Xantia awkward driving position

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nikolaymk

Xantia awkward driving position

Post by Nikolaymk »

The Xantias have long being criticised for their awkward driving position. To be fair LHD models have much better legroom that UK RHD ones which lack the footrest next to the clutch pedal. I'm size 10 and when I drive I keep my foot UNDER the clutch pedal.
But I'm used to it.
Today though I did about 200 miles town journey (don't ask) in a company 03 Almera. The pedals felt much lighter then the Xantia's. My car pedals are very very stiff. I'm wondering if everyone else is experiencing the same thing:
1) My clutch pedal is quite stiff;
2) My accelerator pedal is twice sa stiff (which causes pain not only in traffic but also on the motorway.
I was wondering is this normal or is there something wrong with my car???
Any feedback will be appreciated.
Thanks
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

If I remember rightly, the seat shape was changed in mid-1995 (late M reg) - in response to a mere nine years of complaints about a lack of comfort in the BX and Xantia! I believe they shortened the squab. And yes, I do have the footrest next to the clutch pedal. Not that I use it much.(95 N reg 1.8 16v, 90K)
My clutch cable is a touch heavy, but the throttle is light and easy. If it's hurting you then you need to get it looked at!
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

The driving position on a Xantia is somewhat strange, its almost 'Italian' in that it is long arms/short legs with the steering column coming out of the dash at the 'wrong/low' angle . The only way I have found that I can get truly comfortable is with electric seats because they adjust in every way possible rather than just height/rake etc.
If the accelerator is stiff, check it at the throttle end, I have removed extra springs on the accelerator pedal on other cars when I have found the pedal too stiff. But make sure that if you do this, the accelerator still returns to rest freely! You may find it to be a very good laxative if it doesn't!
If the clutch is stiff for all of its travel, it may just be that the cable needs replacing, but if you can feel a 'ridge' in the pedal movement it indicates that the clutch pressure plate is worn.
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Re driving position:
When my old BX was my main car I had an MOT tester try to fail the car because the seat 'was obviously broken' I had to demonstrate to him that that really was my driving position.
I upgraded to 1998 Xantia this year. One of the first things I noticed were the seats, looked fabulous. Having owned the car for 4 months I now have a different view.
They are an improvement over the BX but:
I have lumbar support but can not use it as it appears to act dis-proportionately mainly on the side where the control is. I have height adjustment which I can not use as there is no tilt adjustment for the seat cushion and raising the seat height causes undue pressure on the backs of the top of my legs, result dead legs on anything other than the shortest of journeys. I'm 6' tall by the way and weigh 200 pounds.
Also If I sit in the dead ahead position I find I'm off centre of the brake pedal and end up acting on the right hand edge only, not good in an emergency.
The one good thing about the seats is the head rest, in the Xantia it can be adjusted to support my head, in the bx it was an obstacle to break my neck over.
Mark_sp
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Having moved on from a BX TZD to a Xantia SX, I agree the Xantia's seats are very uncomfortable over long distances. A couple of years ago I raised the front fixings of the driver's seat rails by about 12mm and I find it improves the comfort.
franciscolunn
My Cars:

Post by franciscolunn »

Yes i agree with all about Xantia seats i only wish i had more adjustments and i have been ringing scrappies to see if i can locate a VSX seat or similar,JOHND that sounds like a good idea i'll give it a try.
My clutch pedal is stiffer than my BX and i did notice the differance when i collected the car altho i'm getting used to it,i have been told that if it stiffens up considerably it's a warning sign that it's likely the cable will break,throttle is ok so must be a fault on yours NIKOLYAMK.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by franciscolunn</i>

i have been told that if it stiffens up considerably it's a warning sign that it's likely the cable will break,NIKOLYAMK.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
or that the plastic clip on the pedal will snap! Fortunately, my Xantia has a hydraulic clutch.
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

Well I have to say I'm shocked about all this criticism, I love my Xantia, though admittedly I do have a 94 VSX auto, so my seats maybe better than the standard fit. I am by the way 6ft3in and 20+ stone, and find it hard to fit comfortably in most cars. I even have a footrest for left foot, but strangely that's the only thing that can give me grief. I often will drive 3-4 hrs in one go, and after that my left leg sometimes gives me grief, but only because it has been sat in the same position without a break, what with no clutch to work. Overall its the best for comfort on a long journey, though it doesn't have the room to spread of my old Carlton, its suspension more than makes up for it.
David Goddard
My Cars:

Post by David Goddard »

I have found the seats in my Xantia (Exclusive) really comfortable. True they can adjust in most directions. The pnuematic lumber supports (there are two) are the best I have ever found.
Long, none stop journeys are no problem in this car (cruise assists with resting the right leg).
HOWEVER - my wife dislikes the seats. Slips about on the leather, can't get her shoulders comfortable, head rests too slippery! I also think she has never got the hang of the multitudes of adjustments!
Her car:
Peugeot 306 - great car in so many ways. Strangely, the only thing I don't like are the seats. Can never get really comfortable. But my wife likes them!
Previous long term cars -
1998 Scenic - TERRIBLE. Quite the worst seats we have ever had. Had to use studding to increase the height at the front, also had to insert plywood under the cushions to get any sort of support. So bad, the car had to go after 6 months.
Rover 216 - designed for Japs. not my 6ft. Had to sit at an angle to get any support for my back. Rubbish seats. Wife agreed.
Cavalier - can't remember. Guess they must have been OK. My first experience of a Fuel Injected car, so foregave most things!
BX 16TRS - a good attempt at comfort and adjustability. We both liked them!
Volvo 240 of many, many years ago - excellent in it's day. Still our benchmark for seat comfort.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I'm quite surprised at the number of people finding the Xantia's seats uncomfortable. I'm 6'5" and I've always found the seats in mine very good (its a '97 base model).
In contrast, I had a 52 reg Mondeo Ghia as a company car for a while and I found that terrible on long journeys. After driving from Hull to Dorset in it I could hardly walk when I got out !
Nick