Tyre Noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Allanxantia
My Cars:

Tyre Noise

Post by Allanxantia »

Posted before that I had what I though was the sound of wheel bearing on the way out but was hard to pinpoint. Well the car has WANLI S1108 tyres on it, and when you google "WANLI tyre noise" it all becomes clear. In 15 years of driving I have never known tyres to make this much noise. Doing a 3000 mile holiday over Easter and I am contemplating changing them beforehand, it is quite annoying and they don't even really grip that well.
2002 C5 V6 Exclusive auto LPG
1997 Xantia TD SX £200 bargain
1993 Xantia DLX (now dead)

Then after a 10 year Citroenless gap

1995N Xantia Activa
C.J.
My Cars:

Re: Tyre Noise

Post by C.J. »

Allanxantia wrote:Posted before that I had what I though was the sound of wheel bearing on the way out but was hard to pinpoint. Well the car has WANLI S1108 tyres on it, and when you google "WANLI tyre noise" it all becomes clear. In 15 years of driving I have never known tyres to make this much noise. Doing a 3000 mile holiday over Easter and I am contemplating changing them beforehand, it is quite annoying and they don't even really grip that well.
Had exactly the same problem with the tyres (Federal) on my Fabia.
I was absolutely convinced a wheel bearing or two had gone, but my friendly VAG techie checked it out and confirmed it was the tyres.
I doubly checked though, as I still had my doubts, by putting a spare set of wheels and virtually illegal tyres on for a very short run down the main road.
Hey presto, noise completely gone. :shock:

No more budget tyres for me thanks.
Colin

My cars:
1988 AX GT and still running sweet. Genuine 41 k only!!
2005 Skoda Fabia vRS 83k...and truly awesome.
Vauxhall Combo crew cab SE
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

Eriba Puck caravan now too!!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I've got Toyo Proxes CF1s on both our cars now, and have just ordered a third for the Xantia. They're budget price (well sort of - the Xantia one has come in at £75) but far from budget performance.
Richard W
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

RichardW wrote:I've got Toyo Proxes CF1s on both our cars now, and have just ordered a third for the Xantia. They're budget price (well sort of - the Xantia one has come in at £75) but far from budget performance.
Many Fabia owners rave about Toyo's.
I decided against them as I thought the tread pattern looked a bit too 'racy', sad I know. :lol:

Excellent tyres by all accounts, but soft compound meaning no last long.
Colin

My cars:
1988 AX GT and still running sweet. Genuine 41 k only!!
2005 Skoda Fabia vRS 83k...and truly awesome.
Vauxhall Combo crew cab SE
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

Eriba Puck caravan now too!!
Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

They were on the car when I bought it and have loads of tread so would really struggle to justify changing them

When I need tyres I always buy Nankang, they are really cheap but excellent grip and get great reviews. I run a couple of subarus and in fact have done a wet track day in Nankang NS2s and they were great. www.camskill.co.uk is always the cheapest place I've found they want £45 delivered for 215/55 16.

On trawling other car forums, there seem to be people who have been so convinced that they have actually changed wheel bearings because of Wali tyres.. hopefully no-one on here will now

1995N Xantia Activa
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Allanxantia wrote:Posted before that I had what I though was the sound of wheel bearing on the way out but was hard to pinpoint. Well the car has WANLI S1108 tyres on it, and when you google "WANLI tyre noise" it all becomes clear. In 15 years of driving I have never known tyres to make this much noise. Doing a 3000 mile holiday over Easter and I am contemplating changing them beforehand, it is quite annoying and they don't even really grip that well.
Wanlis are quite possibly the worst tyre I have ever experienced. I had them on my S1 XM when I got it back in 2004. Noisy, awful in the wet (snappy lift off oversteer in an XM TD??)not much better in the dry. They were almost new but I binned them off. Had the same problem with some other NEXEN rubbish on a Xsara - that wheel bearing sound you mention.

I'd just go and buy something else. I've got some cheapies on the front of my HDi labelled "Ecsta" or something similar. I'll find out later when I escape from the office. I've a friend who runs a little tyre shop, herecommened them. I thought they'd be awful, but he said I could change them if they were. 205/60/15 ,£40 a pop, and they're actually a pretty decent tyre. My journey to work involves 8 miles of lightly trafficed country roads and I do like to get a move on. I have more feel from these tyres than the Goodyear excellence that I have on the Activa.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Allanxantia wrote: WANLI S1108 ... they don't even really grip that well.
Im not surprised really :roll:

Ive used budget brands in the past which have given very bad tyre noise. I would be tempted to swap them for something better if possible. I have found some budget brands to be almost lethal in poor conditions, so an upgrade for safety if nothing else will be beneficial.

Ive been running the C5s on Michelins, not cheap but they are great tyres and suit the car very well. They are 215.55.16 - same as your C5. I have Michelin Pilots on my C5 which are good tyres, quiet and ride well with good grip, they are worn now and will need replacing soon. Ill be replacing them with Michelin Primacys which oure C5 estate wears and they are excellent. The Xm has Michelin EnergySavers which are very good too, quiet, give a nice ride and grip very nicely in all conditions.

My other choices are Pirelli, Goodyear (our C5 SX has goodyears) and Toyos.

Toyos are very grippy and quiet tyres as they do have a soft compound. However I had Toyo T1-Rs on my last C5 which wore out in 11/12K miles. At least 3K of those miles they were fitted to the back.

Michelins last far longer in my experience, £530 a set for the C5s though, bit steep.

Some budget brands are better than others, many mid range brands are very good to. Just finding a good tyre and avoiding the rubbish ones is the problem.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Activa_Mike wrote:.

I'd just go and buy something else. I've got some cheapies on the front of my HDi labelled "Ecsta" or something similar. I'll find out later when I escape from the office. I've a friend who runs a little tyre shop, herecommened them. I thought they'd be awful, but he said I could change them if they were. 205/60/15 ,£40 a pop, and they're actually a pretty decent tyre. My journey to work involves 8 miles of lightly trafficed country roads and I do like to get a move on. I have more feel from these tyres than the Goodyear excellence that I have on the Activa.
They are Kumho tyres, Ecsta is the model range. Ive had Kumhos in the past and have usually been very impressed with them.

Goodyear Excellence are disappointing, they grip quite well but they wear fast and often from the centres first, even when running the correct (or slightly under to compensate) tyre pressures.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Citroenmad wrote:
Activa_Mike wrote:.

They are Kumho tyres, Ecsta is the model range. Ive had Kumhos in the past and have usually been very impressed with them.

Goodyear Excellence are disappointing, they grip quite well but they wear fast and often from the centres first, even when running the correct (or slightly under to compensate) tyre pressures.
I wanted Kumho Ecstas on mine but couldn't get the size locally. Put Kumho Solus on the rear and Yokohama A-Drives on the front.
No complaints about either of them. Better than the Klebers they replaced.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Ecsta are a range of Kumhos - not all have the same tread.

I place KU-33 Ecstas above Yoki C-Drives from the point of back-to-back comparison on the same Xantia, under the same usage conditions. Of course, Mike may have fitted a different version of the Ecsta.
Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

as a cheapskate, michelins etc are out price range, the plan was to use the C5 for th holiday and maybe sell it later in the year, so don't want to plough lots of cash into it.

Hopefully a new C5 tourer awaits you see

1995N Xantia Activa
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

If its just a short term car, perhaps see if you can live with them.

Or maybe you could source some decent part-worns?
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Ran Goodyear Hydragrip for a while on the Xant which gave good all round performance, 25,000 miles + on the front. Moved to Goodyear Excellence and had the same experience of high central wear, only 18,000 miles life on the front. Switched to Toyo CF1 which gave, 28,000+ miles. With money seriously tight at the moment I've had to go budget and now have Debica or some such on the front, pleasantly surprise with quiet running and level of grip. Put them on in Feb so only done about 4000 miles on them so far, we will have to see how they last.
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

I rang the local Citroen dealer a few months ago, when 205 60 15 Michelin and some other brands were in short supply, well just not available at all, to ask about switching to 195 65 15 which are more common, and cheaper

Instead he recommended Hankook, saying they put them on all their cars
Spaces
Location: Rarely in one place for too long - Hebridean Islands and Yorkshire are my favourites
My Cars:

Post by Spaces »

BF Goodrich are Michelin's cheaper brand - they're ok. But in general, Mich for Citroen (esp real ones), Contis for VW/Audis and Pirelli for Alfas. Strange, innit! Four patches the size of your palm and it's your life in their hands. I always think of that on a wet night, cornering with an HGV approaching in the opposite direction.
PeterN: "Honest John's forum put the last nail in the coffin of owning a 2000- car. Many were still servicable, but CR, DMFs and needing fault codes read because your horn doesn't work - no thanks. All my life I have generally understood cars - until now."