Xantia 1.9 td sx service questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

redzzed
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9 td sx service questions

Post by redzzed »

my xantia had a new cam and alternator belt fitted about 36 miles ago .
It's a late 1997 1.9 td sx with a/c and the engine looks similar but not the same as zx xud engines that i have had .When would i need to replace these and how expensive would that be . ?

I am planning to do an oil change myself and think that 10w 40 oil semi synthetic should be ok , that's what i last used on my old zx , can anyone confirm .

thanks guys .
current : 1997 xantia 1.9 td sx a/c
previous cars :
1997 zx memphis td
1996 zx volcane td
1994 zx volcane td
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If it was only 36 miles, then it won't be due for a long time.... :lol: If it was done 36,000 miles ago, then it will due in about the same - change interval is 72k, but if the mileage is getting up, and the tensioners weren't done last time then I'd be thinking about doing it at 50k / 5 years. It's at least a 4 hour job, and the bits are around £100, so £250 ish if you are paying someone.

10W40 semi will be ideal!
Richard W
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

the recommended service interval for the S2 1.9TD xantia cambelt is exactly 72,000 miles.
I was advised by Martin at pleiades not to leave it any longer than 50K the haynes manual for my xantia recommends to halve this milage to 36K
under certain conditions.

I had mine done last January 2010 waterpump, cambelt all new pulleys and serpentine belt/aux belt around £180 new pulleys are now made of plastic.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 03 Feb 2011, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:the recommended service interval for the S2 1.9TD Xantia cambelt is exactly 72,000 miles.
I was advised by Martin at pleiades not to leave it any longer than 50K the haynes manual for my Xantia recommends to halve this milage to 36K
under certain conditions.

I had mine done last January 2010 waterpump, cambelt all new pulleys and serpentine belt/aux belt around £180 new pulleys are now made of plastic.
The cambelt interval is 72K.
Originally fitted belts were found to be substandard (can't remember up to which RP number) and so were changed at 50K, but once that's been done it's back to the normal XUD 72K.
Last edited by Xaccers on 04 Feb 2011, 19:01, edited 2 times in total.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

to add to what Xac said newer cars have longer intervales between belt change's,

and i always thought it is recomended 72K or three years,

regards malcolm
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

I asked Martin @ Pleiades because he was to do the Job
(I have a hernia) Martin said for the 1.9TD the very limit should be 50K if your acting responsibly",

Haynes Manual for the S2 xantia K to Y reg page 1B*3.
granted the haynes book of lies does say 72K but it also lists the service interval for the timming belt in the 36K section and this says" although the service interval is 72K it is strongly recommended that the interval is halved, to 36,000 miles on vechicles which are subjected to intensive use,
ie mainly short journeys or a lot of stop start driving, the actual belt renewal is therefore up to the individual owner , but bear in mind that sever engine damage can result if the belt breaks"

so its up to me when I have it changed I chose arouind 47K last year but it had been on the car for at least five years.

regards Nigel.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 03 Feb 2011, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:I asked Martin @ Pleiades because he was to do the Job
(I have a hernia) Martin said for the 1.9TD the very limit should be 50K if your acting responsibly",

Haynes Manual for the S2 Xantia K to Y reg page 1B*3.
granted the haynes book of lies does say 72K but it also lists the service interval for the timming belt in the 36K section and this says" although the service interval is 72K it is strongly recommended that the interval is halved, to 36,000 miles on vechicles which are subjected to intensive use,
ie mainly short journeys or a lot of stop start driving, the actual belt renewal is therefore up to the individual owber , but bear in mind that sever engine damage can result if the belt breaks"

so its up to me when I have it changed I chose arouind 47K last year but it had been on the car for at least five years.

regards Nigel.
Yes Nigel, you can change the cambelt whenever you like.
72K is the recomended distance and should be treated as a maximum as with all service periods.
Last edited by Xaccers on 04 Feb 2011, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car

Not according to the garage that advised me to have mine done at a limit of 50K I appolagise if this was misleading. The above has been edited for the benefit of those that were mislead and havent bought a haynes manual. I am happy even if it does cost me a couple of hundred quid every three to five years for peace of mind.
I am reasonably confident that Pleiades has advised me correctly.

best wishes Nigel.
redzzed
My Cars:

Post by redzzed »

Thanks for the replies , it was 36K miles ago , my mistake in not stating that .

Good to hear that 50k will probably be ok , that's what i was hoping and also
the interval i was observing with my Zxs'.

Actually it was 33k miles ago according to the speedo , but i recently noticed
that the top mileage counter seems to be losing , or not registering some of the miles that go onto the lower/trip counter .
Still , i have the last mot (which gives the mileage)and the one before that, so either this hasn't been going on for long , or there isn't much being lost .
current : 1997 xantia 1.9 td sx a/c
previous cars :
1997 zx memphis td
1996 zx volcane td
1994 zx volcane td
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i agree Nigle if you are requestting a job done there is nout wrong with that,

and its not just the mileage that should be taken into account,

say a car had done 15K miles 4 or more years ago it should be replaced,

because even if it aint done the miles it dose deteriarate over time,