C5 Parking sensor fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

trog1960

C5 Parking sensor fault

Post by trog1960 »

I have an 04 C5 and the parking sensors are indicating a fault (short beep followed by a longer one) So far, I've disconnected each sensor in turn with no change and disconnected all, again with no change.
Listening to each sensor I can hear a fast "ticking" which is presumably the sensor emitting.
I found the control box for them and it appears to be in good condition.....disconnected it and took the cover off and inspected the board and all appears OK and clean.
Completely disconnecting the control box eliminates the parking sensor failure warning but just disconnecting the sensors at the box gives no change.
Checked the reversing lights are working and tried disconnecting both tail light clusters which produced some odd results with other things but no effect on the parking sensors.
Any thoughts on what else I might try (other than bunging the main dealer loads of cash).
Thanks
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I would imagine by disconnecting each sensor in turn that you were introducing a fault as the sensor ciruit would go open circuit so this wouldnt really prove anything.
The usual cause of sensor failures is water ingress have you looked in at the pins of each sensor for corrosion. Maybe a resistance check of each sensor would show up something ?
You could try buying a new sensor & try them one by one ?
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

Another thing would be to check the angle of the sensors, I've known one be out of kilter and that give a fault as well.
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php
trog1960

Post by trog1960 »

Thanks....all connectors are very clean...don't know how to test the receive side is working but I doubt it's as simple as plain resistance.
civvie
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: different types over the years.when younger
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

Had the same problem on my old C5, it would beep when put in reverse then it was a continuous beep. I cured mine by laying on the ground at the back and twiddling the wires that went into the sensor, it cured it on mine.

Steve
Steve

C5 2.2hdi auto until I sell it (sold it) now have Peugeot 3008 1.6HDI (Now sold)
Had the jab a couple of days ago. Feb 21