Xantia-Ressurection?-The difficult bit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Xantia-Ressurection?-The difficult bit

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Oh dear-10 items on the pink VT30 this time. I've only done 4,386 miles since the last green VT20. I think my tester is getting harsher.

I don't want to bother forum members with all 10 but the most difficult bit seems to be:-

Center front power steering component (s) leaking [2.3.1b]

So far I have just had a cursory look, with the tester indicating that the source of the leak would appear to be around the pinion area. No huge pools of LHM, no problems with the feel or precision of the steering but enough of a leak for a failure. I've done a bit of a forum search and seen some prices for a replacement steering rack- Probably over 4 x the price I paid for the whole car!

The pinion seals repair kit at around £30 would be do-able apart from the fact that the opinions gleaned from the forum so far are that doing this job is bordering on impossible.

I do have a spares Xantia still lying around with a 134,000 mile steering rack on it which may come to my rescue.

Ive taken a bit more interest than normal in Chapter 11 section 20 of the Haynes Manual the 4 spanner job of "Steering Gear Assembly removal overhaul and refitting". Surprised to see no mention of any steering column dismantling and a "carefully withdraw the steering gear from the right hand side of the vehicle" without any subrame dropping or anything.

If someone one the forum has done a steering rack removal I would appreciate any contributions from their experienes which may help me.

Thanks

Neil
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

May sound stupid but my 2.1TD Xantia had a leakage return pipe that had popped out of its little spigot. I just popped it back in, you can see it by getting under the car and looking up at the steering rack from underneath, worth checking out!

If the MOT man failed it on that he's a harsh bast.. for not just plugging it back in for you!
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Steering racks do not come out easyilly.. you REALLY do need to drop the subframe - only slightly though!

I had a pinion valve go on my SX TD Xantia...

The steering colum in the car has to come off the lower UJ rod, then you can take the lower UJ off the pinion... 6x 6mm allen bolt holds that on... accessable through the wheel arch..

Then released system pressure, and spun the steering lock to lock a few times to empty the Ram..

Then undone the feed and return pipes, which are not that hard... and popped the track rod ends off...

I would NOT try and remove the pinion valve in its sitting position, as the two Ram to pinion pipes are Excessivly tight!!

Drop the subframe at the drivers side after removing the two rack securing bolts - 17mm IIRC - you dont have to remove it all the way.. I also think I undid the lower engine mount bolt.. dont worry the engine wont go anywhere its held in at the top obviously...

Once the subframe was down a little I got the rack out... I had to lower the frame as the pinion valve just would NOT pass through... not sure how haynes did it...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have done a pinion in situe easy except the 12mm pipe nut as Paul says were very tight, and no room to swing a long enough spanner for the amount of leverage required,

in the end i used a cut down 12mm open ended pipe/flare nut spanner,

put in place then with a very long drift gave it a sharp blow on the end,

this was enough to loosen the pipe nuts,

the rest of the job is very easy,

regards malcolm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have done a pinion in situe easy except the 12mm pipe nut as Paul says were very tight, and no room to swing a long enough spanner for the amount of leverage required,

in the end i used a cut down 12mm open ended pipe/flare nut spanner,

put in place then with a very long drift gave it a sharp blow on the end,

this was enough to loosen the pipe nuts,

the rest of the job is very easy,

the replacement pinion came from Martin at Pleiades,

regards malcolm
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Done in-situ as well; used a crowsfoot on the flare nuts.
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks for the replies
I am off to get myself a box of blue gloves and start the process. I will attempt removal of the rack from the spares Xantia first which should be good practice if nothing else. Having stood for a couple of years its completely flat to the ground so the first problem will be getting it jacked up and probably just getting the wheels off!
I thought the haynes account would be over optimistic!

Thanks Neil
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You have got a harsh MOT man there, mine wouldn't have failed it for that - unless the fluid was pouring out.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

just paddling about the internet-a £49 rack from eurocarparts? (scroll down to product no 3 on the link)

eurocarpartsracks

is it too cheap to actually work?

Neil
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

If its a refurb then dont touch it with a barge pole, ive been down this road several times, £50 is a fair price for a worn out rack thats been cleaned and painted though.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Now you tell me - I've got high bid on a refurbed 605 rack.

What modes of failure would you cheerfully predict?

Thanks, Adam.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

That ECP rack looks like it's a manual one not a PAS one.....
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

or it dont come with the ram,

regards malcolm
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

I found that they use cheap aftermarket boots, held on with zip ties or similar and they dont fit properly so after a few turns lock to lock they dropped off, the pinion and rack was worn and overtightened to remove the play and the pinion seamed to be full of red power steering fluid and two had bolts sheered off in the PAS ram mounts :roll: .
I went through 5 racks i think all of which were in a worse condition than the one i exchanged.
To be fair im surprised they can bring the unit in, clean it, fit some cheap boots, lube and paint it then pay to ship it out and make some money for the £75 it cost me with the exchange but then i guess thats the point.

Sorry to be all doom and gloom but the price dictates quality will be poor and the chances are its the state of the exchanged rack that came in. yours may be fine but do check it carefully.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Hmm... Something tells me you haven't just bought a 605 and are trying to outfox me on bidding. :lol: