A lucky escape ?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

A lucky escape ?

Post by spider »

Washed the car last Tuesday, usual stuff hosepipe and bucket.

Opened the bonnet and gave the engine a quick spray too, not much just a bit to get rid of dust. Obviously I did not have the engine running as we know petrol engines will stop at the mere suggestion of water near the coil pack, a diesel will lovingly take a big drink and bend things.

I did not use the car till Saturday as was not very well for the remainder of the week. I get in and it fires up immediately as it always does :D , reach around to put my seatbelt on (so it had been running for say five seconds or so) and it misfires and stops dead.

I try to crank it and it sounds very slow on the starter :o , my thoughts then turn to the water the other day. I do have a tiny hole in the bottom of the air box to allow anything that did find its way in to drain, in theory anyway.

My thoughts then turned to hydraulic lock + expense. Pulled airbox + pipework / turbo plumbing off to find them quite damp but not really bad. Tried cranking again it was still slow but not as bad as it was. Put pipework back and whipped a couple of glowplugs out and tried cranking it again (stop solenoid disconnected) then put them back. I decided that if damage was done then it was done so was not at this stage worth stripping much further, ie: whip injectors out etc.

It started fine had a tiny misfire complete with smoke cloud for about half a minute but its been perfect since :D , I guess I was very lucky maybe...

Done a good hundred miles since including a fast blast and no signs of any problems, it certainly has all the power it did if anything its actually quieter but that might be my imagination.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

How odd Andy :?

Can't explain that one at all...

Still, all's well that ends well :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Yes. True, all good. :D

I think it must of took a bit of water in and it soaked into the air filter / pipework.

Upon starting it must of got some of this in with the air, obviously not much or it would hydraulic = bang = bent rod ? = expense.

I guess it was just bits of vapour, enough to cause compression difficulties (as it won't squash as you know, so just a few ppm maybe) and enough to keep the temperature down below the point of it firing.

I hope that makes sense, I just sort of typed my thoughts. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG