Nice!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

Nice!

Post by Jon »

Just found this on the Net. I'm sure you all know what car it is and what engine? [^][:)][:D][8D]
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Erm is it a longer BX??Making that a V6 in a rally car?? First time ive ever seen this pic, what have they done??
1: there are no struts!! the spheres just seem to sit there!!
2: whats the silver thing on the bulk head? it looks like a master cylinder for brakes (judging by the yellowed drum next to it. THought the BX brakes where good?
3: Whats with the cables to the +ve side of the battery??
4: Where can i get one, how much will it cost, what will the isurance say and is it turbo'd??
Jon

Post by Jon »

In Road legal form its a 4 cylinder, 2141cc Turbo. And its got 4 wheel drive. And it looks just mad!
Catalin
My Cars:

Post by Catalin »

It’s a BX 4 TC.
Citroen’s attempt to build a Group B rally car, back in 1985.
Vanny, I’m surprised you don’t know about it. One of those French docs tells all about it.
Jon

Post by Jon »

vanny, see here http://ice.prohosting.com/bx16v/bx4tc2.html
I think that they made 200 road legal versions. There was one in the UK owned by Mark Waghown of MWR, Clapham, I don't know whether he still has it.
The rest of course were for rallying.
The extended front end is something to behold!
Seem to remember the engine was a Talbot effort, the wheels were CX Turbo metrics. It was only available in France and maybe Germany too.
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

There was one for sale on the carclassic.com web site last year - I think it was in Switzerland, or may have been France. They were asking what was at the time £16k equivalent in Euros - would be more now since the values dropped [:(] Only had low mileage too.
I imagine spheres etc would be a real struggle to find now - don't suppose Citroen kept many spares for them!
Got some pictures of one of the Group B versions at home from when we drove round France a couple of years ago and visited a really cool museum with an example of all the Group B cars!
Jon - who's MWR out of interest? I don't live far from Clapham and I'm always up for digging out interesting cars! Made a habit of chasing down all the Mk2 Cortina's in my area when I had one. It's amazing how many suburban garages have old cars rusting away in them!
Adrian
Jon

Post by Jon »

MWR (Mark Waghorn)
The Arches
11-12 Latchmere Road
Battersea
SW11 2DR
Mark is the son of the John Waghorn who once owned BWB Motors of Clapham, one of the oldest and best UK Citroen Dealerships and well known to older Citroen enthusiasts until it closed.
When I last saw Mark he had some interesting cars such as the BX 4TC and an AX Sport. Their day to day work is 2CV and general Citroen repairs at MWR although they are true classic car enthusiasts.
Can remember being a passenger in a BX 16v coming back from Spa 24hs 2cv race; racing the said BX 4TC with Mark driving many years ago. We had a bit of trouble keeping up at certain points!
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Now theres a job i would like!! Hand building a BX into a proper rally car. Just look at that shell, doent it make you wonder just what can be done with a BX ?? Or any car for that matter
EDIT<i> djkfh hfud stupid link kdjhf kdjf</i>
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Certainly looks a whole load more useable than a 6R4!, But do I detecta CX Varipower steering governor on the front bulkhead behind that flashy induction manifold? if so why? How?
Pete
________
Efini Ms-6
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:34, edited 1 time in total.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Pete -
It certainly IS a DIRAVI governor unit !
Donno if the BX 4TC had DIRAVI - but sounds likely - since the DIRAVI is superior to the PAS servo steering - and does not load the HP pump to such extents as the PAS does.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Does loading of the pump with 'normal' PAS affect the Xantia with its twin output pump??
Can anyone point me in the direction of good DIRAVI information?
What was it available on? (Car wise)
Would it fit on a BX?
Just what makes it so good? (Is this the one that lowers its assistance at higher speeds??)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Vanny -
The DIRAVI was first fitted to SM - later all CX models (except first production years lo-end 2000 models) had DIRAVI fitted.
The XM V6 (3.0L) version also had DIRAVI up to production year '96 - but disappointing it was NEVER fitted in RHD XM's - so "over here" we may enjoy the earlier XM V6 with DIRAVI.
The DIRAVI employs an indeed VERY complicated hydraulic unit directly fitted under the steering wheel. The unit is a heavy large steel lump - looks like nothing you have ever seen before.
The DIRAVI unit works in conjunction with he governor - which is responsible for decreasing servo help up to approx. 80kph (50mph) - at which speed servohelp is almost nil - which gives a VERY steady & safe high speed steering. The governor works like a speed depending pressure limiting valve for the DIRAVI - and works directly off the speedometer cable output from diff - using a small gearhousing for the extra cable output.
In case of a cable failure to governor - you have max. servohelp at any speed - which equals hysteric oversteering even at moderate speeds - also a VERY frightening experience !
The DIRAVI unit is responsible for the control of pressure feeded to a normal ram cylinder on the rack - so you have no pinion valve.
Peculiarities of the DIRAVI are :
Very aggressive return to center action (frightening first time !) - if you let go on steeringwheel.
0 - nil - null - absolutely - center slack/wander in steering as opposed to earlier US cars.
With no hydraulic pressure (engine off) - you have up to 1/4 steering wheel slack - plus astonishing heavy steering.
That's why a separate accumulator sphere is used for the DIRAVI - for safety - like the standard accumulator for brake safety.
The HP pump in the CX is known as a slow "pumper" - having lower output feed than the HP found in BX'es - CX'es takes ages to raise in height compared to BX.
There is sparsely space for it in a standard BX - since you have LOTS of pipes/hoses running to/from the unit right behind the engine.
Anyway a complete strip down of dash would be necessary - and a new console build up to carry the very different (& heavy !) steering unit - finally the steering axle to rack and lots of piping must be made to purpose.
IIRC the Citroen Tech ref guide found on Gabor's BX-DIY site explains very well the DIRAVI.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Thanks Anders,
there are two CX 2.5 TD Safari int eh local scrapwhci im thinking of pillaging if its do-able. When you say the steering unit needs to be changed, do you mean the saft from bulk head to pinion??
Not too worried about the piping, a good slapping and it seems to behave (that and a new section of pipe, 2 litre of LHM, and several cable ties!!) Im guessing im gonna have to buy a not so god like Haynes on this, so anyone any suggestions which has GOOD diravi instructions. Im still after a DS or GSA within the next 5 years or so, but a stupidly perfect (to drive) BX gets the biscuit!! Thanks Anders!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> ... to carry the very different (& heavy !) steering unit - finally the ... <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I should have written :
... carry the very different (& heavy !) DIRAVI unit ...
It's the DIRAVI unit itself that resides directly below the steering wheel - in the console - with axle stubs protruding each end for steering wheel & pinion axle.
Once you get to strip the panels around/under steering wheel in a CX - you know what I mean ....
.... and then take a look in the CX's engine bay - just behind the DIRAVI's location - and enjoy this web of pipes.
if this don't scare you screeming away -
- then good luck mate [^]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Forgot to mention that the complete Haynes CX may be downloaded from the CZech citroen car club site on this page :
http://citroeny.cz/servis/servis.htm