Changing LHM fluid - Xantia II

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Changing LHM fluid - Xantia II

Post by rmunns »

I have eventually got round to changing the LHM in my year 2000 Xantia Hdi90. Mileage 62000, service records show main dealers did this job at 28000 miles five years ago. Not a total job; I just drained and removed the tank, cleaned the filters and the tank and filled with 'Hydroflush' (TOTAL Hydraurincage). I didn't flush through the brake lines but I did wiggle the steering so as to get some of that fluid back into the tank.

The old fluid was a honey colour. I was surprised that the flush fluid (brand new, unopened) was also that colour - I expected it to be LHM green.

Anyway, I syphoned out old fluid (about 3.5litres) then somehow got the tank out, leaving the filters hanging on the pipes. I didn't take off the pipes. It was awkward and did involve a fair amount of swearing. Filters looked clean - very small amount of tiny tiny blck particles. Nevertheless, I did remove the filters and clean in petrol. Sorry I didn't think to take pics. Cleaned out tank as best as I could, another half-litre or so of old fluid came out.

Put tank back in (more swearing) then put in flushing oil and did two or three Citrobic cycles.

Still feels the same on-the-road, but I'm replacing spheres this week and having a good look at the other bits that might need some maintenance.
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

Just to follow up; with the old fluid being same colour as new flushing, I'm thinking whether the main dealer actually put in flush fluid at 28000 miles. If so the (elderly) first owner never took it back to be refilled with LHM proper - he had the car for a further 8000 miles, p/exing in April 2009. If the stuff I drained out yesterday is flush then it's been in for 34000 miles.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The green dye in LHM breaks down with high temperatures - BX and Xantia were good at fairly heating their fluids. It goes yellow, then eventually brownish.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I always found hydroflush to be clear, slightly golden maybe
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Using the 5 litres of Hydroflush to do my TD, I still had a little left even after bleeding the brakes. I'd suggest that if you have a bit left, I'd encourage you to use it to bleed the Hydroflush through the brake lines/calipers, to remove at least some of any debris lying therein. Means there'll be less cr*p in the system when you finally refill with lovely bright green LHM. No point in keeping 1/2 litre for the next flushing!

I was surprised on bleed ing rear to get a few bubbles out of the rear brakes (offside , IIRC)
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
evilclive

Post by evilclive »

I got bubbles from the OSR brake too when I did mine.

I was very pleased the nipples were all easy to undo - that was the bit of the job which scared me the most.

Now nice and green rather than horrible brown.