406 Hdi reverse gear not always engaging

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

406 Hdi reverse gear not always engaging

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Folks

Ever since I had had this 406 it has sometimes been difficult to select reverse, doesn't seem as though there is enough travel on the lever to fully engage it, I have seen one two comments suggesting it might be a stretched cable, but the other day not only did it snick straight in but all the slop had dissapeared from the gear lever on all gears, needless to say it didn't last and is now back to sloppiness - any suggestions?

Peter
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I cannot recall what the cable mountings are like on these but if you have a look at any brackets around the top of the transmission (I'm kind of thinking they might be the same as the cable change Expert van in a way) for any movement / loose or broken bracketry as a first step.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

Also if the outer part of the cable isn't located solidly at either end you can get these problems, so you need to check at the gear lever end as well
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks Andy and dieselnut, sounds quite logical that, I will investigate when it stops raining and I've got five minutes.

Peter
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi. Solved the problem, it was that the crimping had failed on the gear lever end of the right hand cable and the outer cable was being pushed out sometimes in reverse, I crimped the sleeve up with a pair of molegrips, works perfectly now.

Don't take any notice of My Hains who says you have to take the center console out - you don't, guess how I know :x

Thanks for your suggestions

Peter
lochraceness

Re: 406 Hdi reverse gear not always engaging

Post by lochraceness »

Hello. I know this is an old thread, but I've got exactly the same problem.

I may be a bit dim, but would it be possible for you to enlighten me as to how you took out the gear lever without taking the center console out please?

I have had a few quick looks around the gear lever, but I've failed to see how one could take out the gear lever with the center console in situ. My car is a 2002 2,2i 16v petrol with a 116kW engine.

Thankful for any replies. Thanks.

Cheers, Lochraceness
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

If its the same problem you don't need to take out the gear lever. Look under the car beneath the gear lever and you will see the housing with two cables going into the front, the outer part of the cable should be secure, if it moves when you change gear that's the problem, get someone to operate the lever while you are watching underneath.

The reverse cable is the one nearest the drivers side - I think, its a long time since I did it. The cable fits into a metal sleeve to which it should be securely clamped, if its loose get a decent pair of mole grips and squeeze the sleeve hard until it grips, you need to screw the grips up until they clamp and them press hard until they snap shut, you might have to do this several times in different places.

I see it was over three years ago and its still OK.

Hope it works for you.

Peter
lochraceness

Post by lochraceness »

Thank you very much for your time and reply, that's great help.

Unfortunately, I think my cable is shattered beyond repair and I think I will have to change it.

As my car is a 2,2i 16v petrol, It's quite hard to get a new one. This might be asking a lot, but does anyone know from which engine alternatives I can use a wire from? Will 2,2 diesel with the same gearbox (BVM5 btw) work?

Thankful for any replies.

Cheers, Lochraceness
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It looks like it depends on the age and exactly what box is fitted. If you post up the VIN we can check.

Hopefully it's not an ML5C, as these only come as a complete unit costing £235.... :roll: Single cables for ML5T are around £80-£90 and shared across a few models - maybe [-o<
Richard W
lochraceness

Post by lochraceness »

Thank you very much for your reply!

My VIN is VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff], any input of as to what to fit would be highly appreciated.

I think parts are much cheaper in UK than in Norway... the single cable I need for my car is GB£280ish here in Norway.

EDIT: I'm sorry if I have been cross or unpolite in any way; I'm struggling a bit with the British code and conduct, but I am trying my best. I do behave well in Norway :-) I realise I may be asking a lot, but the car is rather stuck at the moment and so am I. Will help others if I can.

Cheers, Lochraceness
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

OK, lucky, it's not an ML5C :-D Here are the part numbers:

Right hand cable
2444 T0
CONTROL CABLE
PASSAGE L 1135

Left hand cable
2444 R3
CONTROL CABLE
SELECTION L 1052

UK Prices:

Reference Description Quantity Price - VAT Price + VAT Total + VAT
00002444R3 CONTROL CABLE 63.89 GBP 76.67 GBP

00002444T0 CONTROL CABLE 74.20 GBP 89.04 GBP

The right hand cable is only shared with the V6 after RP 8985
The left hand cable is shared with all variants that have the ML5T gear box (2.0, 2.2 diesel, 2.2, V6 petrol)
Richard W
lochraceness

Post by lochraceness »

Ok. Thank you very much for great response. It's a great help to know what car I can take the cables from. Thanks!

The parts prices are generously low in Britain, I think :-) I will try to get hold of a used unit from a V6, if I don't succeed, I will try to buy a new cable from somewhere else than Norway.

Cheers, Lochraceness
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

If it's really 4 times the price in Norway, let me know - I expect I could get one and post it over for a lot less than that! I checked on Citroen, but the part numbers do not come up, so it looks like Peugeot only. Might there be someone in Norway that could repair the cable?
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Richard try checking the prices after switching country to Norway in service citroen :idea: :idea: :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
lochraceness

Post by lochraceness »

Thank you very much for a great offer... The price is the one I got when I called 'Bertel O Steen' @ Jessheim, Norway. They quoted me 2865 NOK for a cable with part number 2444T0 (didn't ask if it was with or without VAT). I am telling the truth here. Link to the shop who gave me the quote: http://www.bosbil.no/Forhandlere/Bertel ... ONBIL/Hjem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know if anyone can repair it, but me... I have had thoughts about soldering it, but I do not know if it can be done.

I have contacted a seller of used parts I found via http://www.finn.no" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, but he is currently on vacation in Denmark. He said he should contact me when he got home.

Thanks to you, I know what to look for when I shall buy a used part.

If that goes wrong, and you are still willing to help me, I will contact you. In case you are willing to help me, I will of course pay everything in advance, e.g. via paypal.

We'll see what happens.

EDIT: Thought I'd let you know that I have bought the wire from Sweden. The price there was approx 1700 NOK (1820SEK) which is 'borderline acceptable'. I am waiting for it to be delivered. Thank you all very much for your good contribution.

Edit2: The gear wire/cable is now mounted and the car runs like a dream. Thank you very much.

Cheers, Lochraceness