Electric Front Windows

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BarmyDragon
My Cars:

Electric Front Windows

Post by BarmyDragon »

Having searched the forum from page 1 - 88 I could not find a solution to my problem which is the electric windows on my car.
Both the passenger & drivers windows do not work,(which obviously means there is no power going to the switches unless the bulbs have gone which is doubtful)
When I put side lights on the switches normally light up, this now does not happen. I have checked the fuse F29- 30 and replaced it and still now function of the windows. I have tried to look at the rear of the Facia Fusebox but it only releases a fraction after releasing the locking plastic catch so I cannot look to the rear of the fusebox to see if the plug has released itself.
If anyone can make any sense of my wording. How can I check the rear of this box without having to strip all the facia. Kids are getting fed up with their daddy saying open the back windows [B)]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Over the years I've had problems with power windows on Cits caused through contacts in the switches being dirty or having fluff getting between the contacts. Has that been checked?
Alan S
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Erm, I dunno if my 94 is suspect, but all my windows, and the switch-lights are on as long as the aux power is available, regardless of side/headlight state. As Alan says, sounds like an electrical gremlin here, and bearing in mind our different aparent 'configurations', either you or I may have a dodgy relay !
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

is there power at fuse 29 (constant +ve) & power at fuse 30 with ingnition at accesory position ? this will be a good place to start finding the fault.i think the lights in the switches should be accesory fed (from fuse 29 via the relay) like mbunting said.
BarmyDragon
My Cars:

Post by BarmyDragon »

Checked the fuses and both are active with ignition at accessory. Will have to trace along the wires when I get a moment poss break [:(]
<b>mbunting</b> you say a a poss dodgy relay. Either the Dealers are trying to rip me off and get me to fork out £45 an hour to spend time on doing a wire check but they say there is NO relay for the electric windows ?? [:(!]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Fuse number for front electric windows is No.21 @ 30amp on my 97TD as per hand book.
Dave
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

according to the diagram there is a relay,i dont know wich one it is exactly but its where i would start checking next,pin 2 of the relay should be earth,pin 1 should be the accesory feed from fuse 30,pin 3 should be a permanant live (from fuse 29),pin 5 wire should go live with the ignition on (output to the window switches).the relay should be a green plug.
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

Hi all,
On the subject does anyone know of some electric window switches with LIGHTS in them that will fit the ZX as my switches aren't illuminated. Not a biggy, obviously, but then it only takes two minutes the change the switch so if I could get some lit ones.
Guru Meditation
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

I am not sure if they are the same size but the MkII Cx ones have lights
Pete
________
Twin
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:37, edited 1 time in total.
stuartb
My Cars:

Post by stuartb »

Guru Meditation: The window switches in my wife's '95 ZX 1.9D are much bigger than the ones in my '93 Xantia 1.9TD.
Hope this helps.
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

OOh OOh i might be able to help!! Jesus i hvent been able to give advice before!!
I had the Exact same problem on my previous AX GT, turns out that the rubber tubing from the door to the car body contains the electric windows/speakers/central locking wires. The wire on mine had snapped and thus the window didnt work.
Wey Hey, !! hope that helped[:D][:D]