'ELP the woes of an AX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vanny
My Cars:

'ELP the woes of an AX

Post by vanny »

Aim; to change a drum cylinder on the rear of an AX
Story so far; Pipe wouldnt unscrew from back of old cylinder, just rounded (think Citroen decided to use plasticene for this bit). Solution was to unscrew the other end of pipe, buy new one and dispose of remainder. Citroen didnt have one, and after the last thing i 'ordered' from Cit i went to Peugeot. After 20minutes i convinced the guy that the pipe for the 106 would fit, and it was bought for little over a £5. It fitted, new cylinder in, brake shoes back together, disc and bearing back on, screw the hub nut, NOPE!! Try running it on half a turn and back, <i>middle</i> of the thread on the nut is GOOSED! So off to Citroen (in the next county) to get a new hub nut. But still wont go on. Bit its trying to screw onto looks like;
/\/\/\/\/\___p
|
\/\/\/\/\/---b
with the p and b being a sticky out ridge. Filling these off, it fits a little, but the new nut wont fit. Cut a long story short the thread on the hub spline is now goosed as well.
I dont have a tap and die big enough, nore a dremel to sort the thread out (you laugh but ive done it before). What are my options here??
It looks like the spline (is it a 'stub axle') will uncrew from the back (BIG torx head). Is this the best option?? Can i get away with one off a scrap car. Why do i get the feeling that this is gonna be one of those 'replace the rear subframe instead of a screw'jobs?? <font color="red">AND why do Citroen make parts out of such soft materials??</font id="red">
In need of help before im executed for killing the parents car [:(]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If its owt like the stub axle on a 205, this also has a socket in it though I think its a hex (alan key) it didn't screw out at all and nor would it as it had no threads on it just splines, just whaled it one with a hammer and it came out easey, suggest you try that.
As for the thread, buy a metric thread restoring file and that should get it sorted for you, make sure it has the pitch you require before buying it though.
Dave
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

i think the stub axles(even although they have an internal hex on them) are just a press fit,you just hammer out & in,a good machine shop will re thread & supply a new nut for it.it happened to me on a ZX once & citroen didnt sell the stub seperately,it came as part of a full rear arm.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Looking at the BX Haynes then that would suggest that the torq hole in the back is just to hold it when bolting up the hubnut??
Cant find a 'thread restoring file' on APTC or machine and mart. Why me?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

On the HD tools site click on J & S / Bodyshop tools.
http://www.hdtools.co.uk/stores/system/index.html
Also from http://www.toolbankexpress.com
This one made by Presto of sheffield, much better make but much more money.
Dave
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Vanny
Halfords used to sell one - sykes pickavant I think. They may not sell it now as I purchased a small kit heavily reduced from a bargain bin a few years ago - on the basis of well its cheap and may get me out of a hole on a sunday afternoon. - Dont think I've used it yet.
There might be a reference to it on their website.
Jeremy
Jon

Post by Jon »

Vanny
We sell the AX stub axle.Afraid to say thats its £32.00 for a new one, complete with hub nut!!
[8D]
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Hmmm, i looked at the price (hence the 'Can i get away with one off a scrap car') thought i better not upset the rents. But another hub nut later (benefit is being squarly between 2 Cit dealers so you dont look so stupid going back for the same part again and again cos u keep ****ing it up), and a good couple of hours with the ole modelling files and im getting there. Eventually got bored late last night and made the little car bleed (oil change).
Anybody else got the LHM bug?? Look under the hood of a car and try to find where the LHM tank is?? I swear one day ill end up with a car to work on and put LHM in the DOT4 brakes [:(]
PS thanks for the tool links, i didnt even know my local Bernards did tools, only ever got stuff on trade over the phone and always screws bolts etc. It turns out the stock Kamasa tools, which seem to be getting harder and harder to come by!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Vanny, the AX murderer does have a certain ring to it, mind you...