speedometer problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

randomx
My Cars:

speedometer problem

Post by randomx »

Hi all
My speed dial keeps sticking at around 50mpg, im wondering if its a sensor problem or if the dial itself is crocked,
If its the sensor, where is it and is it a big job replacing it ?
Any info would be great.
Regards Mike.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

When you say stick at 50 do you mean that it won't go any higher, or that it reads 50 when you've stopped.
The latter is almost certainly in the instrument itself. the former could be either in which case what happens to the 1/10ths indicator. If this functions normally your problem is in the head, if it goes slow as well then the problem is either the drive, its wiring or in the head.
Before replacing the drive unit its well worth checking and cleaning all the electrical connections particularily if those on the gearbox are covered in oil.
Jeremy
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

What car is it on? I had this problem on a Visa - the sun had got to the speedo needle and bent it meaning it hit the plastic screen. Shortened the needle and it was OK. Others took the needle off and heated it up and bent it back straight.
Richard
Jon

Post by Jon »

Seem to recall that Mike has a Xantia 1.9TD
If so, this problem is often caused by the electric speed sensor pickup in the gearbox. This sits above the RH driveshaft on the g/box where the speedo cable drive traditionally lived.
Its GSF N92533 or Citroen 616024 £45.00. We've knocked out 23 of them in the last 6 weeks so therefore assume that they're a problem!
Also found on Berlingo, Xsara and Saxo.
Immatoity

Post by Immatoity »

yeah, my Xantia 1.9TD M Reg 1994 keeps sticking at 50mph...every 3 months or so it will work for 5 minutes...pretty strange!
I have replaced the "transducer" and checked all but this speed sensor in the gearbox...
Is it a nightmare job to get to this sensor in the gearbox?
[:I]
druist

Post by druist »

seems that this is very common with this model, anyone know for sure what it is yet?