Diesel tuning

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Diesel tuning

Post by MikeT »

Not wanting to detract from CJ's thread http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... sc&start=0 by going way off-topic I thought it better to start a new thread here in answer to some of the questions and discussions on diesel tuning etc.
C.J. wrote:I would dearly love to see that car being given some beans with 200 neddies under the bonnet! :lol:
Here you go, I found it...

Apparently, the dyno operator was very anti and even after being pursuaded to run the car, refused to listen to the owners advice and failed to hold the revs for best power :shock: Either that or his dyno had an rpm limit as diesel's don't rev, right? :lol:
C.J. wrote:There's several owners of highly modded Fabia vRS's pushing upwards of 230 bhp, but we're talking monster turbos's, intercoolers, water injection ststems, paddle plasma clutches, uprated gearboxes, etc etc.
All seems a bit pointlass to me tbh. Just go and buy a Evo 10 or something similar. Probably cheaper after all those mods too, oh, and don't come crying when you can't get the 30k for it that you're asking because of all of these tens of thousnads you've spent on it either. :roll:
But EVO's and Scooby's and Nissans and all those supercars etc - they're so old Skool 8-) Diesel IS the future. :P

Admittedly, he's spent a lot money trying various methods but this Fabia is not even a vRS...

I know these aren't IDI. It's just more examples of how diesel tuning is progressing...

Lupo 1.9 with over 400hp and 700torx (as JC would call them).

C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

Wowee Mike! Seeing is now believing
That's a 1.9 TD XUD lump running there too genuine? :shock:
Not a remap as that cannot be done on a TD, so what has he done please?

Shame we can't find out, i.e. turbo, intercooler, gearbox, brakes, suspension, drive shafts etc.
Colin

My cars:
1988 AX GT and still running sweet. Genuine 41 k only!!
2005 Skoda Fabia vRS 83k...and truly awesome.
Vauxhall Combo crew cab SE
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

Eriba Puck caravan now too!!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

What effect would increasing boost without adjusting the pump have?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

I was talking about some of the Skoda lads that have turned the wick up on their Fabia's.
Here's one that's just come up for sale. :shock:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/194836 ... p-440lbft/

Diesels are indeed the tuning route to take. Look at that tourque!! :shock:
Colin

My cars:
1988 AX GT and still running sweet. Genuine 41 k only!!
2005 Skoda Fabia vRS 83k...and truly awesome.
Vauxhall Combo crew cab SE
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

Eriba Puck caravan now too!!
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

C.J. wrote:Wowee Mike! Seeing is now believing
That's a 1.9 TD XUD lump running there too genuine? :shock:
Not a remap as that cannot be done on a TD, so what has he done please?

Shame we can't find out, i.e. turbo, intercooler, gearbox, brakes, suspension, drive shafts etc.
It is indeed an XUD9T, C.J. Like many DHY's, his threw a rod but instead of puggerising a Xantia for the improved DHX, I believe he decided to fit HDI conrods as they're thicker?

The TMIC has been replaced with an aftermarket FMIC, almost certainly has an HDI box and larger front brakes. No idea about springs or shafts.
There's also been a lot of fabrication of intake and exhaust and expect the head's been ported, 3-angle valve seats etc.

His M.O. is to tune until something breaks (usually the turbo) then rebuild with uprated parts. The beauty of tuning these IDI's is it's relatively cheap and so much fun if you love spannering. Having said that, his next build is a bit more costly...

As I understand it, that turbo in the video eventually failed (from 60psi overboost I think!) so he began designing a twin or compound turbo system but then changed his mind as is now going for something I've not heard of before! A supercharger feeding an even bigger turbo! :shock:

Xac wrote:What effect would increasing boost without adjusting the pump have?
Fuel makes boost so assuming you're only fuelled for stock boost (1bar I think), it would make no difference, Xac.

However, if you'd like to experiment, I would highly recommend a simple and cheap manual boost controller (aka Dawes device) to save crawling under the car for adjustments and a boost gauge if you've not already got one. Not only does it allow you to make adjustments remotely, say top of engine bay, in cabin or wherever you like, it also has the benefit of reducing (if not eliminating) wastegate creep.

The result being that I see 1bar at just 1500rpm and full boost at 2500rpm.

C.J. wrote:Diesels are indeed the tuning route to take. Look at that tourque!! :shock:
The realisation that diesels don't suffer detonation like petrols do, don't care about air/fuel ratios being spot on, are built to withstand higher compression ratios (thus producing buckets of torque) has left me with no doubt they're the future performance engine.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Ok so the Dawse replaces the metal pipe on the KKK turbo (rubber on Garet) right?

It restricts the flow of air to the wastegate fooling it into thinking boost is actually lower than it really is?

So I could run pipes up to the top of the engine bay, with the Dawes device inline making it easy to adjust.

See, I'm thinking, Cassy's due an MoT next month, and she needs a new straight through pipe. Currently she's running on her old tatty back box and the straight through pipe from the LX I broke for parts. I think it's one that was made up as it doesn't fit particularly well, and is a slightly narrower diameter than the old catted pipe I removed.
It's developed a hole just before the join with the back box so definitely needs replacing.
So while I'm under the car with the pipe off and easier access to the turbo I thought I might tweak it a bit.

Oooo maybe I'll just get one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Universal-Turbo-S ... 0598167494

:rofl:

DIY sphere tool
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Xac wrote:Ok so the Dawse replaces the metal pipe on the KKK turbo (rubber on Garet) right?

It restricts the flow of air to the wastegate fooling it into thinking boost is actually lower than it really is?

So I could run pipes up to the top of the engine bay, with the Dawse device inline making it easy to adjust.
Yep, pretty muchy, Xac. Though the wastegate should be set much lower than the MBC, otherwise it defeats the object. In theory, if you had the MBC in the cabin, you could set the W/G to a fuel-efficient 6psi so when you're on a long fast run (motorway for instance), turn the MBC right down for best MPG?

Xac wrote:Oooo maybe I'll just get one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Universal-Turbo-S ... 67494:rofl:
I know you're joking but every little helps, eh?
Shame it'll be a restriction once the turbo overflows the 0.1psi this fan might produce before it self-destructs.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Boost gauge arrived this morning, max boost is 17/18 PSI
So I'll play with the fun screw tomorrow and see how it affects things :)

DIY sphere tool
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Xac wrote:Boost gauge arrived this morning, max boost is 17/18 PSI
So I'll play with the fun screw tomorrow and see how it affects things :)
I take it you've already tweaked the fuelling or the gauge isn't accurate, Xac? I bought a cheap ebay gauge that reported much higher pressure than the one I'm currently using. IIRC, a discrepancy of about 7psi.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Nah it was me not reading it right.
Should have been 14/15psi.
Turned the waste gate adjuster once clockwise and it brought the boost up to 16psi so will try a few more turns when I get the chance.
Will have to get the gauge a pod too.

DIY sphere tool
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Any progress to report Xac?

As for the 306 project I mentioned earlier, there's been some good news - after a few setbacks, it's reported to be looking good but hasn't been used in anger yet, he's waiting for a track day. And I was wrong to state he had the S/C feeding the turbo, it's actually the other way round. Turbo then S/C.

In the meantime, do you think I could shoehorn this little baby engine into my Xantia?

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default ... ryId=23438

Note to all, the term "no smoke, no poke" is a myth. Just take a look at this video and lookup efforts from Peugeot and Audi in the Lemans.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

nah i think it should go in/on a dersh (2cv) :twisted:

regards malcolm
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

With the MoT work taking so long and both mine and Danielle's birthdays I've not had time to tweak the wastegate any further.
Smoke test was 0.53 with the pass limit of 1.50 which is good.
Fitted the boost gauge in a pod on the dash and wired it up to show Jim.
Running on v-power at the moment as I've not had time to get to costco, boost is peaking at about 17 psi.
I've got Chris' alloys to fit once I've had the tyres replaced on 2, so when I swap them over I'll give the wastegate two more turns.

DIY sphere tool
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Why am i now thinking of the blues brothers.....
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a packet of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses. 8-) 8-)

DIY sphere tool