Xantia 1.8 16v tickover problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stepto1
My Cars:

Xantia 1.8 16v tickover problems

Post by Stepto1 »

Hi there guys. Just got back from three weeks at sea and the good news is that it started first time and ran fine from Plymouth to Nottingham. Now the bad news; the next day it started fine but when sitting at the lights the engine died. It restarted ok then died again. Upon restarting, the rev counter needle dropped to nearly nil but then picked up and ticked over ok. When reved, the needle dropped too low but recovered.

I'm guessing a sensor is at fault but which one and where is it?
Xantia SX 1.9TD Gone to the breakers
Xantia LX 2.0HDI Taxed and MOT'd at last!
Xantia 1.8 16V SX On loan to brother-in-law
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

maybe your idle stepper motor is dieing,

just for test purposes remove it and give it a blast out with carb cleaner,

the down side i used to think this will after a while kill them completly,

but the last one i tried it on i thought had died so i placed it in a vice tip upwards, squirted duck oil into it, left it to soak for a short while, then tiped it out and refitted it and it was/is fine now,

regards malcolm
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

Thanks for the reply Malcolm. Next question is what is the idle stepper and where do I find it? Need to get this sorted asap as I drive back to Plymouth this afternoon.

This morning, the car started fine but then the rev counter just fell to the bottom of the gauge. Other then that the car runs great.

Cheers for your help.
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

Update:

Found the stepper motor after a search on here. Removed it and gave it a good clean as it was caked in sticky, oily residue. Car starts and ticks over fine now, better then it has for a while. Will get a new one ordered as it would seem that solvents finish them off. Many thanks.
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

Ok, next question is which one do i need to order? Ebay has them on offer for between 20 to 80 quid! My car is a series 1, 16v 1.8.
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Stepto, when you had the ADI unit out, did you make a note of the maker and the number on the unit? That is the most reliable way to identify it.

What did you use to clean it? Switch cleaner is much more forgiving. I would also suggest that if the unit is now working correctly and reliablely, a new replacement may not be needed. Once cleaned they either work well or fail within a very short time.

If you do buy another one, donot get a used unit, chances are it has been fitted and failed. Likewise a new unit should come in a sealed packet, if it is opened, reject it. Might be worth trying Europarts or GSF or a local factors. If you buy on auction, on Ebay, you have no guarantee. :shock:

H
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

before you buy a new unit try the duck oil or light airasol lubb, but not the likes of the W stuff as this dry's things out and does not lubricate,

if you aint got duck oil try the three in one in a spray can,

as i said i tried this on the last one i cleaned with carb cleaner and its working fine to this day,

regards malcolm
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

Thanks guys, I made it back to Plymouth without any problems so fingers crossed. Regreting not giving it a once over with lube before refitting it as it was very dry after being drowned in brake cleaner! Will remove it and give it a spray of Valvoline's excellent 1 to 99 spray oil. I find it clings more then WD 40 and does not make rubber go hard.

I remember that the unit was made in the USA and it's makers name began with M. Shocked how dirty it was, makes me wonder if it's worth giving the other sensors a going over. It does have quite a flat spot on acceleration.
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

No, no, Stepto, donot use any of these 'wonder' sprays as the driers in them attack plastics. Get a can of switch cleaner from an electrical factors, the cleaning elements in the spray are much better and they also contain a semi-permanent lubricant that will not dry out or harden.

If the car is flat-spotting on acceleration, try a can of injector cleaner in the fuel, Wynns, Forte or STP are all good and will help clean the injector nozzles.

H
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Stepto wrote
"I find it clings more then WD 40 and does not make rubber go hard. "

i thought KY is ment for rubbers :twisted: ,

Richard even though i sudgested a spray lubb i use duck oil from a squirty gun, which i fill from a 5lt can, so not airasol,

but the W stuff is a BIG NO NO,

regards malcolm