Smell of insulation burning '99 Xantia HDi Exclusive

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Edhertz
(Donor 2022)
My Cars:

Smell of insulation burning '99 Xantia HDi Exclusive

Post by Edhertz »

Hello,
Just wondering if anyone has had experience of smell of electrical insulation burning inside the car, with no apparant signs of smoke or fumes. Problem came on suddenly, luckily on my way home, stopped a few times, lifted the lid but no signs of burning ie smoke or overheating. As I replaced the theater fan/blower transistors recently I thought there might be a problem with the blower but cannot find anthing obviously wrong with it. I have checked the com continuity through the brushes through 360 and all readings are the same (0.4 ohm), also seems to run ok when powered up out of situ. The motor draws approx 5A in auto and rises in excess of 10A full on, which I will assume is normal until I'm told otherwise. Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance. (ps. alternator's ok)
Last edited by Edhertz on 04 Apr 2011, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

My first thought is it actually inside the car ?

A plastic bag stuck to the cat will melt rapidly and stink for ages, the smell can get inside the car sometimes too.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Check your battery terminals. I've seen two cases now where under heavy electrical loads the terminals can overheat due to high resistance in the crimps.

Run the engine with maximum load applied and then feel them. If they're hot, recrimp them with a very big pair of pliers.

On the blower side, check the plug into the speed module (the one you repaired) is not getting hot.

Finally, if yours has the auxiliary electric water heater (looks like a an alloy block with four glowplugs in one of the heater matrix pipes heater) check it is cutting out and that you don't have an airlock in the circuit causing the heater to run dry. They will overheat under such circumstances and get a bit smelly.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

When the cabin fan brushes are worn, you can get an electrical arcing smell.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

I had similar on my V6 Xantia... it came from within the steering column shroud and the wife noticed a small amount of smoke for a few seconds.. further examination showed a small amount of melted plastic around the indicator mechanism.
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
Edhertz
(Donor 2022)
My Cars:

Post by Edhertz »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice. I've checked all the things you've come up with but the culprit is still at large. Not sure where to go after this but I'm sure I'll come up with something.
mendedit
My Cars:

Post by mendedit »

Perhaps your being cremated and have chosen to drive to heaven in a Xantia.
The world is full of them and a lot are in