Air getting in to diesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

Air getting in to diesel

Post by isisalar »

I think I've got air getting into my diesel,and it seems to be getting worse.
A few weeks ago the first symptoms were it felt like it was running out of diesel ie.losing power intermittently for a second or two and then running ok,it was VERY low at the time so I assumed that I'd been lucky to get to the petrol station.
When starting now it occasionally needs cranking far longer than it ever has before.
This week it has taken to dying after about a minutes running after a cold start,will restart after much cranking,with the momentary power loss for the first few miles.
I've given the bulb a squeeze and can hear 'bubbles'.
I may have answered my own question,I just went out to the car to see how hard the bubble would get and saw that diesel was leaking from the feed into the filter housing.It's on the rubber hose after it does a U bend into the housing, original clip still in place.Is it ok to cut the tube back and re fix with a jubilee clip?
I'll do this this afternoon and leave the post up in case it helps anyone else.
Thanks.
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Yes, it should be OK to do that.

I would be inclined to replace that length of pipe though if possible.

It must be bad to actually leak fuel out as usually the slight vacuum 'effect' means it will draw air in but not leak. Actual leakage means its bad. Surprised it started reasonably easily really :)

On an XUD, ideally the 'final' short piece from the filter outlet to the pump inlet, the small bit that's only a few inches long should be a clear piece of pipe (some are from the factory, iirc 97 onwards) but if you sort that leaky piece out for now, then see how you get on.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Check carefully that it is the rubber hose that is leaking, because the fuel filter housing on the mark 1 Xantia did leak onto the hose, giving the impression that it was the hose leaking, in which case you had best visit a scrapyard. if so the Peugeot 405/6 filter housing is similar to the Xantia & will fit. The jubilee clip is fine- I've done it. after replacing the filter housing.
spider

Post by spider »

That's a good point :)

The 1.9 406 is the same as the smaller Xantia one. The 2.1's have the deeper one.

405's (1993 onwards so L plate ideally or newer) along with nearly all 306's 1.9's have the same filter assembly. Some 205's do too, but not that many.

Should have no problem sourcing one though really with a wide range of vehicles its fitted to. There's only (as far as I know) two types and that's just the length. The 2.1TD has the deeper one.
Andy.

isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Well,cut back the pipe and jubilee clipped it and still diesel urinating out!
It's coming from where there is a white plastic screw type thing on the side of the housing.I tried screwing it in but it seemed to make it worse and it wouldn't start.What is this?
I put some blue tack in the surrounding recess which has got it going and back home but need a permanent fix ASAP as I depend on my car for work.
Do I need a new housing or is there a washer/grommet needs replacing?
HELP!
Thanks.
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

That is where they normally leak at the at the white plastic, as you describe. That white plastic part is not meant to be tightened. The washer & or grommet can not be replaced. Your cheapest alternative is a scrapyard. Note Spiders previous post regarding suitable and comparable filter housing from Peugeot models. Replacing is simple.
spider

Post by spider »

The white part is the thermostatic control for the fuel heater, basically a spring and a valve to let fuel pass underneath so it gets heated a bit by the effect being sat on the thermostat housing.

You could try to repair it but its far easier to just grab a replacement to be honest from the scrapyard. Big list of suitable donors.
Andy.

isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Thanks for the replys chaps.It started first time this morning and on a road test is running better than it has for months.Good stuff that blue tack!
I'll source a new housing ASAP.Will not have a chance to fit it before next Saturday.Is there any danger in running it for a week as it is?
Thanks
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
spider

Post by spider »

isisalar wrote:Thanks for the replys chaps.It started first time this morning and on a road test is running better than it has for months.Good stuff that blue tack!
I'll source a new housing ASAP.Will not have a chance to fit it before next Saturday.Is there any danger in running it for a week as it is?
Thanks
Paul
No not really. Although bluetack is a concern as if any of that gets inside the pump you will have big issues.

Assuming that cannot happen, then no it won't be any worse than it was. A blob of grease might of been a safer option. Not sure.

Depending on how far out the stub is, consider wrapping a good piece of plastic (such as a freezer bag) with cable ties over the complete filter assembly to seal out 'air'. I did this for a couple of days with a different type of filter. It worked quite well and let me get on with things while I waited for a replacement. I initially did this to confirm the filter housing was the culprit though.
Andy.

isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

I'm a bit worried now.
Would the filter not stop any debris getting to the pump?
Would the diesel disolve the blue tack?
Don't have any grease,would vaseline do?
Thanks.
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
spider

Post by spider »

No, unlikely. I was just concerned about possible blue tack getting into the pump. I think the filter will stop it though as it passes 'up' through the filter and in any case once warm the thermovalve at the bottom (with that piece of plastic) does not do anything, its only there for initial warmth.

Not sure of the effect of derv on blue tack though :?:
Andy.

bonnyman750
My Cars:

Post by bonnyman750 »

Hi Paul,

all I did when I had diesel leaking out of the bottom of the filter housing was to dismantle the filter housing from the engine, remove the thermostat by prising out the spring washer and pulling out with a pair of long nosed pliers and sourcing replacement 'O' rings from a local bearing factors for pennies. Rebuilt it and so far, maybe 12 months down the line, no leak...

HTH

Glyn
xantiaBFY
My Cars:

Post by xantiaBFY »

bonnyman750 wrote:Hi Paul,

all I did when I had diesel leaking out of the bottom of the filter housing was to dismantle the filter housing from the engine, remove the thermostat by prising out the spring washer and pulling out with a pair of long nosed pliers and sourcing replacement 'O' rings from a local bearing factors for pennies. Rebuilt it and so far, maybe 12 months down the line, no leak...

HTH

Glyn

hi guys,

had a similar sympton to these about 2 weeks ago and did a similar repair of changing the small o-rings and now it starts instantly. cheap repair .. :D
xantiaBFY