Bad LHM leak........Help : )

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fridgedoc
My Cars:

Bad LHM leak........Help : )

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi Guys

The old xantia's been running OK had to change clutch last year and the glow plugs right in the middle of winter and I did all 4 of them (hay-ho)

My problen now is LHM fluid is peeing out what looks like the base of the accumulator sphere? it's very difficult to see exactly where, anyone got any idea please

Many thanks

Stephen
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1994 (deceased)
LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Stephen,

You'll most likely find, unless the sphere seal has given up (very unusual), the return hose has split. That's the thick rubber hose that attaches to the round black plastic cap on the side of the pressure regulator.

What model of Xantia is it? The pipes are very different between models.

Other than that, give the whole regulator a really good clean up using brake cleaner and then watch very carefully where the leaking LHM appears to originate from.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
fridgedoc
My Cars:

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi Jim

Thanks for the reply? know the pipe you mean, will check tomorrow.

Many thanks

Stephen
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the pipe may well not be split, it is possible the thin white plastic seapage return has poped out of the short rubber pipe Sir Jim talk's about,

if this happens it means there is to much presure in the trickle return system,

a flat acumalator sphere can cause this,

regards malcolm
fridgedoc
My Cars:

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi Jim & all

found the leak it's on the pipe from the pump to the lhm tank, it was swollen where it was clamped, being in the land of Citroen you would think it would be easy to get the hose .......no chance will have to wait till Monday before they can tell me when it will be available : (
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
fridgedoc
My Cars:

Post by fridgedoc »

Hello Guys

Ouch!!!! just got the price for the pipe 175 euros plus tva (vat) flipping heck..... questions:

is this a high pressure hose?

is this just hydraulic hose?

apart from main dealer is there someone else that can supply?

Many thanks

Stephen
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

It is unfortunately combined with the main return pipe, they're melded together near the lhm tank/gearbox.
I got a replacement from a breakers by sawing through the melded bit, but it evetually split so now I'm running with Jim's spare V6 pipe which I need to find a permanent replacement for.
Garden hose works for a while, lay it in a long curve from the tank to the pump over the top of the engine without any kinks, but it eventually goes hard.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
fridgedoc
My Cars:

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi Xac

that is interesting you saying a bit of garden hose, the original pipe is very thick walled, very reinforced pipe as if high pressure hose? maybe reinforced petrol hose would do to replace?
just to re-instate this pipe runs from the top of the pump to the lhm tank, and looking from the front of the vehile is fitted to the very front connection on the top of the tank and does not seem to be welded to another pipe, your thoughts please.
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

its not high presure just high volume, but it must be citro blood compatable,

regards malcolm
fridgedoc
My Cars:

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi Malcolm

thanks for your input, interesting, how does one find out what is compatable, it has a small bore compared to the ext dia of the pipe and shows multi-stranded braid which tells me high pressure hose, not that I am saying your wrong just that it's that type of pipe, I think I will try and get a lenth of hydraulic pipe maybe not the same as lhm but I am guessing similar, I'm not paying 175 euros plus for a bit of pipe!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks all for your input, any more thoughts welcome.

just an afterthought, maybe it is hydraulic pipe that is compatable, which is what they have used although not strictly needed but suits the purpose, compatable.
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Hello Stephen, I replaced the first section on mine with EFI fuel hose.

There was a minimal amount of farnarkling about to get the hose ends on (being the cussed mob they are, from memory one spigot is different to the other in size). It has been fine since - probably 25K of hard miles.

Cheers, Adam.
fridgedoc
My Cars:

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi Guys

Firstly a BIG thank you all for your input.

I have ended using petrol hose which is working a treat but lhm was still p***ing out on the floor, leaking from seal on sphere Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!
I know I've got one somewhere but can I find it : ( so I have fitted one from a box of "O" rings hope it will last a while.

The last time I bought lhm it was approx 7.50 euros this time it was 13.50 euros is it that expensive in the UK?

Out of trouble again

Thanks

Stephen
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

Fridgedoc, things in general have got very expensive in France. We've been here 5 years and have noticed a big increase. Car parts are a good example, even though we are 'on the doorstep' so-to-say. Whenever I can I buy in UK.

The French adopt a much different attitude to selling. Much of this due to the lack of effective customer rebellion - despite what would be considered unbelievably bad customer service by Brits., the French just put up with it. Try taking something back for a refund. Try to get a faulty item replaced under guarantee; maybe they will send it away for mending if you're lucky, no replacement in the meantime. We have some friends who have been without their fridge for 3 months because it needs to be mended.

And the same with private selling - they would never reduce the price to get something sold.

And the final rant - secondhand prices for anything, especially cars, is on another plane. Last year I saw a rather nice Xantia 1.8 16V 1997. It had only 110000 km (65000miles); but the price? €8800 or 7300 in real money!!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I find that really encouraging, seeing the French appreciate real merit of a car!

If people don't realise what they're on the verge of losing forever (large, comfy private vehicles) then they probably deserve to spend the balance of their life in hybrid diesels the size of a Smart or less...
fridgedoc
My Cars:

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi rmunns

We have been here 4 years and I can only agree with most of what you say, I have taken things back and had no problem (touch's wood) but customer service normally is "NIL" !!!!!!

People say you have to take the postage into account when you buy from the UK but the local postage is just as much, I bought a woodturning lathe from the UK, I was lucky a friend brought it over for me the thing is it was a French product label attached (made in the far east) but I saved over £100 which was over 25% and delivery would have been almost the same.

There are rules just like in the UK re: returns and refunds, there are leaflets available but I find if you make a fuss and keep saying "manager" it tends to get you what you want or quote the name of the leaflet which escapes me at the moment but if you can't find it let me know and I'll dig it out.
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline