LEFT INNER TRACK ROD END HELP!!!!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CITMAN
My Cars:

LEFT INNER TRACK ROD END HELP!!!!!!!

Post by CITMAN »

I have a Citroen Zx 1.4i with power steering about a month ago I had to have new inner track rod ends fitted. Shortly after a noticed a knocking noise in the steering column and a similar noise when driving over bumps in the road took the car back to the garage to be told there was no play in the steering.
On investigating myself I found that from within the engine compartment I can lift the left inner track rod ends up and down but trying to feel any play in the steering at the front wheels nothing. took the car back this time on second occassion to be told that this is normal for this up and down movement, however on questioning the mechanic and pointing out that other side has no movement he came out with a lame excuse.
Is the up and down movement on the left inner track rod end normal when pulling it up and down from within the engine compartment.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Play develops between the steering rack and the bushes it runs in, an excessive amount will produce a test failure, and if it is causing a knocking then it is definately excessive in my opinion.
Dave
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

The car has just passed its mot about a week ago should I take the car back to the garage concerned becuase the car should not really have passed the mot like that. by the way it was like that before the test
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Is the steering rack similar to the one in the BX? If it is, remove the lower cowl on the steering column, and the steering rack goes through a tube with rubber bushes holding it in place. On the BX the lower bush could work loose and slide out out the 'tube', it may be that the ZX may have a similar steering set up.
All you have to do is, align up the bush and force it back in with a broad bladed screwdriver, then give the lower end of the 'tube' a knock with a hammer and it will flatten it up and the bush will stay put.
Give it a try....
Regards
Paul.