zx 1.9D estate with lucas diesel pump [N/A]

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tony1961

zx 1.9D estate with lucas diesel pump [N/A]

Post by tony1961 »

Hi there, Is there anybody that can tell me if its possible to change the lucas fuel pump for a bosch one. Is it a simple swap, ie can you use same cable,cam belt pipes etc. and would anyone know which model would have a suitable bosch pump. I am just doing some research into using used veg oil and/or if its possible to use other types of oil eg hydraulic as i have access to various types of used oil. if anyone has any info i would be very gratefull. Thank you Regards Tony.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes you can change it for a Bosch but you need to change the injector pipes as well, the injection sequence is different, it won't work with the original pipes - guess how I know. You would probably get a suitable pump from a Peugeot 405, assuming you don't want one with coded access.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You'll need to Bosch injectors too. Lucas ones have a different opening pressure.

Apart from that, it's straightforward. The Bosch pump mounts on the "alternative" flange stud positions on the cradle. When you remove the old Lucas you'll see three apparantly unused tapped holes in the cradle. Move the three flange studs to these holes for the Bosch Pump.

Be careful you don't end up with the semi-electronic VP20-AS3. They look like the mechanical VP20 externally but need an ECU to control timing. Retrofitting the ECU is a game.

That's it basically.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
tony1961

Post by tony1961 »

thnks peter thanks jim, i will aquire a pump and bits, asap
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I didn't change the injectors on my BX, but Jim is right they are not an exact match although they will work, in fact mine worked very well - to much fuel probably 8-)

Peter
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

tony1961 wrote:thnks peter thanks jim, i will aquire a pump and bits, asap
Small point: beware if sourcing a 405 pump as posted above, the very last (N and P plate 405's D and TD) do have a keypad. Its behind the handbrake under a flap, not infront of it 306 style. Still, with a pump off its easy to 'attend' to such things anyway ;)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG