Changing Hydraulic clutch cylinders on a 406 2.1

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jameswithapug
My Cars:

Changing Hydraulic clutch cylinders on a 406 2.1

Post by Jameswithapug »

I need to fit new clutch cylinders to my 97 406 2.1Tdi and was wondering how hard a job it is. Already got the Slave out so not worried about that but the master cylinder looks a pig to get to. Alrerady tried to fit a bleed nipple to my slave as described on this forum but the poipe wont reseal and is leaking fluid so going to bite the bullet and replace them.
Last edited by Jameswithapug on 06 Mar 2011, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
Jameswithapug
My Cars:

Post by Jameswithapug »

Also seen them on Ebay for £140 is this the best price or can they be found cheaper elsewhere. Thanks James.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

James, to be honest, I'd have another go at trying to reseal the pipe or put some sort of joint in it as changing the master cylinder will be an ocean-going fur-lined pig of a job :twisted:

Especially as the master cylinder is otherwise OK...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jameswithapug
My Cars:

Post by Jameswithapug »

Trouble is Jim as im heating the pipe its going brittle and is too tight to go all the way back over the fitting. If it was a normal copper pipe or at least had standerd fittings id be able to do something with it. I really would rather not have to change the lot but the plastic pipe just wont reseal. Might have a look if anyone makes fittings for it but not hopefull.
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Re: Changing Hydraulic clutch cylinders on a 406 2.1

Post by HDI Dave »

Jameswithapug wrote: Alrerady tried to fit a bleed nipple to my slave as described on this forum but the poipe wont reseal and is leaking fluid
So the nipple to the slave is ok, it's just the pipe onto the nipple that's leaking?

Cut the brittle part off and extend the plastic pipe,with a joint and jubilee clips etc?

Trying to invisage it..could you post a picture?

You might be able to sort it easier than you think. I'm with Jim..master cylinder = nightmare lol
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
Jameswithapug
My Cars:

Post by Jameswithapug »

Ok will give it another go then if its that bad of a job. Could probably make up a join piece. Need it sorted soon though as cant be without a car much longer. :evil:
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I could be wrong perhaps the 2.1 is different but I do remember one of the later petrol models having a hydraulic clutch and the pipework came as a big assembly (master / pipe / slave) , did not fit it myself though so not sure although does not look like much fun.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
marty1979
My Cars:

Post by marty1979 »

You're right about the 2.1 clutch hydraulics, it's all one piece and comes pre-filled and blead from the factory. Strangely though, my clutch pedal started getting really spongy a few weeks back, and on occassion I had to lift the pedal back up with my foot, thinking it wouldn't harm I filled the resovior with some fluid I had lying around and now my clutch is fine. Wierd huh!!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You can get a 10mm compression fitting for plastic pipe, its used for heating oil pipe, don't know whether that is anything like the right size but you could splice a section of copper pipe in with a couple of suitable fittings.

Peter
Jameswithapug
My Cars:

Post by Jameswithapug »

I got on the lathe today and made up an adaptor to go between the plastic pipe and a short lenth of rubber hose that now goes to the slave. Just leaking from the bleed nipple adaptor now :twisted: so taking that into work monday to get it tig welded into the fitting. It will get there eventually. :evil:
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

On a more general point if sourcing bits to make up or repair a Citroen Hydraulic clutch drive then bear in mind that they changed the hydrulic drive cylinder design 3 times between 1995 and 2000. They also used 3 different push rod lengths over the same period.

John
Xmexclusive
Jameswithapug
My Cars:

Post by Jameswithapug »

Who said it was hard job changing the cylinder. Finaly got fed up with trying to bleed it today so thought id bite the bullet and remove the whole lot. Found by removing the inlet manifold (only 4 bolts) access aint too bad. The whole job took about 15 minutes. Found out that the pipe that goes into the master cylinder from the reservoir is cracked so was sucking in air. Got super glue on it now so as soon as thats dry il have another a bleeding it oput of the car then refit it. 8-)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Jameswithapug wrote:Who said it was hard job changing the cylinder.
Me I think :oops:

Based on what a ***** of a job it is on a Xantia :lol:

Good stuff James :D nearly there!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jameswithapug
My Cars:

Post by Jameswithapug »

Not going to let it beat me Jim. Would have been a mother of a job had i not removed the inlet manifold. Still got to get it back in yet too, i find things usually come apart easier than they go back together. :lol:
Jameswithapug
My Cars:

Post by Jameswithapug »

Finally sorted it. I went to my local scrap yard and got the whole set up for £20 and the car had a brand new radiator on it too so got that for £20 as well as mines seen better days. Good afternoon well spent. 8-)