mi16 gearbox on diesel xud

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jackel

mi16 gearbox on diesel xud

Post by jackel »

mi16 gearbox on diesel xud peugeot partner 97
hi has anybody done this or no what it would be like or even will it fit. reason im asking is that my gearbox has lost some gears and my plan was to fit a td lump in but the person who was selling the engine has had a better offer so back to squre one. im struggling to find a gearbox for it bu came across a mi16 (BE3) box . is the ratio different to mine as i no mine is a BE3 as well
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I think it will physically fit, as they are both XU's at the end of the day. The input shaft should be OK.

The problem here is it will probably only do about 75 flat out at 4.5k to 5k rpm so will drink fuel like there's no tomorrow. It will be very quick up to 60 odd though to say the least, it may (probably) eat your driveshafts too given the torque and the low final drive / gearing in general compared to a diesel gearbox. Torque may be the problem, not outright power as the Mi has a lot more power than the XUD, torque I am not sure about, but the derv delivers it low down, not at 6K ;)

You`ll probably be able to set off in 2nd without any issue though.

You cannot really (sensibly) put a diesel box on a petrol engine or vice versa. :)

Having said that I would like to know the results if you do it. But I would expect fuel consumption / economy (lol) to take a real nose dive, expect 30 maybe 35 mpg ish max.

Edited to fix typo.
Last edited by spider on 03 Mar 2011, 20:16, edited 2 times in total.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Andy, I'm very much in agreement!

Getting hold of a diesel gearbox should not pose too much of a challenge as they were very common; there are a multitude of possible donors out there...

A TD 'box on an NA will be a bit sluggish though so best to look for an NA diesel 'box...

Are you sure the gearbox you have has internal faults Jakal. What's the symptoms?

It might just be linkage problems.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jackel

Post by jackel »

ok thanks for the info, basicaly i carn't get any other gear than 3rd and 5th. checked linkages and there is nothing wrong there everything is connected properly and no play in the arms. yeh there are a few on ebay but they are wanting silly money for them. anyway i think i will have to wait untill one pops up. thanks for the reply's
spider

Post by spider »

Should not be too hard to find one though, some of the linkage types are different (Xantia / 406 etc I'm not sure how changeable they are without any internal work, Jim ?)

There's a good selection or should be as you have 205* / 309* / ZX / BX* / 306 / 405 / Partner / Berlingo etc

* Only get a post 89 box from one of these, ideally 1990 or newer, avoid earlier box's. Reverse bottom right, not top left.
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No worries with linkages on any of the boxes as they're all the same. A cranked rod exiting the gearbox ending in a ball and a lever ending in a ball.

You may have to change the lever, held onto it's shaft with a cotter/taper pin, or the reaction plate which is simply bolted on.

Andy, good point about not going for a pre-1990 'box. They're designated BE1/5 and have a cable-operated reverse interlock. The gear lever mechanism is consequently different and not really interchangeable. The later BE3/5 also has some internal improvements.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jackel

Post by jackel »

ok brill. well i keep changing my mind on what to do. i have now been offered a peugeot 206 td 97 engine and box. is this the same as the 306 td lump and will it all plumb in ok to my pug partner
jackel

Post by jackel »

i must say thanks you very much to spider and citro jim as you have been most helpful out of any other forum ive ever joined. many thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks jackel :D Always good to hear of satisfaction!!!

The Pug 206 'box should be fine provided the engine is the 1.9 DW8. If the engine is the later HDi then the ratios will be a bit long for for your existing engine...

Swapping engines complete is not straightforward due to immobiliser constraints amongst other things.
Jim

spider

Post by spider »

You're welcome. :)

If it is a TD and from a 206 then it will be from the HDi, mostly likely the DW10 (2.0HDi 90) , as you said TD it cannot be a DW8 as they never made a turbo unit with this engine and the XUD was never fitted to the 206.

There's a slight chance its from the 1.4HDi but I'm not 100% sure if these are the same box or not, not having had one to hand so to speak to look at it, as I do seem to recall the 1.4HDi might (I say might, Jim?) be based on the TU engine block...
Andy.

jackel

Post by jackel »

hi everone again lol. could you clarufy that this gearbox will fit and has the same clutch assembly as my partner 1.9d xud.

many thanks again

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123
spider

Post by spider »

I think so but cannot see the release arm assembly.

There's only a pull or push clutch.

Only the TD's (usually) had the push one, the rest had the conventional cable pull.

How to tell: the normal one just has the cable in the release arm as normal, the push one has it about midway (the end of the cable) and another bracket either side of the cable, a bit like an H on its side.
Andy.

jackel

Post by jackel »

ok cheers. well ill ask him for some pics of the arm before i travel down spalding. i have just noticed you are from derby, im from chesterfield so not to far away
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

if its any help i know of a gearbox off a zx 1.9td in barnsley that won't be too expensive? complete engine assembly actually but i think the HG has blown
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
jackel

Post by jackel »

Hi i managed to get more pics. to be honest it looks identical to my gearbox. thought i would chuck them up here just in case im missing somthing lol. thanks

Image[/img]