Xantia - auxillary coolant input / output feeds location?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

romie
My Cars:

Xantia - auxillary coolant input / output feeds location?

Post by romie »

1996 1.9 TD Xantia Bosch IP

Hi, I've started this thread as I was just wondering where would be the best place to tap into the coolant lines if I wanted to have an axillary coolant feed for the purposes of supplying heat?

'Best' for me would be quickest, simplest and cheapest :p

All the coolant hoses look rather hidden.

I was thinking at the heating matrix but that doesn't look that accessible?

Top of rad for 'Hot coolant out' and bottom for 'cooler coolant return'? - but still all pretty much hidden.

Big ol pipe going to fuel filter housing?

Hmm, any thoughts?

Ta
Citroen Xantia 1.9TD 1996 estate 100% veg 323k
Ford Transit Tourneo 2.5L Di 1999 165k
Yamaha R1 1999 26k
Kawasaki ZXR750 L1 1993 66k (to LPG?)
Suzuki Bandit GSF400 1992 x 2
Mountain bike, skateboards, snowboards, surfboard, longboard and feet!
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

HI Romie,

Just a thought, what about using one of the bleed outlets on the system as an auxillary outlet :!:

Some of the other guys may give a good reason not to.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Tapping into the radiator pipes is not the best idea as you will only get hot water when the thermostat is open, the best place would probably be the heater hoses, or just one, if you connect one pipe to the hose and the other from where you have removed it you should have a constant flow of hot water.

Peter
romie
My Cars:

Post by romie »

ah, good point Peter.N and KennyW.

Yeah and instead of tee's I KNOW I'll get a constant feed of hot water the same temp as what's going through the heating matrix. . If only it was more accessible >:z
Yamaha R1 1999 26k
romie
My Cars:

Post by romie »

K, so the hoses are clipped into the back of the heating matrix. When under the hood, (bonnet in English terms), and facing the two hoses going through the bulkhead, which one is hot coolant in and which is return?

Can't see yet where the left hand side one goes under the engine.

Does anyone know if there an easier point at which I can access the 'Hot coolant in' hose under the engine/at the rad?

Ta
Yamaha R1 1999 26k
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

It doesn't really matter, the temperature will be near enough the same unless you have the heater on full blast, the flow will be the hottest one.

Peter
romie
My Cars:

Post by romie »

1996 Xantia estate 1.9TD Bosch IP pump.

Any idea of what the inside diameter of the heating matrix hose is?

I'm thinking of putting in a couple of elbows to 'spur' off of the coolant pipe and pondering what to use?

Cheers
Yamaha R1 1999 26k
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I would think about 1/2" 13mm? 15mm copper elbows might fit.
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

romie wrote:ah, good point Peter.N and KennyW.

Yeah and instead of tee's I KNOW I'll get a constant feed of hot water the same temp as what's going through the heating matrix. . If only it was more accessible >:z
Just behind the engine opposite the fuel filter housing is where I tapped my fuel heater (xantia 1.9td). It was a bit of a pain but well worth sorting out. :wink:

Howie
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

romie,

The others have missed the obvious place which is easy to get to. and has a good flow and return of very hot water, I shall look tommorrow and post which pipe is flow and which pipe is return I have drawn arrows on them in white paint marker.

I put a flat plate heat exchanger from www.dieselveg.com in my S2 xantia 1.9td to run on filtered waste vegetable oil just over six months ago, I also didnt like the prospect of anything going wrong if a leak occured around the back of the engine, so I connected the kits two 12mm outside diameter Tees up to the oil cooler lines on the front of the engine opposite the radiators,
the lines are protected with plastic sheaths and a bit of a pain to cut through you will need a junior hacksaw, because the sheath is so tight around the pipes it is hard to get fittings to go into the pipes so the sheath needs to be cut back a couple of inches. you will have a fight on your hands trying to get 15mm copper pipe into these lines it will not go.

I managed to get two lines in to plumb in my flat plate heat exchanger which is mounted on the top right gearbox end of the cam cover, the only place it would go easily. the pipes easily pass over the gearbox where there is plenty of room.

Now all connections are easily accessable if a leak should occur in the future, no burnning your hands on the back of the engine or cutting them to shreads trying to get at the coolant lines and my little heat exchanger heats up very quickly indeed.

