knock on passengers side ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

whamni
My Cars:

knock on passengers side ZX

Post by whamni »

I have a knock as i drive over bumps on passengers side ...I changed the trackrod end but its still with me...help someone please. what could it be
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

See if there's any movement in the lower ball joint. Jack up the wheel. Get someone to lever under the wheel while you look at the joint.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

also check the droplinks for play.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

ZX's have a ball bearing at the top of the strut. I seem to remeber from my days with Hillman Hunters and Triumph Stags that often an untraceable noise from the front was due to these bearings getting dry and eventually failing.
The Truimph had another strange noise from the front which could be caused if the spring was fitted the wrong way round in which case it just fouled the bodywork. From what I remember of our ZX there is plenty of room around the spring but while you are down there its worth a look.
jeremy
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

My zx has started to make knocking from the passenger side front which began after having the inner track rod ends replaced. the mechanics excuse for the noise was either the front left shock is knackered or the front suspension strut (bearing)mounting is worn. Its begining to get on my nerves know. have to turn the radio louder to fade the slight knock knock knock out.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

If the knock sounds like a deep knock, the odds are that it is the drop link for your anti roll bar. if you jack up the car and take off the near side front wheel, you will find the drop link, just see if it moves, if it does, it is knackered. It is fairly easy to replace a drop link, but one word of caution, replace both sides, because if one has gone, it will take the other one out too, maybe a few months later. Also check to see if the bushes on the suspension arm haven't worn, they can wear easily. These bushes aren't expensive and not that hard to replace as long as you have a vice available.
See in the Haynes manual.
Regards
Paul
r2d2bis

Post by r2d2bis »

Just to confirm that the knock does come from the anti roll bar drop links. Only took me 5 years to find out where it was coming from.
In my case the drop links had seized up and rusted to the anti roll bar, thus creating a clunck, when the bar was stressed ie: in a corner..
Get them both changed, clean the bar end up with some wet&dry and dab a bit of grease before puting the droplinks back on.
Magic, clunk has gone !
Good luck !