xantia tailgate earth

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

xantia tailgate earth

Post by wotwot »

After reading a couple of posts regarding light issues in the tailgate of an estate,I thought I might post up to see if someone might help out.
I have previously had problems with just the tailgate lights and turned out it was a bad connection which I cleaned and all was well.
Now I have another problem,high brake light not working (bulb ok) reversing light working with tailgate open,but dims as I close the tailgate down (bad earth I think).does the tailgate have 1 or 2 earths and where do they go to,if I can sort that bit out first then I can go on and see if there are any broken wires whithin the loom.
Last edited by wotwot on 08 Feb 2011, 15:32, edited 2 times in total.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

As the tailgate is mostly plastic or glass, any earthing wire will have to be taken back through the loom to the main body.

From your symptoms about dimming lights, I think you will find either damaged insulation or broken wires in the looms as they pass through the bodywork into the tailgate.

If all your other functions in the tailgate work correctly, then it must be defective wiring as the earth leads are all common. :roll:

H
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Thanks for the help, yes it is more likely going to be damaged wires in the loom,and not looking forward to fiddling with about five inches of wire that you can get to,but I still wanted to know where the earth or earths contact the metalwork.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'll be too busy this evening but if you want, I can supply the tailgate wirring diagrams for the estate which will show you exactly where things are.

I'd say almost certainly your problems are broken wires in the concertinas. The high-level brake light is in the RH concertina as you stand looking into the tailgate...

EDIT: Is it a MK1 or MK2?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

mk1 I think N reg,Thanx jim, looked in the haynes but like the rest of the book not a lot of help :shock: .the diagram would be great when you have the time,brake lights side lights and indicators all work so not desperate.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No worries Sir! If I've not done the deed by tomorrow mid-evening, give me a nudge...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Thanks Jim will do.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Here's the diagrams for the rear foglights wotwot...

There's a whole set of diagrams for each set of lights but this set gives a good basic picture of how the wiring goes on the tailgate...

Circuit

Harnesses

Locations

If you need any more for specific tailgate circuits, let me know....
Jim

wotwot
(Donor 2021)
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Many thanks for that Jim :D, dust of my wire strippers and soldering iron this weekend.Must get some insulating tape.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Jim, is this the same circuits for the Mk2? If not can you post up, please. H
Bud
My Cars:

Post by Bud »

Hi ,,,,had the same prob onmy w reg estate with the wiring in both concertinas falling apart,,,,I used a good stanley knife and cut the join in the gaiter and unfortunately french wiring is not the greatest and was resistant to solder so had to use connectors and not a great deal of room.
Have thesame problems within the door shuts as well,,,, and to repair the gaiter ,,,super glue and tiny cable ties to hold gaiter together till glue cures.