I hope this helps.

regards Nigel.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 03 Feb 2011, 01:11, edited 3 times in total.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:romie,

The others have missed the obvious place which is easy to get to. and has a good flow and return of very hot water, I shall look tommorrow and post which pipe is flow and which pipe is return I have drawn arrows on them in white paint marker.

I put a flat plate heat exchanger from Dieselveg in my S2 Xantia 1.9td to run on filtered waste vegetable oil just over six months ago, I also didnt like the prospect of anything going wrong if a leak occured around the back of the engine, so I connected the kits two 5/8 Tees up to the oil cooler lines on the front of the engine opposite the radiators, the lines are protected with plastic sheaths and a bit of a pain to cut through you will need a junior hacksaw, because the sheath is so tight around the pipes it is hard to get fittings to go into the pipes so the sheath needs to be cut back a couple of inches.

I managed to get two lines in to plumb in my flat plate heat exchanger which is mounted on the top right gearbox end of the cam cover, the only place it would go easily. the pipes easily pass over the gearbox where there is plenty of room.

Now all connections are easily accessable if a leak should occur in the future, no burnning your hands on the back of the engine or cutting them to shreads trying to get at the coolant lines.

I hope this helps.

regards Nigel.
I seem to remember it wasnt a bad job to do. I'm not sure which pipes your talking about as my settup ensured that as soon as the engine was started to warm, heat was transfering to the heat exchanger. All the pipes on the front require the thermostat to be open don't they?
It would be easier if your correct.
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

I like many others have very large hands I t doesnt make a lot of difference you wont get any decent heat until the stat opens anyway, 1 or 2 mins doesnt really make much difference the fuel pump return lines start to raise the fuel tank fuel temperature within ten mins. so no help there.

Heat exchanger or no you still have to start on cold oil, the secret is fitting a 4 to 7 psi facet pump because heat exchangers on xantias increase the distance that fuel has to be dragged by the fuel pump unaided, fitting a facet pump stops the mechanical pump from struggling to drag the fuel the extra distance and causing a vacum inside the the heat exchanger introducing air into the fuel line when cold this also stops the cold engine hunting on cold veg oil, no facet pump eventually a broken fuel pump that wont suck fuel up to the engine hot or cold. I'm not going to argue with someone who obviously can't be given the easy way to do something or wants everyone else to do it his way. theres no,pleasing some people, I even bothered to check the internal diameter of the oil cooler lines 12mm. the outside diameter is 18mm.
afterall he did ask for an easier way to do it, the oil cooler is behind the oil filter. as I said above the HE gets nice and hot very quickly.

(Edited)
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 04 Feb 2011, 17:53, edited 2 times in total.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
falling-out-with-my-car

howiedean wrote:
romie wrote:ah, good point Peter.N and KennyW.

It was a bit of a pain but well worth sorting out.

Howie
romie
My Cars:

Post by romie »

Hey, cheers guys. Thank you very much for passing on your - 'obviously hard earned' findings!

It's great to hear everyones different views and methods about an idea. Especially as this subject seems to have sooo many perfectly valid variations and can be quite subjective, (like art I suppose :) Each individual will have a slightly different priority set against each decision.

I greatly appreciate the 'positively constructive' views of anyone who's taken the time to explain, and it's not an easy task to achieve in quite an expressively bleak medium like a technical forum.

Anywho, not to 'get off subject', there's a bit to read through and take in there. I've found the 'high temp', antifreeze/oil resistant, hose couplings on ebay of various diameters. I might get an assortment before cutting into stuff :s
Wonder if Citroen would tell me specifications of pipes? Can you get microfiche with it all on, or is it all just Citroen part numbers?
Yamaha R1 1999 26k
falling-out-with-my-car

Romie, the 12 mm tees I fitted to the oil cooler pipes were supplied to fit the xantia heater matrix hoses, it was just luck that they fitted the oil cooler hoses.

good luck with you project Romie appolagies for the above (rant).

(edit) Romie I almost forgot to check the 12mm inside diameter flow and return pipes from the oil cooler behind the oil filter for you.

if your standing facing the engine with the bonnet open the right hand pipe from the oil cooler is flow and the left hand is the return. although I supose it probably wouldnt matter if you are just putting in a couple of 12mm Tees into the line heat will get to an exchanger anyway.

ps you don't half look like that Jimmys farm dude on the telly.

regards Nigel.