OT: help in setting up a Frontera fuel pump

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Jaf
My Cars:

OT: help in setting up a Frontera fuel pump

Post by Jaf »

Hi guys, sorry to ask about a different make of car but this is the best forum I've ever found.

Hope you can help. The car is question is a 1995 2.3TD Vauxhall Frontera. It's a friend's car and I'm looking for some advice please.

The car had water in the oil and vice versa, a mechanic (advertises as a "Car paramedic"!) changed the head gasket. It wouldn't run and he said the turbo had been destroyed by the head gasket particules getting in it. Second hand turbo fitted. Still wouldn't run so he's had the fuel pump off and had it rebuilt. 2 goes later at setting up the pump and he still can't get it running. He tow started it and it ran for a bit but sounded very rattly so it was turned off again.

My dad and me went over today to have a look. The crankshaft and camshaft are lined up correctly. But when dad took the pump out with the engine at TDC (with the cam marking pointing upwards as described in the Haynes) the marking dot on the pump was not pointing at number 1 injector pipe. Tried the Haynes but couldn't find anything about setting up the pump. Put it back in with the pump marker pointing at number 1 pipe but unfortunately it would start. Bled the fuel system but no success.

Can anyone advise on where the pump marker should be set to? Was wondering if perhaps it should be a few degrees before TDC...have found on the crankshaft OT markings and a P marking, wondered if that stands for Pump?

They are really fed up, the car's been off the road for 2 months now. If it's not fixed soon they'll be setting it alight.

Thanks in advance, Jaf
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.