ZX bumper

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

skypilot

ZX bumper

Post by skypilot »

A small piece has been knocked off my ZX's front bumper, driver's side wheel arch, where the wheel arch liner clips on at the bottom. Is this a feasible DIY repair or best left to a bodyshop? Or would a s/h bumper be a cheaper option? It's a Dimension model with colour coded bumpers.
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

They're very hard to get perfect, because they're made of a thermoplastic material which doesn't glue easily. And, life being what it is, you'll have to reckon with the likelihood that somebody in a car park will "test" your repaired bumper sooner or later. In fact I suspect that we all get shunted a couple of times a week but never know it. What I'm saying, in effect, is that Plastic Padding probably won't be flexible enough for the repair.
Have you got the broken-out piece? I managed to repair a busted Pug 205 bumper once by carefully laying a piece of suitable thermoplastic behind the damage, then fitting the broken piece back with numerous tiny self-tapping screws, all lovingly countersunk. A smear of flexible silicone sealant into the remaining crack, left it to dry for a couple of days and sprayed it. Looked fine, did the job.
Getting old bumpers off can be a sod sometimes. An in situ repair would be a lot less hassle, I suspect.
Best of luck
Thompatruck
My Cars:

Post by Thompatruck »

As Mike mentioned, changing a bumper can be a bit tedious at times and in addition finding a 2nd hand one, especially the 'volcane' type and in the right colour is not an easy task, trust me i've tried!
IMHO Mike's solution, if possible, sounds the best solution.
Thompatruck