Any Diesle owners running on Veg?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jameswithapug
My Cars:

Any Diesle owners running on Veg?

Post by Jameswithapug »

Been thinking about the pro's and cons of running a bit of Vegtable oil in with my diesle. I know you still need to pay duty on it if it goes in the tank so does it work out much cheaper than diesle or is it not worth the hastle. Im thinking of running half and hallf as not sure what it will run like with 100% veg. 2.1td with 160k on it btw.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

A search will reveal all the answers and more but to save you some time - Bosch fuel pumps work well with veg oil, Lucas pumps don't and are likely to break.

As a private user, there's an allowance of 2,500L per annum duty free. You should keep records in case, but otherwise no need to register and/or submit accounts because it cost the gumment too much to administer.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would be interested in your findings James,

also pm sent,

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The Lucas EPIC on the 2.1TD must UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES be run on veg in any ratio whatsoever.

I'm not even sure they're entirely happy on bio-diesel.

Play safe, run them ONLY on proper DERV.

Lucas pumps work on a fundamentally different principle to Bosch pumps and the distributor can seize if it is inadequately lubricated. Veg does not provide adequate lubrication as it is too viscous to flow around the tiny clearances in the distributor. The fibre vanes in the lift pump can also disintegrate when faced with thick, cold veg.

The Bosch does not relay on tiny clearances in it's distributor and hence can run veg happily. It also have sturdy metal vanes in its lift pump.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jameswithapug
My Cars:

Post by Jameswithapug »

Ok as mine got the lucas pump i guess il have to forget that idea then. :(
panason1c

Post by panason1c »

I wouldnt risk running any common rail diesel engine (HDI/CDI) on anything other than 'conventional' diesel fuel.
poddack

Post by poddack »

after running my old Astra TDS on 80% veg oil with no difference in performance (apart from the smell), makes sure you have a Bosch pump and it's an old indirect diesel. Avoid putting any veg oil at all into a Lucas system. I naively bought a 2.1 TD 406 with that idea but have never been able to do it.