Xantia Estate - replace handbrake cable/clutch cable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NAM
Donor 2024
My Cars:

Xantia Estate - replace handbrake cable/clutch cable

Post by NAM »

My Xantia Estate is still going strong with 161K on the clock. :) I have been advised that the handbrake cable will need to be replaced, same with the clutch cable. Both are originals - I just wondered which I should do first. :?:

In terms of performance, both are working as they should - need to pull the handbrake on a bit more than I used to (I have had it adjusted), and the clutch is a bit heavy. I had the clutch replaced at 120K miles but not the cable. I am aware that if the clutch cable snaps or the infamous clip gives way I am in a bit of trouble and don't really want to wait for the dreaded day :!: .

Am I on borrowed time with both?
NEW 50 Shades of Grey C5 Tourer 2016 BlueHDi 2L VTR+
C4 (62) 1.6HDi VTR+ (Feb 2020)
Silver Dream Machine: C4 Hatchback, 1.6 SX HDi (07) (July 2013 - Feb 2020)
C5 Tourer Exclusive 09/2Ltr HDi (Oct 2012-Sept 2021 146K miles
Xantia Estate Mk2 1.8LX V-Reg/2000 173K miles.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Unable to advise on clutch cable as yours is petrol, and "heavy" is a bit subjective".

However, certainly the Xantia's TD engine has a heavyish clutch, as evident from past threads on the Forum, with which I agree. Replaced my TD clutch as it was heavy, but this gave no noticeable improvemen, so then replaced the cable, and magic - much improved. That replacement cable then slowly became heavy over time, and then had to be replaced, but not before it had broken the infamous clip.

I've had a Cavalier in the past which had a heavy clutch, which was transformed by fitting a new cable, so yes, I think I'd be changing the clutch cable - if it's original, it doesn't owe you anything.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Handbrake cables are surprisingly easy - about an hour to do both sides :lol: If they're suspect, it's worth changing them, as they can pull the brakes on and wear the pads out.

The clutch cable is a bit more difficult. To change it you will need access to the clip, with all the problems that entails. If someone has been there before and the bolt is in the 'right' way, then the job is made somwhat easier.

If you've got a spare day it might be worth doing both for peace of mind!
Richard W
NAM
Donor 2024
My Cars:

Post by NAM »

Thanks Richard and Martin - I have added the jobs to my Easter list.

I didn't know that the handbrake can end up wearing the front pads out and the comment about the clutch cable not owing me anything is spot on. These Xantias were certainly made well - not many on the road these days but I will keep mine going for a while yet.

Cheers

Nigel
NEW 50 Shades of Grey C5 Tourer 2016 BlueHDi 2L VTR+
C4 (62) 1.6HDi VTR+ (Feb 2020)
Silver Dream Machine: C4 Hatchback, 1.6 SX HDi (07) (July 2013 - Feb 2020)
C5 Tourer Exclusive 09/2Ltr HDi (Oct 2012-Sept 2021 146K miles
Xantia Estate Mk2 1.8LX V-Reg/2000 173K miles.