High CO emissions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

leonardo

High CO emissions

Post by leonardo »

My 1996 AX 1l debut suprisingly failed its MOT because the CO emissions are too high (0.68 rather than the 0.3 limit) and the Lambda reading was only just in 1.02 (the limit is 1.03). Has anyone any suggestions?
The reason I said surprisingly is that I only had a new Cat fitted in September (by a national chain not using genuine Citroen part).
The only suggestion I've had is to take it to a Citroen garage to be plugged in for a diagnostic to see what's wrong. Has anyone any idea how much this is going to cost?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

leonardo -
Have a look on the thread below -
though it's on Xantia - the Topic & problem is still valid for any Cat & lambda fitted car :
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=3463
leonardo

Post by leonardo »

Well I'm off to a Citroen dealer on Thursday to be linked to the diagnostic for £30 (+ VAT). I'm interested in the other case 'though. And if the diagnotics come up with nothing I think its time for 1 of GSF's bargain priced air filters ...
PS Why do GSF not do Lambda sensors for AX but do for BX according to the catalogue or are they the same? And why does it not come on the online shop or is a Lambda probe the same as the sensor? Please I'm confused!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Leonardo -
Lambda sensor - OR - Lambda probe - it's the same - only a single device on your car is a Lambda "thingy".
A lambda sensor is a standard sensor - giving out a standardised electric signal - exactly matching the Oxygene amount in the exhaust gas.
All cars use the same Lambda sensor - but the sensor itself has a couple of different versions :
3 wires : Lambda signal & earth (chassis) for the signal. The 3.rd wire is 12V for the heater element (using the housing as earth).
4 wires : as above - but here a separate wire also exists for the heater element earth (housing not connected).
Some car manufacturers may specify special connector on the cabling & special threading for screw-in - which adds up to the versions possible - but basically they are still interchangeable on the electric function.
GSF lists a 3 & 4 wire universal type - for both BX & AX.
You simply have to look for the wires count on your Lambda sensor - then choose accordingly.
leonardo

Post by leonardo »

Well what a palava!
The Citroen dealer has done a full diagnostic and everything is fine, inc Lambda sensor. They redid the emission test and took out the air filter. Emissions are still too high. What they spotted was that my cat was too small and suggested I should have got a genuine Citroen one. I now have to sort out with the nationwide chain why they supplied the wrong and inadequate cat last September. Should I get a refund and take my business to Citroen(unlikely to be offered) or get a new one fitted as it ios still under guarantee? One of the mechanics took a cat off his fiat to increase performance and said my CO reading were similar to his so basically my cat is doing sweet FA.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If the cat & work is warranted - then let these chain guys sort out the problems.
If they can't - it's a full refund business.
If they can not bring the car within emissons regulations using their "correct" parts - then it may even be a legal business.
It's simlpy illegal drivng a car not applying to emissions regulations.
They should not replace a cat on any car - if the car then afterwards can not apply to emissions requirements.
leonardo

Post by leonardo »

I went to the national chain and they said there was nothing wrong with the cat and that was that. They banged and couldn't hear the battles moving. I went to another branch who couldn't understand why it had been soldered on to the link pipe. Again they said there was nothing wrong with the cat, but if I went to Citroen dealer and got new cat fitted and passed the emmission test they wouild refund me. I rang the dealer up and it was going to be £330 (it cost £188 at the chain). Feeling aggrieved that I was go to end up £140 out of pocket over this, I rang the MOT centre up and they told me that the chain had no way of checking if the cat was working or not and coatings coming off were a big cause of cat problems. I rang teh chains Head Office and said I should have been offered a replacement cat under the terms of the guarentee. They rang the branch who said I'd walked out and told them not to bother! The HO office arranged for me to get a replacement cat fitted, as they didn't believe the branch. 4 days later (yes this big chain couldn't get it any quicker) and I had it fitted (and they wanted to know what idiot had soldered the cat on last time!).
I've been for an MOT retest this morning and my CO emissions are well within the limits now. So I shall not be taking my business there again.
A thought though: How come Citroen were wanting to charge so much when the cat buying from GSF is only £105!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

GSF price does not cover labour & facilities overhead - which the Citroen garage cost does.
Add to this a (good) touch of "branding" - using "genuine" parts [8D]