VEG OIL- DIESEL MIX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wornelly
My Cars:

VEG OIL- DIESEL MIX

Post by wornelly »

Due to the rise in fuel costs and the fact I do about 15,000 miles per year, am thinking of going bk to my veg-diesel mix, or full bio, I used to run this in my disco which worked perfectly, but am unsure about the xantia having any probs with this, am a bit of a planet saving nut which is why I drive diesel cars only, I have my bike for fun and sometimes wish that were diesel, so I could do the same lol, any advice would be appreciated. :P
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

If it's a Xantia TD (with Bosch injection pump) then it'll run quite happily on Veggie oil - up to 100% in the summer 50:50ish in the winter.
If it's an HDi on the other hand, you'll need to find a source of proper biodiesel, as far as I'm aware using vegetable oil in common rail injection diesels is a rather bad idea.

-Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

Breach of rules removed
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

You get quite a slap on the wrist if you get caught running on red diesel though. :wink:
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
wornelly
My Cars:

Red diesel,

Post by wornelly »

Err no, lol, would like to keep my car lol, so red is outta the question, ino some gypos that sell stolen normal diesel, but the price is too high, they worse than the taxman, and ino veg oil better for the enviroment, and 100% veggie sounds gd too me, but how do I no which diesel pump my car has
??
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

To put red diesel in would be a bit foolish to say the least.

If or when you get caught, the police job is only to report you to Inland Revenue Customs and Excise, this is where the fun starts, these guys have so much power it's unbelivable, they can look through all of your financial affairs and I would guess even bum search you if they felt the urge.

They can assume that after discovering red in your tank, that you have been using red since you got the car, they will work out how many miles you have done per year and can charge you for the revenue lost to them.

In reality, you would just get a fine and possibly have the car taken and crushed for coke cans but I would not take the gamble.

There is a lot of vans going around checking now especialy as the government need the tax cash, using red deisel is tax avoidence like it or not.

Regards
Martin
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

robert_e_smart wrote:Breach of rules removed
Oh really, I've been fooling around with all this vegetable oil for the last 34,000 miles without issue, when I could just be illegally filling up with red diesel, silly me! Thanks for the tip!
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You could get a diesel bike, there are some good ones about, have a look on 'you tube'. Personally I would not use veggie oil, you can buy a lot of fuel for the cost of overhauling a pump :(

Peter
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

A new set of seals for a pump aren't that much.

What happens with veg is it works into the cracks in the seals (by now they're old and hard) and when it cools it gels and expands increasing the size of the cracks until they start to leak.
The concentration of veg you use depends on how quickly this will happen, as does the state of the seals in the first place.
Cassy took several years to start leaking, and that was on 100% veg most of the time.

So what do you do?
Well, pick up a second hand pump for around £20 and refurbish it at your leisure, when it's time, swap them over, sell your leaky pipe to someone else to refurbish, or refurbish it and sell it.

If you've got a Xantia 1.9TD, then you've got a bosch pump and can just pour new veg into the tank, or if you've got a reputable waste veg supplier in your area that dries and filters the veg properly then you can use that and save even more.
Local costco does 20L for £20 so it's gone up quite a bit recently (usually it's around 70ppl), but compared to derv at £1.35L it's still saving a hell of a lot.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Excellent - if you are up to doing the job yourself, very expensive otherwise. That should possibly be the determining factor.

Peter
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

Local costco does 20L for £20
Right, so its the same price I can buy WHITE diesel from the Rep Of Ireland after reclaiming the VAT. Good for my pocket and my fuel pump! :D
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
Gregg1100
My Cars:

VEG OIL- DIESEL MIX

Post by Gregg1100 »

My old dear of an Xantia- de-catted, is averaging 44+ mpg---why bother with chip oil. 1.9TD. How much more does one expect ? :D

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Peter.N. wrote:Excellent - if you are up to doing the job yourself, very expensive otherwise. That should possibly be the determining factor.

Peter
There are plenty of guides on here as to how to do it, and plenty of people I'm sure would be willing to help in return for a few beer tokens/biscuits.

As I said, Cassy took over 2 years running on 100% veg to even start leaking, and another 2 years before it got bad enough to need the seals replacing.

When you can pick up a 2nd hand pump for £20, you could just swap it over and run on that pump until it starts leaking, then do the same again, so no need to replace seals when they go.

DIY sphere tool
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

My understanding is that you can now get bio compatible seal kits, so this job should only need doing once. Since buying the 405 I've saved over £3,000 in fuel and the pump is still going. Any labour charges associated with eventual pump refurbishment are dwarfed by that saving. It's not unusual for older cars to need new pump seals anyway, regardless of what fuel they've been running on.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

evilally wrote:My understanding is that you can now get bio compatible seal kits, so this job should only need doing once. Since buying the 405 I've saved over £3,000 in fuel and the pump is still going. Any labour charges associated with eventual pump refurbishment are dwarfed by that saving. It's not unusual for older cars to need new pump seals anyway, regardless of what fuel they've been running on.
This is it, after 10 years most o-rings in the car are hard and compressed, look at the hydraulic pump's seals for instance, or the ones on the heater matrix pipes.

DIY sphere tool