Help required with C5 Remote not working/Key FOB Reprogram ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

g_feb
My Cars:

Help required with C5 Remote not working/Key FOB Reprogram ?

Post by g_feb »

Hi guys,
I am new to the forum and looking for some help with my car (Citroën C5 HDI LX Hatchback 2.0 L Diesel Reg:02 VIN: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]) ). My car was actually stolen but recovered and now I am driving it. The problem is that I had to get the stering lock replaced, so I have a separate key for car ignition now and separate one for the doots central locking. The old key is working fine with the doors central locking but my key remote is not working anymore. I don't know how to check if something is wrong with the remote or its something else. Can someone please help me and tell me what can I do and if I can reprogramme the key myself or if its a garage/dealer's job or is it the case that I can not use my central locking remote any more?
Thanks for any help in advance.

g_feb
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

It's best not to multiple post the same query as sometimes answers can then be diluted across the different posts.

First question is - are both key fobs the oval type with buttons for remote locking? If they are you have two alternatives.

1) Open both fobs as if you are going to change the batteries and swap the complete printed circuit boards over. You don't even have to disconnect the batteries.

2) Put you new key into the ignition lock and press the lock button on the fob. Simultaneously turn the key so that all the dash lights come on and hold the button in for several seconds (5 or 10 seems to ring a bell). The new fob should then paired to the car for locking/unlocking.

If the new one is the plain type then it can be done but it's more complicated and involves a file, hacksaw and a Stanley knife. Why not simply put them on the same key ring in this case?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
g_feb
My Cars:

C5 FOB Key reprogramming advice ?

Post by g_feb »

Hi Paul-R
Thanks for reply. The new key which I have got for the ignition now is not a remote key but normal/(garage) key and I am using old key with 'Oval shape 3 buttons' for car central locking but after getting the staring lock replaced, the remote has stopped working.
I guess I should try the 2nd solution you have recommended.

Does key reprogramming got anything to do with side mirrors , as when I lock the car, the side mirrors are not going in as well. ?????

Thanks for the help again.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Re: C5 FOB Key reprogramming advice ?

Post by Paul-R »

g_feb wrote:Thanks for reply. The new key which I have got for the ignition now is not a remote key but normal/(garage) key and I am using old key with 'Oval shape 3 buttons' for car central locking but after getting the staring lock replaced, the remote has stopped working.
I guess I should try the 2nd solution you have recommended.
Yes, in a way. Put your new key in the ignition and then follow the process with the fob on the old, oval key.
g_feb wrote:Does key reprogramming got anything to do with side mirrors , as when I lock the car, the side mirrors are not going in as well.
Not as such but I seem to recall that locking the car with the key manually (instead of the oval remote) doesn't cause the door mirrors to retract so that's probably the problem.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

g_feb
My Cars:

Particle Filtre in Citroen C5 2.0L HDI LX

Post by g_feb »

I have recently started driving C5 (Reg:02, Mileage:76,600 Miles)and was reading on internet about Particle Filter and some specific liquid (quite expansive) in C5 2.2L.
Does 2.0L come with the same filter?. If so, then when is that filter required to be replaced and does liquid/oil is required to be refilled/change with filter change?

Thanks for earlier help as well.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Fortunately, your car, like mine, does not have a particle filter fitted.

I've just re-read your first post and noticed that yours is an LX model. I don't think they have automatic folding mirrors anyway so sorry to have mislead you on that.

C5Wonny
My Cars: Citroen C5 2002 SX Diesel

Re: Help required with C5 Remote not working/Key FOB Reprogram ?

Post by C5Wonny »

Both my key fobs on C5 LX Hatchback 2.0l d 2002 were working fine until today, I have one newish fob (4 yrs old) and an older one. Today, locked with my fob fine, went to shop for 10 mins with wife, came back and both fobs were not working. Had to use key to open car. Tried to Pair my fob by pressing lock button on fob and turning on ignition and waiting 30 secs. no confirmation bleep. Still both don't work. The lock button on the console works fine and will lock and unlock all the doors still. Both fobs have just lost connection with car. I have checked F2 fuse and that is fine. I have replaced CR1620 battery in my fob, but not working still.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Welcome to the C5’s troubles. :twisted:

Had that fault, the fob unlock button lost its glazed coating and lets water through the rubber to the printed board.
The rubber pad is cheap and easy to get and replace.
Mine came from Ebay and China and cost about AU$5.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
C5Wonny
My Cars: Citroen C5 2002 SX Diesel

Post by C5Wonny »

Thanks Clogzz, but it is not that problem with mine. Both are very dry and clean, and my one is looking immaculate inside and have put new battery in. It is something to do with the receiver in the car, as both fobs stopped working exactly the same time, but were working perfectly before.