I was recovered

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boristhespie
My Cars:

I was recovered

Post by boristhespie »

Had to be recovered by the ADAC last night. Afyer decent trip my front wheels started wobbling. Stopped in a Ludls carpark. Anyway guy said my caliper had siezed and the heat had melted the ball joint rubber jobbo.

I had the brake pads replaced a couple of weeks back. A week ago we smelled a burning plastic smell and burnt my fingers on the disc. Antway the replaced the caliper. A day later took back with smell. They checked but found nowt. Said handbrake cable may pull on when tuening due to tightness (?!!).

Anyway the wobble happened last night and took to garage today ( car was dropped at house)

Seems otherside has intermittent seizing (?).

So another new caliper and now ball joint. Guy recivering dud say they should have checked and seen problen at time brake pad replacement.

Mechanic friend said similar thing without prompting.

Me? Dunno. Fed up of cars.
C'est pas possible!
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Its quite a possible thing on C5s.

I had mine stick on on while I was driving motorway speeds, that did make a good mess of the disk and the smoke was so bad I could hardly see when I stopped.

I had the car to a Citroen Indy who replaced the handbrake cables and guide tubes. They failed to noticed the sticking caliper.

I removed the caliper, worked some lubricant agent into the handbrake lever arrangement and put it back on. It never gave me any further problems.

If this happens to you, once the brake has cooled, put the steering on full lock and prise the leaver on the caliper towards the front of the car. This releases the brakes and you will be able to drive on, as long as your pads/discs are not totally ruined or further damage has been done.
Last edited by Citroenmad on 21 Mar 2011, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I pulled up at a road juction the other day in the 406 to see clouds of blue smoke round the back of the car, thought it had suddenly startrd burning oil - it hadn't, it was coming from the n/s rear brake :shock: seems to be OK now but I am waiting for a caliper as it was sticking when I first had the car, just replaced the disc, pads and shoes.

Peter
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Rear 406's are a dual braking system Peter... The disk calipers are common for sticking.. The hand brake works on the shoes inside the drum!!

So theres 3 lots of brakes pads... 2 pads and 1 shoes.. That puts me off a bit really..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes I know Paul, I replaced the disc/drum and fitted new handbrake shoes but it still doesn't work very well, you keep on having to take the wheel off and adjust it :x

Peter
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

should be able to adjust through the back of drum Peter?

john
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

If that was a Xantia, it's possible the garage installed the pads incorrectly which could cause a pad to jam in the caliper.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Was c5. Getting new calipEr which garage said was sticking intermittently when rotating wheel and new ball joint cos the heatbmelted it. Apparently the mot will soin mark any holes in boots a fail under new rules.

Just bummed re cost.
C'est pas possible!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

When I first saw this thread I thought it was a post to say you were better from some terrible illness Boris :lol:
boristhespie wrote:Apparently the mot will soin mark any holes in boots a fail under new rules.
As far as I understand, that's always been the case with any boots around steering and suspension components...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi John

As far as I know there is only a hole in the front of the drum which means taking the wheel off, then its fiddly because you can't see the adjuster very easily.

Peter
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Another £188 on top of the £160 last week and the £260 for pads etc a couple of weeks ago.

The handbrake feels okay now, although STOP light came on when driving away (Fingers crossed) and plastic burning smell was there in wheel arch.

However given how the handbrake felt last time (it had no play, was straight on hard to pull) I can't help but wonder if what the mechanic that recovered me and the other guy I know were right.

Maybe the handbrake cable was set too tight?

Just seem strange that none of this was picked up previosuly but maybe I am just pissed.

Fed up with cars.
C'est pas possible!
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I don't think C5s like you, Boris :(
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Uh Huh
C'est pas possible!
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

However given how the handbrake felt last time (it had no play, was straight on hard to pull) I can't help but wonder if what the mechanic that recovered me and the other guy I know were right.
Sounds very likely.
If the caliper was sticking internally, the handbrake would feel loose and have more movement that usual, if anything. The cable would quite possibly fall off the caliper, too, if the h/b mechanism was sticking (which is fairly common).
It is possible that the cables are partially seized, though.
Did the garage demonstrate the sticking caliper?
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

He showed me the furst calioer after it was taken off. It didn't look as bad as I thought. The second he didn't show. He said it stuck only intermittently and that the wheel rotated most of yge time. Probjem was whole car shook when driving that day as if wheel was about to fall off and brake was red hot. The guy recovering said that was calipet gripping. Had taken back to garage after day ( after first caliper changed) because of tge burning smell but the garage couldn't find something. Both mechanics recivery and friend said garage should have checked brakes and identifued problems when fitting new pads and questioned why problems began then. Tgey said they must be related and may be the result of not doing something correctly. I think they set my handbrake too tight which pulled the brakes on when on twist roads. The recovery came after very twisty road. Too late now. Fed up of the cash I keep having to spend. But c'est la vie
C'est pas possible!