Loud knocking sound

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mikep
My Cars:

Loud knocking sound

Post by mikep »

It's one thing after another !
Just had new front spheres fitted on my Xantia 96 auto. Now I have a loud continous knocking sound when using the accelerator, the faster I go, the faster the knocking sound, although the car is running ok in other respects.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what it might be ? there is nothing loose under the bonnet or underneath the car.
mikep

Citroen Xantia auto sx 1996
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Mike,

may help others to know:
does it happen only when stationary, or only when moving, or both?

John
mikep
My Cars:

Post by mikep »

Only when moving, it seems as if it noisier within the car than out and appears to come from the front drivers side.
mikep

wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

broken droplink, engine mount,driveshaft nut come loose,wheel nuts loose,
numerous bushes to check,
Is it a regular knock as your moving, is it worse when you turn corners.
wright
My Cars:

Post by wright »

the faster you drive the faster the knocking,
jack up the front drivers wheel and turn it and examine the wheel an drive shaft while spinning the wheel
mikep
My Cars:

Post by mikep »

No if anything it goes quieter when cornering. I have checked for anything loose or hanging and nothing found. I had the front brake discs and pads done recently, but it's not that sort of noise anyway.someone said it could be brake calipers but I'm getting it checked out on Monday, I'll let you know the results.
mikep

handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Big ends? :D :D :D Somebody locked in the boot?
wright
My Cars:

Post by wright »

if the noise gets faster the faster you drive, the wheels drive shafts, wheel bearings all go as fast as the car, i had a knocking on my c5 that was a very badly buckled wheel moved it to the back an i could still feel it but when on the front it was banging but it wasn't hitting anything
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Have you checked the wheel nuts on the wheels??? maybe one may be slithly loose? or check the suspension mounting if it has become loose when the sphere was loosend???
Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

"I had the front brake discs and pads done recently"

I suspect therein lies the problem - most likely they have failed to catch the caliper when driving the securing pin back in, and it is catching on a wheel weight..... I'd get the wheel off and have a look ASAP!
Richard W
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Some automatic Xantia's were fitted with the largest brake calipers (288mm) which are very prone to rattling around on their mounting carriers, especially when accelerating. This issue was the subject of two service bulletins and all three Xantia's that I have owned fitted with these calipers have suffered from this problem. To see whether this is the cause of your noise pull up the handbrake when the noise occurs, if the noise stops you have found the cause. To resolve it Citroen produce a kit consisting of two bracing springs to brace the calipers.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Dickie, this one is fitted with the regular Bendix calipers, not the later Bosch units. Too old at 1996!

H
mikep
My Cars:

Loud Knocking

Post by mikep »

suspect therein lies the problem - most likely they have failed to catch the caliper when driving the securing pin back in, and it is catching on a wheel weight..... I'd get the wheel off and have a look ASAP!
You were right RichardW, I took it back to KwikFit & Run, and that was exactly the problem. and zero cost for a change ! --thanks
mikep

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I would think that branch ought to have its MOT franchise withdrawn. Very poor work from a professional outfit.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

who said they were profesional? ive certainly not seen any evidence to suggest that any professional behavour is evident there :lol: .

Anyone tried 'my purple garage? they may be for girls but they seem to have the right idea about how a garage is run and there adverts for staff are very reasuring, seems they are trying to get mechanics who are unhappy with shoddy work practices and deception with their current employers to come to them and be rewarded for quality of work and not quantity, they should be supported.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............