berlingo 1.9d van loss of power

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dave28

berlingo 1.9d van loss of power

Post by dave28 »

Hi all hope you can help i have just come home from work about a 35 mile run and the van has got powerless max speed 40mph foot hard down puff of black smoke followed by white and then it clears and then the van starts to kangeroo for a bit . :cry:
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

How old is it ?

I think post 2002 the pump is electronic rather than mechanical advance (they did leave it later on the DW8's compared to other engines)

Is the 'k' light on ?

Other possibility is the EGR is stuck open, and imo this 'device' should be dispensed with as by how they work, they clog themselves up on a diesel unit, not a lot can be done about that, but once its cleaned out and closed it can be unplugged (the vacuum control pipe) and that's that 'fixed' ;)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
dave28

Post by dave28 »

Hi spider thanks for your reply the van is on a 03 plate i have just been told by another person that it could be the egr valve is ther a way of testing or even cleaning this or do i have to go and buy a new one.
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Had this problem earlier this week with a Peugeot van, same bits different badge!!

This van also had a very noisey clutch along with rough smokey running.

It turned out that as the thrust bearing was destroying itself, it was throwing it's bits all around the bell housing and smashed the end off the speed sensor (rpm sensor) located at the back of the bell housing.

It would certainly be worth pulling it out and checking, even subsitution is a cheap job, they are around £20.

Regards
Martin.
spider

Post by spider »

You can unplug the vacuum hose to it (but you "must" plug the hose and ideally the open port on the valve too) and see if it makes any difference.

It could be the timing belt slipped a tooth but I would expect knocking noises if that was the case.

The EGR is a simple thing to test though usually.
Andy.

dave28

Post by dave28 »

Thanks again for your help can the egr be cleaned if at fault and if so how can it be done i will test first .
spider

Post by spider »

I don't have one to hand to 'see' how it is but your symptoms do suggest EGR

Here is a pic I found (not mine) > Image

See the concertina pipe ? that's the EGR pipe. On the pic on the extreme right hand side (not shown) is the small vacuum pipe.

Here's another pic Image

Now what you need to do is remove the rubber pipes and block them OR (if you are feeling more adventurous) on the second pic item 11 / 9 , unclip that and block it and block the inlet too.

Be aware that exhaust gas travels in that pipe and the black plastic part is under extreme intake suction.

Someone may have some ideas as if its jammed open the vacuum pipe fix might not work so you need to actually make sure its not permitted to get any exhaust gas for the moment.

If you are handy with a spanner its probably worth you having a bit of time taking it to bits to see if you can see if its open. It should be closed when its not plugged into anything, if that makes sense.

Here's a topic about blanking too > http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=33202
Andy.

dave28

Post by dave28 »

Hi again i am just attempting to clean the EGR but i cannot seem to get it from the manifold do you just twist and pull or is there another way. many thanks
dave28

Post by dave28 »

right update have now removed EGR not in too much of a state really anyway i have noticed that one of the vacum pipes that comes from the EGR has got a piece of metal rammed in the end but were it is meant to connect too is still open.
spider

Post by spider »

Was not sure how its removed, but I think it was just kind of clipped into place.

The metal in the vacuum pipe is just someone has blocked it before, probably a similar problem. If you can close the ends of the pipes / stubs then that should do it.

As you have the valve off, is it open ? , it should be closed when not connected as far as I remember.

The vacuum opens it allowing some exhaust gas from that concertina metal pipe into the air inlet.

Should be (reasonably, hopefully) obvious if its stuck open or not as you have it off the engine now :)

I have to work from memory as I have not seen one for a few years.
Andy.

dave28

Post by dave28 »

right here goes the butterfly inside the EGR valve is open and the rubber pipe was blocked of at th other end where it connects to another type of vacum device
spider

Post by spider »

It should be shut (although this depends on the orientation of the butterfly) , what you are trying to do is stop it getting anything up the metal concertina pipe and only up the main intake pipe.
Andy.

dave28

Post by dave28 »

everything back together now but no differance whats so ever still not a lot of acceleration and very smokey when trying to rev pass 2000 im now thinking of getting a new one for £85 but i am still not 100% sure if that is the problem. :cry:
spider

Post by spider »

If its definitely closed (so only air can enter and not exhaust gas into the plastic inlet manifold) then its not at fault, although this is the usual cause. You have not wasted your time :) , as this is what I would do myself first anyway.

Next things to check are blocked air filter / collapsed air intake (before the filter as well as after)

After that (do you have the 'k' engine warning light on?) there's usually a sensor on one injector assuming electronic pump, but checking the belt timing is worth doing first to check its not jumped a tooth.
Andy.

dave28

Post by dave28 »

there are no warning lights on i have also replaced air and fuel filters but what seems strange is that the van starts up first turn of the key everytime and also idle's as smooth as anything and there is no smoke when idleing