Fluid levels - help please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nikolaymk

Fluid levels - help please

Post by Nikolaymk »

Hi,
I just checked my LHM level and the orange cone is a bit below the bottom of the two red lines. Shouls I top up ASAP? What can go wrong as a result of that?
Also the engine oil level is just above (1mm) the MAX mark on the dip stick. According to my manual this should never happen.Is it that bad? The very idea of visiting the local garage just for this seems absurd.
Thank you
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

i would top it up, so that the oraneg disc is sitting between the two rings, remember to do this with the car in high & engine running.
dom
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Don't lose sleep over it. These settings aren't all that critical. If it was 1 inch over the mark on the dipstick, then you could worry but 1mm is nothing; if it leaks out of the mains at that height, they're stuffed anyway.
As far as the LHM level goes, again shouldn't be too big a worry although if the level was originally higher, I'd be looking for the leak as they don't "use" fluid so if it's down it's leaking unless that is the level it was taken to when originally filled & if so & it's behaving OK, don't worry. Lights & warning buzzers are the order of the day if it gets too low. Again it's exact level is not all that critical.
You sound as though you may be a new Cit owner & as such you may have had the frighteners put up you as regards how sensative these cars are; they're not!! Possibly as tough a car as you'd find on the market. My CX is used in lieu of a farm truck yet tommorrow, it'll be in a car display after travelling about 400 klms to get there, so that should say it all.
For a bit of a look at what the levels are about (and a giggle to go with it) check out this recent topic.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=3454
All the best,
Alan S
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Nikolaymk</i>

Hi,
I just checked my LHM level and the orange cone is a bit below the bottom of the two red lines. Shouls I top up ASAP? What can go wrong as a result of that?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It depends where it was filled to originally. The level does drop slightly due to brake wear.
Larger drops are usually a sign of a ruptured sphere or a leak.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Homer,
The level drops more than slightly. But the main reason are spheres, gradually loosing gas. A short calculation shows me that the difference between new and worn brake pads makes only about 1 mm difference on the indicator. But the difference between new spheres and spheres that are on the half of the pressure makes about 9 mm difference on the indicator (on BX). I noticed this last time I get front spheres regassed - LHM level climbed well over max.