c5 2003 hdi 110 brake discs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sportingfiat
My Cars:

c5 2003 hdi 110 brake discs

Post by sportingfiat »

just been looking to change all my discs and pads all round

when i put my reg in most car databases pick it up fine but im finding there are 2 variations in front discs

there is a 283mm twin vent and a slightly bigger 288mm twin vent, how do you tell which is on my car without a full strip down :(

cheers
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

It doesn't need a full strip down, just remove a wheel and measure the disc :)
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Post up the RP number or the chassis suffix here and somebody with access to Servis Citroen will be able to look up the variants and tell you what is fitted.

Alternatively, take off a front wheel and measure the disc!:roll:

Why are you fitting new discs on the rear? Are they scored or damaged? They add very little to the braking performance under normal braking, so if they are in good order, leave well alone.

When you buy discs and pads, get either OE or good quality makes, as much of the cheap stuff sold in factors or on Ebay is, frankly, rubbish. I hear too many comments from bods who have used the cheap option, only to find that the braking performance is somewhat lacking. :hb:

Handyman
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Re: c5 2003 hdi 110 brake discs

Post by Kowalski »

sportingfiat wrote:just been looking to change all my discs and pads all round

when i put my reg in most car databases pick it up fine but im finding there are 2 variations in front discs

there is a 283mm twin vent and a slightly bigger 288mm twin vent, how do you tell which is on my car without a full strip down :(

cheers
If you have an account on service.citroen.com you can put your VIN number in and you should be able to find out what size discs from that.

The 283mm and 288mm brake discs are different thicknesses, you can measure their thickness with a micrometer without removing the wheels and that may indicate which discs are fitted.
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Just my two penny's worth

Went to GSF the other day and bought front discs and pads.Was already armed with the size of the discs to tell them what I required.
'Dont worry sir' they said,'Give us your chassis /vin number and we can tell from the database what size discs your car requires'
Sure enough their database matched what I had on the car,also there was a choice of 3 different vented discs for my car.
Anyway nice to know that sort of service is there.

PS I dont work for GSF, just used them several times over the years.

Regards Steve
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'
sportingfiat
My Cars:

Post by sportingfiat »

looks like a wheel off job tomorrow

Both sets of discs are badly scoured and back now and then grinds, off to france in march so taking no chances

think gonna order the Mintex ones as they should be good quality

cheers
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

If the C5 rear brakes set-up is as for the Xantia, then I suggest you check the rears to see if the grinding is due to the discs not running squarely within the calipers (in the ultimate scenario, the caliper is pushed off it's mounting so much that the disc starts rubbing/grinding against the caliper body). This is caused by corrosion of the rear face of the caliper, the evidence being white powder. Lots about this on the Forum if you do a search.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

MIntex is good, as is Ferodo. Their quality matches OE, so you should not have any problems. One of my prefered makes. =D> \:D/

H
sportingfiat
My Cars:

Post by sportingfiat »

just ordered the front and back discs and front and back pads
2 x mintex brake box sets
£121 all in delivered, cant complain at that

there are some sets on the bay for £90 all in but not sure on quality and since the wife does 60 miles a day up and down the motorway its not worth the risk

hoping they arent a total pig to do now :O