Xantia 1.9td Water pump gasket .. personal choice?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ed4ferrets
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9td Water pump gasket .. personal choice?

Post by ed4ferrets »

Hi, I'm not having success with the search option.

Is the gasket supplied adequate or should one either replace or supplement with a silicone gasket maker (or any other type)?

I used a silicone on it's own when replacing the pump because the gasket had disappeared :? . I felt uneasy about it and removed the pump to find all the silicone had squished out although the bolts were not tight!

Anyway I have again found the gasket but would like some expert advice to put my mind at rest when I put the pump on again tonight please.

Cheers

Ed
Ed

'63 Renault Caravelle - stored
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Estate - matrix done:))
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I had to change my pump about three months ago, as the (cheap) one I fitted started to leak. To be fair it was all I could find at the time as I wanted one that day.

When I replaced it I just cleaned the aperture all up (take your time with this), use some emery if needed to ensure its perfect as its easy to miss a bit of old gasket due to a slight lack of space, although you might not have as little space as me.

I just used the supplied gasket this time, no sealant. If purchasing pump, ensure it comes with a gasket, I would not buy one without as they are a pain to try to find on their own.

Anyway, no leaks. :)

Different car (see my signature) same engine though.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Using the GSF supplied pumps, I've never had a problem with sealing using the supplied gasket. Follow Andy's very good advice about really cleaning up the gasket face on the block.

I use an old, blunt wood chisel to carefully remove any remaining stubborn bits of gasket...

I then smear both sides of the gasket in Vaseline before fitting. I'm not sure if it helps but it's an old trick my dad taught me and it always seems to help...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The most effective way I have found to use silicone sealant is to run a bead of it around whatever it is you are fitting, the night before and let it set, it forms a nice rubber gasket but is still soft enough to squeeze out. I don't think I have ever had a leak doing that.

Peter
ed4ferrets
My Cars:

Post by ed4ferrets »

cheers lads, good stuff.. I've also been told Hylomar Blue is excellent for the job.

Will know tomorrow anyway and hopefully Xant will be up and running this weekend, touch wood..
Ed

'63 Renault Caravelle - stored
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Estate - matrix done:))
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I use ordinary bathroom sealant - much cheaper :D
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I used Hylomar Blue when water pump changed on Xantia - no leaks :)

Many years ago, I had a couple of Reliant Scimitars with the F*rd V6 engine, which has heated inlet manifold sitting between the 2 banks of cylinders. The interface was always a weak point for coolant leaks, and the reommendation was to use Hylomar Blue, along with genuine F*rd gasket, which never gave further problems. The Blue is supposed to remain flexible, and IIRC, there was also Hylomar Red (non-flexible)
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )