Xantia 1.9 td sx couple of questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

redzzed
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9 td sx couple of questions

Post by redzzed »

Thx for the replies to my previous questions , have sorted out the suspension and front brakes and next will be radiator and wipers .

My radiator is rusted and the water is brown , ocassionally the STOP/temp light comes on even tho there is water in.Am planning to try Radweld firstly ; despite my mechanic telling me it may block the rad. and cause overheating in summer . If this doesnt work will consider another radiator .

Q: My car is a november 1997 Xantia 1.9 td sx a/c , when i recently replaced the front discs/pads the existing ones were of an ESTATE and not a saloon/hatchback , which my car is .(even tho i gave my reg. number to the garage beforehand , they had to re order the parts)
How can i tell if the radiator will be the same , or are saloon/estate rads both the same ?

2nd Q .
I need replacement front wipers and have looked on Ebay for my model
and all seem to be 20" and 24" for the two wipers , whereas mine "on the car" are both 21" , does anybody know or maybe it makes no difference .

thx in advance .

I am now getting about 44 mpg with this car btw .

dave
current : 1997 xantia 1.9 td sx a/c
previous cars :
1997 zx memphis td
1996 zx volcane td
1994 zx volcane td
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Pretty sure the fitted the larger brakes and discs to not-so-later TD hatchbacks, I know Jenny has them.

Rads are the same size, so estate/hatch, it doesn't matter, but I believe water pipe connectors can be different, some have bayonet type while others have push in and metal clip.

As for blades, 20/24 is right.
These have been getting good reviews, I've bought a pair but not needed to fit them yet.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0520132391
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
redzzed
My Cars:

Post by redzzed »

Thx Xac , i will probably go for those wipers .
previous cars :
1997 zx memphis td
1996 zx volcane td
1994 zx volcane td
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Rads with bayonet pipe connectors can be a right PITA..

They can be so difficult you feel like fixing bayonets yourself and going after the designer of the wretched things and giving him a taste of the old cold steel as Corporal Jones was apt to say :twisted:

That said, effective cooling on a 1.9TD is critical to a long-lived and happy head gasket. Marginal cooling will surely see it off prematurely so if you have any concerns about the rad at all, renew it.. A rad, even with bayonets, is a lot easier than a head gasket job.

If you are unlucky enough to have bayonets, I can explain precisely how to deal with them and have a happy outcome.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Later S1 TD SX Cars DID have the Larger disks as stated by Xac, if they were wrong you would know about it, as the disk would foul on the caliper...

Being a 1997 it will be Bayonet, it IS a PITA, I hate them and useually change the bottom hose also a PITA and top hose and fit the older style rad with hose clips...

Im not a fan of Rad seal stuff, especially on an XUD engine, and if your water is Brown that can be BAD news indeed.. The XUD gaskets can and DO block up in the water ways quite easilly with rust when theres a lack of anti freeze, so putting in Rad seal, could very well block one of these up..

Need I say much more??

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

easy way to check if you have bayonet fitting, look at the top hose conection,

if bayonet the nose end fitting goes into the kneck of the rad, then a thin spring steel clip sits into three slots around the rad kneck to hold the pipe/hose in place,

although i think you should have the older type with spung external hose clips, as it should be a true/full MK1,

were my 98 R reg is boarder line to being a MK2, and has the orible bayonet type rad,

regards malcolm
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There appear to be 3 MK 1 1.9TD Rads....

Type 1: everything up to RP 6535 (29/09/04)
Type 2: RP 6536 to RP 7482 (03/05/97)
Type 3: RP 7483 (04/05/97) on

It looks like only type 3 uses the dreaded bayonet fixing. So if yours was reg Nov 96 then it was built before RP 7482 and should be the middle (non bayonet :P ) type.
Richard W
redzzed
My Cars:

Post by redzzed »

Thx again for the replies and advice, i suspect that i got type 3 . but maybe someone could confirm, here it is:

in case anyone could take the time to have a look and confirm
previous cars :
1997 zx memphis td
1996 zx volcane td
1994 zx volcane td
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i could not get your link to work,

if you send your chassis/VIN No. i will get the OE part No. specific to your car from service citroen,

regards malcolm
lukkis
My Cars:

Post by lukkis »

redzzed wrote:Thx again for the replies and advice, i suspect that i got type 3 . but maybe someone could confirm, here it is:
in case anyone could take the time to have a look and confirm
It seems just as under my bonnet, so it is the bayonet type of fitting. That is a real PITA to change. While changing the radiator, take new O-rings also. Even if the spare part guy tells that there is only for the other end, they are similar on both ends. It will be tight at the lower hose, take all rust off that will help the fitting. Also some lubricant (I used the engine water).
redzzed
My Cars:

Post by redzzed »

Bummer , if it is a type 3 , i wanted to do it myself but am ham fisted and will
have to pay to get it done.Might well look around for a 2nd hand one first .

The chassis number is : VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
not sure of Vin number , but the vehicle plate has :
02*93/81*0006*02 as well as the chasis number above .

the radiator (is rusty) but seems to have this on top :
CCA1 in white within a square and 21 04 9# , i think , where # is unknown number .
I can get the Vin number from the logbook , which is elsewhere just now .

thanks for your offer Malcolm and i will take it up with you when u have time .Also thanks to Lukkis .

dave
previous cars :
1997 zx memphis td
1996 zx volcane td
1994 zx volcane td
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

that is the later bayonet fitting :roll: ,

and the chassis/VIN are one and the same as VIN = vheical identification No.,

and when i fitted a new rad with this type of coupling i had to fit new top and bottom rad hose's, as the metal end which holds the seal in place had rustted away,

i did try the second hand route but the rust at the pipe ends had damaged the sealing suface inside the rad kneck's,

here is price and part No. of the rad for your car

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
00001301GL RADIATOR NEW 374.37 GBP 449.24 GBP 449.24 GBP

you can use that part No. at the motor factors to cross ref there No.'s,

and here is price and part No. for the seals

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
00001343Z4 END-PIEC GASKET 0.53 GBP 0.64 GBP 0.64 GBP

regards malcolm
redzzed
My Cars:

Post by redzzed »

Thx for the info malcolm , am a bit intimidated by the price but am investigating various options , someone thinks he can get me one for under £100 .

Never had all these problems with my Zx's :rant2:
previous cars :
1997 zx memphis td
1996 zx volcane td
1994 zx volcane td
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the other option is to swap the hole lot for the earlier system,

earlier rad and top and bottom rad hose's ,

dont be concerned about that price either, as the idea of me posting that info, was to aim the part No. at a local factors to cross ref it with there supplier's,

be very carefull when/if buying cheap rads from the likes of fleabay,

as they can be crap baddly made out of cheap matireals,

i bought mine from GSF and it bseems fine and that was around the £100 quid,

regards malcolm
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Like Malcolm, I bought replacement rad from GSF, about 18 months ago, similar price - no complaints about quality. Fortunately mine is a "type 2" so no bayonets

I think you may find rads differ depending on whether you have aircon
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )