What a shame....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

quikjraw

What a shame....

Post by quikjraw »

I bought a Xantia 1.9 TD SX, nearly two weeks ago and after some technical advice from this forum was due (today) to do a full service (LHM, oil, filters etc.)
Coming home from work yesterday on the M6 at about 65mph my cambelt snapped and a large hole is in the bottom of the engine.. Lost PAS, suspension and now a car.
What I would like to know from anybody on here is, does anybody want any of it before I scrap it?
It is 1995 and has done 97k miles.
I am really disappointed because this was my first Xantia and I really like the car.
John[V]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Well that really is bad luck, John. Have you had the front covers off to see the extent of the damage? It's been said many times on these pages, but worth repeating - when you get a Citroen of unknown history, make the cambelt one of your first jobs.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If you like the car why scrap it? There are many scrapped Xantias around and you should be able to find a sound TD engine without too much trouble. ZX engine is the same basically I believe (different drive belts) and the same goes for them.
Just be a little careful about newer engines as they may be more electronic than yours and a bit more difficult to fit. I'm sure there are other contributors here who will be able to fill you in on the details.
Where are you? It may even be that someone here has an engine.
jeremy
quikjraw

Post by quikjraw »

I live near Coventry, I did think about it but it's just the unknown cost of it. If anyone does have an engine then yes I would be interested but then I am not guaranteed of it's state.
Thanks it is an idea.
John
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

John,
Neither are you guaranteed that the next car you buy will make it back to your house in one piece.
I have to confess to buying a 94 TD at 108k with unknown belt history, running it for another 40k before changing the belt. It did look a little worn !!!
It may help you to let us know exactly what has happened. You say there is a hole in the bottom of the engine, where, how big, what happened when it went bang ? It may be that the belt snap was an effect of a so-far unknown cause - eg. crank or pulley failure, or something like that.
As mentioned, you may be better with a replacement engine ( you'll change the belt and stuff on that before you put it in the car, won't you ??? ).
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

John
Thinking about it bottom end damage to these engines when the belt breaks is unusual. Normally it seems that the camshaft is snapped (the valves being vertical are punched up by the pistons) and the damage is confined to the head. There are contributiors here who say they simply replace the camshaft and all is well butdamage can be caused to the bearing caps which need to be line bored for a proper fit.
I am surprised that a piston or rod has come through the bottom end.
Vanny who regularily writes on this board obtained a 1.9 TD from a Xantia which he has fitted in a BX and is apparently sound. Many scrap dealers offer sound engines to the trade and obviously are very careful about what they supply. There is therefore a well established source of supply - its just a question of tapping into it.
I'm in Southampton and therefore my contacts are no use.
Jeremy
franciscolunn
My Cars:

Post by franciscolunn »

Bad luck mate we feel for you,take note of these forum comments, there is someone out there who will help you i've no doubt.
quikjraw

Post by quikjraw »

I was doing 65mph there was a noise and I lost power. There is a three inch hole in the bottom end and I can see the crankshaft. I haven't fully investigated it to be honest but I would agree that a cambelt failure doesn't normally cause damage to the bottom end.
Incidentally my sister has a 1.9D ZX non-turbo can I "easily" fit the turbo from my kapput xantia onto her car, obviously letting insurers nd DVLA know? What else will fit on her car from my xantia?
Thanks all for your sympathy by the way.
John
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Bad luck John, sounds like its thrown a rod to me.
Bad news with the ZX too I'm afraid, you can't easily stick the turbo from the Xantia on it, the intercooler is different and the turbo outlet is angled differently so even with a ZX intercooler it still wont go.
There are good reasons why its best not to attempt turbocharging the 1.9D, compression ratio and strength of internal components like conrods and pistons are a couple for starters.
I would have thought you could source a good bottom end for reasonable cost, since its usualy the top end that causes the problems on these lumps.
The gearbox will fit the ZX but the top three ratios are higher and will make the 1.9D seem very slow.
Dave
quikjraw

Post by quikjraw »

what about any of the other more cosmetic stuff seats fogs etc?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Front seats might fit but not sure, most of the cosmetic stuff is model specific and won't be transferable to a different type.
If you are going to break it then I'd be interested in the, injection pump, cylinder head if not damaged, steering rack if good and the electric rear windows, but if I were you I'd be looking for a block and get it going again.
Dave
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

If you are interested in an engine/gearbox then one has just gone on sale on ebay, search on Xantia
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

john,
if you do decide to break it up[}:)], i would be interested in the charcoal canister, if fitted as mine has snapped the pipe nipples ontop & Citroen want loads of money.
dom
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Trying to get hold of a Xantia TD engine is like finding rocking horse $#!t on a tuesday morning when the night before has had a 1/8th waxing moon, bit difficult (that is to find a low milleage example!! But either way they arent difficult find, but its a case of better the devil you dont (taxi drivers, need i say more??) But ANY Peugeot engine (ie Peugeot/Citroen) is relatively easy to fit, they ALL have the same mountings, something of a gift.
If the rest of the car is in good nick, later reg (After N), saloon or estate it IS worth putting it back on the road just for the sale value. In your case its worth sourcing an engine and putting it back ont he road, if only to sell on (you'll make more money for little work).
Turning a 1.9na into a 1.9TD is nearly imposible, couldnt find a prefessional rebuilder willing to do it!! there is so much cost, new pistons, new cam shaft, a lot of engine work, then think about adding the turbo, plumbing, intercooler etc very expensive, in the realms of several thouand. Idealy but a rough or trashed car and fit the engine!
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »