Is low mileage actually THAT good?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

C.J.
My Cars:

Is low mileage actually THAT good?

Post by C.J. »

Seen, what on the face of it, is a very tasty and tidy looking Xantia Estate TD for sale down in Exeter.
1998 on 'T' I think it is, with a mere 60 odd k on the clock for £1395
Spec sounds odd though. Dealer description so he probably hasn't got a clue. :roll:
Leather but no mention of air con for instance, but it looks like an LX or possibly SX from the one poor picture

Now initially my eyes lit up in great anticipation, BUT I then started thinking in human terms as a comparison.

This vehicle has obviously hardly been used over the last 13 years, so like a human that doesn't do any excercise, does this indicate that in mechanical terms that it could be a bit weary, flabby faulty and tired, with blocked up 'arteries? :dozy:
Colin

My cars:
1988 AX GT and still running sweet. Genuine 41 k only!!
2005 Skoda Fabia vRS 83k...and truly awesome.
Vauxhall Combo crew cab SE
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

Eriba Puck caravan now too!!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I can hear it ticking from here.

Tick... heater matrix... tick... spheres... tick... firewall hoses... tick... doseur boot... tick...

If you're prudent and tackle age (not mileage) related issues first up, none of these type things ought to tick you off.
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

addo wrote:I can hear it ticking from here.

Tick... heater matrix... tick... spheres... tick... firewall hoses... tick... doseur boot... tick...

If you're prudent and tackle age (not mileage) related issues first up, none of these type things ought to tick you off.
LOL! :lol:

First thing everyone should do upon purchase of a Xantia, is lob a bottle of that fantastic K Seal down its throat! :wink:
Colin

My cars:
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

Was that a typo, or something I'm blissfully and obviously ignorantly unaware of? :oops:
Colin

My cars:
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Dosuer valve is the valve the brake pedal operates.
Sometimes it leaks, if you're lucky it's on the return pipe in the engine bay, if you're unlucky it's the seal in the foot well and the under carpet foam turns into a stinking black sludge.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

Xac wrote:Dosuer valve is the valve the brake pedal operates.
Sometimes it leaks, if you're lucky it's on the return pipe in the engine bay, if you're unlucky it's the seal in the foot well and the under carpet foam turns into a stinking black sludge.
Oh. I thought he was referring to a dodgy tailgate. :oops:
Colin

My cars:
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

Anyway, this is a good point and the one that I'm driving at.

What's the point in having a 'much praised big fuss, all singing and dancing bears' advert, exclaiming, WOW, LOOK, ONLY 69,000 from new by one careful owner, that's possibly never had it above 45 mph, when you might in fact be better off in the long run purchasing a much used 199,000 example that's been virtually completely overhauled?

A fine example of this was brought home to me 25 years ago, when Mrs C.J. was given her recently deseased grandmothers old Austin 1300 that she'd owned from new.
Full main dealer service (alledgedly) history, and a mere 15k after 14 years.
The engine blew up and siezed after a mere 4 weeks of ownership, doh. :evil:

IIRC it was MY fault, 'cus I 'stretched it' beyond it's time warping previous fastest ever speed of 35 mph. :lol:
Colin

My cars:
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

My VSX has only done 34k miles and just a few months ago I bought my HDi with 48k miles on it and comparing them with other Xantia's that have done 100k+ miles, for me there is no comparison. Both of these car's are still very tight with steering and suspension far nicer then say my previous HDi which had done 149K when I sold it. That car had had new front wishbones but one thing that most Citroen owners seem to forget about is wear to the suspension struts which in time affects damping, for example @ 130K+ miles with my previous HDi the suspension was too under-damped to allow the use of non-Hydractive sphere's whereas on my present two Xantia's the ride is lovely and soft but still controlled.

Both of my present cars are still on the original heater matrix, yes the LHM and sphere's needed replacing on the HDi but I can't see how low mileage had any effect upon those item's as they are dependant upon the previous owners desire to keep maintenance up to date. Another benefit of low mileage cars is that the seats will still feel fresh and soft :D
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I do usually always prefer a lower milage car, but if a higher ileage car has been maintained well then they make good buys.

However, low mileage cars which have been used once a week for a long drive and low mileage cars whcih have been daily transport around a town doing very few miles are totally different things.

A car which sits and is then used for a longer drive will be in better condition than one whcih has been used daily for short trips. Short trips do the car no favours, rarely reaching full running temperature, a lot of clutch use and suspension wear from city roads. The interior will have a good ammount of wear from people getting in and out, loading things every day etc. The exterior probably shows a good few crazes and scratches from parking incedents and always being in a supermarket car park etc.

We bought our late 1995 2.1TD Xm estate in September 2009 with 58K miles. It was a Citroen demo car in the first few months, then ownered by the same owner for a good few years and the person we bought it off had it for one year - covering 10K miles in that time. Obviously with its age it has been through spheres, etc. A cambelt was needed straight away after we got it as that was original, a service followed and general checking of the car revealed it to be in excellent order. The interior shows no sign of wear and tear and it drives superbly, feeling tight and with no knocking noises ect, just as you would expect a very good Xm to be.

I got my 56 reg C5 HDi in Jan this year with 12K miles on the clock, I couldnt quite believe my luck coming across such a low mileage diesel C5. I did have a worry than maybe it had been used around town every day, this could effect such things as the FAP system if that never has had a chance to work, etc. But on first sight it was obvious it had been a cherished car by its one owner, there are no bumper marks, no door dings no marks on the wheels. The interior is as new. It even has its original Michelin tyres whcih are in excellent condition, no aging or cracking on them, which leads me to believe its been a garaged car. As i know these particular Pilots dont age too well, many C6 owners report to having to change their tyres early due to age cracks, as the cars have stood around in a field before they were regsitered. Little things like that. My C5 is pretty much as new condition, i know the brakes will be good for years and years, the cambelt will be good for a good number of years as its 10 years or 150K. Its now done 15500 miles and its been perfect, not one ounce of a proble, i love it and could never find a better one.

So if you come up against a good car whcih has been well looked after and not used daily, then id certainly go for a lower mileage car. But if it has been used for small journeys almost daily then wear will be quite high anyway, so you might be better off with a higher mileage car.

In 2009 we got a 1994 S2 Xm 2.0 16v which had done 30K miles, quite unreal as to its condition. It had been dry stored for a number of years, prior to which it was in limited use as its owner had a few cars to choose from. The underside was as new, no a hint or rust anyway, pipes were all fantastic and the interior even smelled quite new!

I do like low mileage cars very much, but as ever it depends how they have been looked after. You will find higher mileage cars with appear to be in excellent condition and lower mileage ones whcih are about knackered. Just depends on the car and how its been used and cared for.

Our 52 C5 has done 130K almost, and it looks and drives as if its done less than half that. No faults that I can report on it, it just goes on and on. I know its original owner who really looked after the car and it shows.

Ive just done about 30 miles in a S1 Xm with 94K miles, it feels like its about to give up on life. Just about to go and see if i can do anything to help its issues! :lol:
Last edited by Citroenmad on 13 Mar 2011, 14:01, edited 4 times in total.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

I think you've hit the nail firmly on the head there Chris.
Excellent and logical thoughts on the matter.

Trouble is, it can be quite difficult to asess just how an older but low mileage car has actually been driven.

The deceased granny in laws' 1300 I was referring to earlier was absolutely mint inside, and sadly that was how it went to the scrap yard.
Colin

My cars:
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Your right, it can be a bit difficult to determine how a car has been used and how often, there are tell tale signs though. Having any kind of history on the car is good, especially if you buy it private. Is it the owners every day car, do they have another car they use more often.

Then condition wise, is there a build up mayo under the oil cap from short running, many scuffs and scratches which might indicate very day use, etc.

