C5 Headlights will flicker

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SJE32

C5 Headlights will flicker

Post by SJE32 »

Hello to All.

After a drive back this morning in the dark I noticed that both headlights started to flicker, this is not the normal one where the suspension pump kicks in, its like just before a bulb going to blow, they flicker indiscriminately with each other.

the battery is quite new and I have checked all fuses and terminal for good earth seating.

Has any one had this and found out why?

Oh and while I am about it, does the dashboard have day lights, as they only
come on when the headlights are turned on ?

SJE32
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Not sure why your headlamps would be flickering, as you mentioned they can flicker when the pump cuts in and out, but if you dont think its that then im not sure.

As for dash lights, they do come on with the headlights, not on all of the time.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
SJE32

Post by SJE32 »

Citroenmad wrote:Not sure why your headlamps would be flickering, as you mentioned they can flicker when the pump cuts in and out, but if you dont think its that then im not sure.

As for dash lights, they do come on with the headlights, not on all of the time.
Its 100% not the pump, that effect I know very well. I have had the battery checked and alternator this morning both check our fine. It still does it so i am still hunting.
SJE32

It is Fixed.

Post by SJE32 »

Its fixed.

It was the Valeo alternator 80amp, after changing the battery and the problem persisted, I got hold of a 2nd hand Valeo alternator from my local scrap yard £42 inc Vat, went back a happy teddy to put it on the car only to find out the back plates are different :( I thought I would have to return to the scrap yard, the back plate of the one I got was made 06 and had connectors that were different than mine, the main cable was the same but the signal cable was now a twin pin push plug.

After removing the cover I found the only visible difference inside was that the sensor connector in the new cap was covered

The one that had was an open connector to a single pole sensor,

so to solve all I did was change the end plates over and bingo, no more flickering lights, no more rouge messages about charging fault and abs or punctures.

So again all is well with my C5

till next time

Bye All