R9UKE's French Car Blog...

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

You soon found a home for that Saxo Luke, Citroens do sell very well :lol: It does look to have found a very good home with stevenc75 too.

You wussed out at changing a headlamp bulb Luke!! :lol: I do know what you mean, one went pop in our ScenicII, the handbook said we should take it to the dealer. I inquired and they wanted an hours labour for the privilege as they said the front bumper has to be removed. I set to work with it and had it done in about 10 minutes, without removing the bumper.

Are you any further forward in the fitting of cruise control to your Megane?

Well, I guess the CLio is out of the way of the rain, that rust fizzing in water must be horrendous! :lol: At least it will save you sweeping it off the floor too! Find me a rusty Saxo .... :roll:

How will you get the poorly Vel Satis home Luke? It does sound cheap, but a bit of a gamble, still you seem to know the cars well so you might be able to get it on the road again for a good figure.

Id say go for the V6 Xm, lovely cars and its something you have not yet had too. 8-)

No details of this Volvo V40 Luke, im surprised :lol:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
robert_e_smart

Post by robert_e_smart »

Luke's Volvo Blog!
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
R9UKE

Post by R9UKE »

robert_e_smart wrote:Luke's Volvo Blog!
Precisely the reason I haven't put it on here - that's what this blog will be known as!

Pretty pleased with it. Was looking through the computer system as the auction was going on, after I missed out on the 188k Xantia, and came across a V40 with a beautifully low reserve and 5 months MOT. Without seeing it, I placed my bid and ended up with it.

It's been busy today, transporting all sorts of rubbish to the dump. Gave a good oppurtunity to put the load capacity to test - result: Pretty disappointing. Wasn't bowled over by how much it swallowed at all, I was actually expecting fewer runs. But anyway, it has a few handy touches in the boot. A seatbelt style strap built in to the inside of the boot lip to keep things in place, and a nice wipe clean Volvo boot mat. It's the SE model, with cruise control and heated seats, and all the electronic gadgets work apart from the central locking, which I will investigate tomorrow, hopefully just a fuse. The red has faded and the car could certainly do with a T Cut (a job for the next owner), but it has worn it's 93k miles extremely well. Chris, you commented on the one you had, and I can really see where you're coming from now.

I'll post a link to the Gumtree ad that I'm posting in the morning :D

Yes, Chris, I did chicken out! Last time I ended up with bleeding knuckles and a severe hatred for the car for a good two weeks after. It's better for our relationship that somebody else does it.

Cruise Control is still possible. Once I find a steering wheel with the buttons I will leave it to the experts!

Vel Satis is giving me a headache. I honestly cannot decide what to do. I keep having mental images of being in a cloud of smoke at the side of the A1 missing the boat back to Belfast. Maybe I should just sit tight for one to turn up at my auction... it's been a while, we're long overdue another - at one point we had three in one auction! The location is the only thing holding me back. Even if it were closer to a ferry port. Typical :cry:
French is best.
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Ah right, in that case, sorry for bringing it up :lol:

Though the seatbelt style strap in the boot of a V40 is a great idea, but it is a small car with a small luggage space. Mind I did fit in the boot quite well! :lol: Its going to be a quick turnaround then ...

Sometimes the most simple of jobs can be the ones which turn into a nightmare. The worse headlight bulb ive replaced was on my old Seat, it required an hour of my time and a good amount of shouting too. I swore the next time the bulb went id sell the car ... the bulb went on the test drive as I was selling it :lol:

Cruise control is a huge bonus, a feature ive really come to like now. A great addition when on a long motorway drive.

AH, so you were planning to drive the Vel back home. Sounds risky, what with it being sat doing nothing for so long and with a possible HGF and certain overheating issue :shock: Id look elsewhere or ... at that Xm V6 :lol:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
robert_e_smart

Post by robert_e_smart »

Buy the XM Luke, and stop messing about!

C5 facelift - front side lamp bulbs, hateful to change, and last no time as well.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

robert_e_smart wrote: C5 facelift - front side lamp bulbs, hateful to change, and last no time as well.
Ah, they are easy, take me two minutes! 5 minutes if its the battery side .... :lol:

Need to get quality bulbs to ensure they last, tying not to touch the glass part also helps.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
R9UKE

Post by R9UKE »

I'm afraid there's no point in posting a link to the advert - the Volvo has gone!

Got a good 5 phonecalls in the first hour of posting, and it was purchased by an old man who is holidaying to Wales with his dogs in the Volvo in 3 weeks time. Watch out for a V40 in dire need of a T Cut cruising through England.

I've decided not to take the Vel Satis... Why bother when an Avantime owner could be giving me a call soon to sell it to me :D
French is best.
robert_e_smart

Post by robert_e_smart »

Buy the XM V6 then.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

I think you have made the right decision with the Vel.

V40s sell well then! :)
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

R9UKE wrote: it was purchased by an old man who is holidaying to Wales with his dogs in the Volvo in 3 weeks time.
Now there's a stereotype :lol: :lol: Sounds like a natural Volvo owner. Made for each other...

Yes, buy a V6 XM :wink:

Mind you, an Avantime will be worth getting though...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
R9UKE

Post by R9UKE »

CitroJim wrote:Now there's a stereotype :lol: :lol: Sounds like a natural Volvo owner. Made for each other...
Exactly what I thought!

OK don't crucify me, but I really don't think I want to own an XM (yet). I reckon I'd get bored of it pretty quickly. The B reg BX on ebay on the other hand... that's a keeper! I won't be spending that kind of money on a BX though :D
French is best.
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Why do you think you woul dget bored of an Xm quickly? :?

Id rather an Xm than a Bx :lol:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
R9UKE

Post by R9UKE »

I don't know, I just don't feel the connection. I don't know why, they're lovely cars, but I just have no desire to own one. I don't think they have much character, and too much has to be paid for a good one.

I feel the same about the C6. In fact I've come to the conclusion that I don't like them!

Give me a Volvo S80 over an XM any day.
French is best.
robert_e_smart

Post by robert_e_smart »

The S80 is bland compared to the Xm!!
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
stevenc75

Post by stevenc75 »