By comparrison we had a late T plate Xm which had done around 60K miles and had one owner. Obviously a very poorly looked after car when we got to know it, it was soon sold on. I still know where it is and its going well, but it didnt have a good feel about it and there were issues. It had been an everyday car and only covering short mileages. I went to see its original and only owner, who didnt want to give much away about the car at all, which i thought was very odd. It had obviously been in a minor accident at some point and repaired badly too, though when i asked them they refused that it had been.

You obviously know about low mileage cars with your 41K AX!

Edit: my typing is all over the place today, im on a different computer, dont like this keyboard!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

Citroenmad wrote:Your right, it can be a bit difficult to determine how a car has been used and how often, there are tell tale signs though. Having any kind of history on the car is good, especially if you buy it private. Is it the owners every day car, do they have another car they use more often.

Then condition wise, is there a build up mayo under the oil cap from short running, many scuffs and scratches which might indicate very day use, etc.

By comparrison we had a late T plate Xm which had done around 60K miles and had one owner. Obviously a very poorly looked after car when we got to know it, it was soon sold on. I still know where it is and its going well, but it didnt have a good feel about it and there were issues. It had been an everyday car and only covering short mileages. I went to see its original and only owner, who didnt want to give much away about the car at all, which i thought was very odd. It had obviously been in a minor accident at some point and repaired badly too, though when i asked them they refused that it had been.

You obviously know about low mileage cars with your 41K AX!
Edit: my typing is all over the place today, im on a different computer, dont like this keyboard!
Indeedeedo. :wink:
Good thing about this though, is that I know it's been absolutely thrashed to within an inch of it's life, but only for short periods of time doing sprints and hillclimbs.....oh, and with the odd slightly longer thrashing doing track days at Donnington, Oulton and Ty Croes (old circuit)
Hopefully this will be resumed in the not too far and distant future.

Still drove like dream the last time I used it though. :D

If it's back on the road soon, I might just drive it up to Harrogate to the show in the summer.
Mighty rare car now. Just a shame I messed about with it really, (scrutineers whinging caused that, ref. sunroof 'danger' :roll: ) and had a cheap and nasty re-spray on it too. :evil:
Colin

My cars:
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

My dad had a 2001 suzuki wagon r auto, bought new and serviced every year at main dealer and only did about 1500 miles a year. I know it is a crap car but I used to give it a right thrash every few months. After he had to give up driving my brother in law ran it for commiting 50miles a day and the repairs it needed was unbelievable. Dads use of it was starting it, driving round corner to shop then home again. A long run was 3 miles to his sisters once a week. It was filthy,smelly, worn seats, scratched all over and needed new discs and pads every 2 yrs (3000) miles! My BIL sold it to someone for a good price just because it was low mileage, the guy saw the mileage and service book and thought it was a good car. I would no t have given it the time of day.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I bought an Accord (don't laugh!) in something of a hurry.
It was 11 years old with 53,000 on the clock.
Absolutely immaculate inside and out. Doors and windows were stiff as they were never used, rear seats had never been sat in and front passenger seat rarely used.
Boot was spotless, spare tyre and tools/jack still wrapped in polythene and unused.
Drove like a new car, it had only ever done long runs (Scotland, Wales, the south coast) throughout it's life and been serviced religiously every six months even if it hadn't moved.
Family had two more cars and a company car for daily use and there was only one driver for them all, except on rare occasions.
So it was a perfect example of a low mileage car and gave me no trouble. Until it was rear-ended and scrapped. :(

I was quite pleased with it, did lots of miles in it, average 2,500 miles a month and would have bought another - in fact was about to buy a newer, TOTR estate but was kept waiting a bit too long by the vendor as he worked in Portsmouth, although he lived only a few miles away. Bought the C5 and the day after he phoned to ask when he should bring it round :( :(

I will admit that they have a reputation for blandness and being terminally boring but I found it to be quick, quiet, a pleasant drive and very reliable. I liked the look of it too (Rover 600 shape)
If only it had had hydraulic suspension :)
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

Low mileage all the way - here's an example with my Visa (41,000 miles) - Link.
Franklin