LHM Leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ref

LHM Leak

Post by Ref »

Hi Guys, i couldn't find where exactly it's coming from but it's dripping on the gear box, also on the rear height corrector there was a bit of green!, Thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

What model of car is this Ref? There are so many variants that generic advice cannot be given...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ref

Post by Ref »

CitroJim wrote:What model of car is this Ref? There are so many variants that generic advice cannot be given...
it's '94 1.8, 8 valve petrol.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Ref :D Describe please exactly whereabouts on the gearbox. Was it in the vicinity of the pressure regulator or at the back of the gearbox?

Also, same for the rear height corrector, whereabouts exactly?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ref

Post by Ref »

CitroJim wrote:Thanks Ref :D Describe please exactly whereabouts on the gearbox. Was it in the vicinity of the pressure regulator or at the back of the gearbox?

Also, same for the rear height corrector, whereabouts exactly?
it seems to be coming somewhere near the gearbox drain plug and about the rear corrector it's coming from the back, Thanks Jim.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ref, excellent :D I'd say the LHM on the gearbox is originating from under the LHM reservoir and the lost likely culprit is a leaky anti-sink valve, that's if it has one of course as a '94 model might be a sinker and won't have an anti-sink valve..

If not that then another potential candidate is the runner portion of the power steering pinion valve return pipe. The rubber joins onto a metal pipe in the vicinity and often on the bulge in the pipe where it fits over the flared end of the metal pipe it perishes and weeps...

The height correctors themselves very rarely leak. It's more likely to be a perished leakage return connection to it. The leakage return pipe is hard plastic but between it and the spigot on the height corrector body is a short length of rubber pipe. This may be off, gone very hard or perished.

The best way to find out for sure is top give the affected areas a good cleanup and then watch very carefully for the first sights of leakage; that'll help spot where they are originating from...
Jim

Ref

Post by Ref »

Thanks Jim :)
as far as i know sinkers would sink to the lowest setting when parked (correct me if i'm wrong), if so mine doesn't do that therefor it's not a sinker (or it might)

i would say that the leak is not that huge since i always check the LHM level and so far it's normal,

would you please shed some light on how to get to check the steering pinion and the anti sink valve since the area seems to be inaccessible.
about the HC i will do as you advised, Thanks again Jim!
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

CitroJim wrote:... If not that then another potential candidate is the runner portion of the power steering pinion valve return pipe. The rubber joins onto a metal pipe in the vicinity and often on the bulge in the pipe where it fits over the flared end of the metal pipe it perishes and weeps...
Great help/diagnosis CitroJim 8-)

I would also think the front leak is from the steering pinion valve ( or the anti-sink seal :? ).
It might be the top seal, I had this problem :roll: Solution: Pinion valve removed and all seals replaced.

Ref, if they tell you that you have to change the valve (expensive) don't say yes to that because
it's cured with seal change which is much cheaper.

You'll get help here but try to identify the leak source.
Tip: I use my digital camera to see or reach difficult places in my Xantia :wink:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:
Here's a pic sent by John in his blog.
Pinion and the seals are seen:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2fj8MH_LeQ0/S ... +apart.JPG

and this is the blog page link where other pics are shown
http://xantiablog.blogspot.com/2008_08_01_archive.html
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

On an RHD car, Vertvega, the pinion valve won't leak onto the gearbox as it's on the other side! On an LHD car it most certainly would of course. Ref, I'm assuming yours is RHD but if it's LHD then the pinion valve would be a good starting point as VertVega says...

I'd start by removing the LHM reservoir and having a good look under it. The anti-sink valve will look like a tubular thing with two black metal caps. Often they can weep from the end caps. Also under the LHM reservoir is a rubber leakage return junction that looks like an "F" on its side. I've known it split and leak.

Also, if you follow the second largest pipe back down from the LHM reservoir this'll eventually terminate on the pinion valve return pipe. It takes a tortuous route but by looking down from where the reservoir sits, the wet area should be visible and give a clue as to where the leak is occurring.

If this is inconclusive, jack up and fully and adequately support the car at the front and have a good look with a bright torch. Again, fresh wet LHM should give a clue as to where the leak is occurring.
Jim

Ref

Post by Ref »

Thanks guys for the great help..
The car is LHD Jim
I will have a look in the morning and check as you said.
Thanks again :)
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

CitroJim wrote:On an RHD car, Vertvega, the pinion valve won't leak onto the gearbox as it's on the other side! On an LHD car it most certainly would of course. Ref, I'm assuming yours is RHD but if it's LHD then the pinion valve would be a good starting point as VertVega says...
Good point, I always forgot the LHD and RHD issues :oops:
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual