Accumulator not ticking anymore (Xantia)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jaf
My Cars:

Accumulator not ticking anymore (Xantia)

Post by Jaf »

Hi guys, this is going to sound stupid but I can't hear the accumulator/ pressure regulator assembly ticking anymore. A couple of weeks ago it was terrible, ticking every second, so I changing the accumulator sphere (an amtex one from GSF). I also removed the 11mm bolt from the end of the pressure regulator and put a seal behind it as there was a leak. Now the new accumulator seems to be working fine as the brakes work with the engine off (they didn't before I replaced it). I used to be able to hear it tick from the driver's seat and feel the tick through the brake pedal. I've sat in the car with the engine running for 5 mins and also tried putting a bit of metal piping to the accumulator assembly but I can't hear it tick. I'm only worried in case the pressure regulator is about to blow up or cause some damage somewhere if it's running continually.

Thanks in advance, Jaf
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Did you catch the metal bearing that is behind the 12mm bolt on the regulator?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

There's another way to tell. Put the car up on high and it should tick a little more frequently and again, if you listen as the car is rising a little after an initial start it should tick a few times as it reaches ride height and everything settles in the pressurised state.

You can also tell by directly listening to the pump. When it's working hard building pressure it will sound a bit like a machine-gun (a muffled drrr-drrr-drrr-drrr sound) When the system is up to pressure the pump will run completely silently. You can tell by placing a screwdriver on the pump body and placing the other end against your ear to create a stethoscope.

Some regulators do tick silently and it just may be that your hydraulics are so good the level of leakage is so low that once up to pressure it stays there for ages.

You should hear the pump cut in (as signified by the machine gun sound) if you go from normal to high. Pressure will be called for and the pump will run. The machine gun sound should be brief and then cut out.

It can be hard to hear the tick on a diesel above the clatter.

If the regulator was not regulating, something would have let go by now. I've seen pictures where an accumulator has exploded but this would surely be preceded by leaks...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Xac wrote:Did you catch the metal bearing that is behind the 12mm bolt on the regulator?
I didn't unscrew the 12mm bolt more than 2 turns. Learnt that one a while back when the bearing tried to escape. Don't suppose the bearing can stick? Might take it out and have a look. Ta.
CitroJim, I'll try raising her and listening to the pump for machine gun fire (not something I say every day!) and regulator again. I just find it odd that the tick was so loud before. I thought I read here that the longest tick rate is a couple of mins? Ta.
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

My mistake, I thought you were refering to the 12mm bolt seal, just re-read your post and saw it's the end seal you replaced.
That'll teach me to read things when I'm tired!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool