as soon as I have finished crepying the stone on the front of the house I will give it a go......... mind you the aux belt is a right old 'B' to get at!!
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

Crepi! Just doing the same myself.