Replacing a squeaking AC pump on a 1.9TD Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

masood_ilyas
My Cars:

Replacing a squeaking AC pump on a 1.9TD Xantia

Post by masood_ilyas »

The AC compressor on this beloved rather pampered car is squeaking especially when starting up.
Having read some previous threads on this subject it seems changing the noisy bearing is an uphill task for some one lacking a decent workshop and tools. To me it seems replacing it with a quieter ac pump is probably within my skills range, but I know next to nothing about refrigeration.
Two question arise:
1. The inlet and outlet ports, are they standard accross the Xantia compressors, i,e is Delphi directly replaceable with a Sanden.
I am aware this will require a slightly shorter or longer auxiallary belt, but are there any other pitfalls to be aware of.
2. How do I discharge the system without puncturing a whole in the earth's Ozone layer,
is there a way of shutting some valves as you would in a Central heating sytem when changing its pump or radiator.

The car is a Citroën Xantia, 1.9TD dated 1997, with an AL4 automatic gear box ( 2nd Gearbox) and 146K miles on the clock.
I am planing to get this done during replacement of its next timing belt before I take it to Granda Spain and hopefully make it back to London, which is some sign of confidence in the old girl.

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Thanks

Masood ILYAS
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Are you 100% certain it's the pump and not one of the tensioners? ie does it only squeek when the a/c is on?

The compressor types are not compatible, so if you're replacing a delphi you've got to fit an identical delphi.

You could talk nicely to your local a/c regassing garage, see if once they've vacuumed out the gas you can then do the compressor swap (or they'll do the swap for you for a reasonable price) then regas the system.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Theres TWO types of compressors used on the Xantia, one being better then the other.. and I cannot for the life of me remember which way around it is..

They are ALL R134a gas systems, but theres one which has the R12 type connections in which both pipes are connected seperatly to the compressor, then theres the other which the two pipes are connected with a plate across the two pipes and a sinble 8mm ALLEN head bolt...

Each connection as Xac says are different! Then with the Second type of connector theres two types of compressor bodies.. Ones is split in the middle and one half fits over the other, the other compressor has an all flush fitting body. The flush fitting body compressors are better, the split body compressors seem to let the gas go at the centre seal when they are disturbed... I have a feeling these ones came along in 1998 with the S2 cars.

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
masood_ilyas
My Cars:

Post by masood_ilyas »

Thanks Xac and CitroenXm.
This car is an S2 Xantia from 1999, the auxillary belt tensioner was replaced when its bolt snapped one day and partly shredded the belt, what caused its demise is a mystery. The tension adjuster has a quiet bearing so unlikely to be the source of this noise.
Xac I am assuming you are referring to the cam belt tensioner under the timing belt cover, I will take the auxillary belt off and listen again to rule out this tensioner.

Thank you

Masood
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I meant one of the two aux belt tensioners, the auto tensioner at the top and the eccentric one lower down, taking the aux belt off is a damn good idea.

I've had the auto tensioner bolt snap too, I had got it from EuroCarParts, and it must have managed to rattle it's way free (I hadn't repaced the spring on the other side behind the hydraulic pump which is a PITA to do but needs to be done if the lower eye has worn itself into a raindrop shape).
Replaced it with one from FCF and replaced the spring, and all is well.

If it is the compressor and it's squeeking even when the a/c is off then it's definitely time to sort it.
TehAgent didn't and ended up with a minor fire from the friction.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Hi All,

Delphi pump is the one with the plate and 2 pipes held on with the 8mm bolt.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.