Never knew that !!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI
My Cars:

Never knew that !!

Post by HDI »

Needed a Ltr of LHM and as I was passing my local Cit dealer I decided that was convenient and the price is ok.

Asked the parts guy and he sucked through his teeth in doubt that they would have it !!! I announced my surprise and he said that there is no call for it since most Cits stopped using hydraulic suspension !! :shock:

This came as a complete surprise to me as I tend not to pay any attention to new cars, so when he said the only Cits with hydraulic now are the C5 Exclusive and the C6 I was mortified !! Even then they apparently use a different fluid ??!!

One of the sales guy's joined in the convo and said hydraulic was now too expensive to use except for the high spec exceptions.

So how long before it disappears from Cits completely ??!!

Another thing I didn't realise, the 2.2 HDI in the C6 is twin turbo, develops 170 brake, and would be the best option in a C6. Suits me, has to be seriously easier to service that that HUGE V6 !!
Last edited by HDI on 26 Jan 2011, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Ooooo its been some time. Hydraulic systems have slowly been eroded away.

None of the "Small" Citroens have had it since the GS. Xsara, ZX, AX, Saxo, I all call them Pretend Citroens..

Its only the LATEST C5 that has springs, the early C5's had hydraulics, but useda Yellow LDS fluid. I guess long life stuff.

As for C5. Unfortunally, most are V6 2.7 units. Id be happy with a 170bhp 2.2 but then that means 16v and poor manifold designs. Just like the unit in the C5. I cannot see 170bhp being a problem shifting the 2 ton C5. Its not BHP that counts in a DERV its the Toruque figures.

Yes, unfortunally, Hydraluics are a dyeing thing. Times of the past, and were loosing Xantias quickly too... :cry: as well as XM's.

Ive included those only, as the DS and CX now seem to be in Classic and Saved areas. (Except those two recently on Ebay)

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Sad times indeed.

There are murmurs that the current generation of Citroens will be the last to use hydropneumatic suspension. It will be a great loss.

Citroen have lost their way. Nothing in the range excites me with the exception of the C6. As for the DS3/4/5 - not a fan if I'm honest.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

my dealer keeps Lhm in huge stock behind the parts counter, but then there are a lot more older cars running on the island, wouldnt want them to stop stocking it, its about £12 per litre at halfords!

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Yes, I suffered severe wallet abuse at Halfords a few months ago for LHM, had no choice at the time, it was out of normal hours.

Xantia's must now surely must have the title of the last proper Citroens then, except for possibly the C6 of which there will never be many in the UK.

Can't believe my blissful ignorance of this development :(
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

For anyone that lives in the westcountry, Trago Mills have it for about a fiver.

Peter
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Apparently it's another Europe thing; seems that someone saw the masterpiece that was the Citroen hydraulic system and thought "HEY NOW that's a single system that controls the steering, brakes and suspension. Can't be having that, it's too dangerous."

Hence why the C5 had hydraulic bits on the corners and conventional steering and braking systems.

The EU: why we can't have nice things.

:(

-Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yep, all 'proper' C5s (i.e. C5I and C5II) have hydraulics with LDS fluid, an orange fluid and can not be mixed with the LHM.

C5IIIs are mainly steel sprung, apart from automatics and the range topping Exclusive. Very very disappointing, its sad to see Citroen slowly leaving hydraulic suspension behind. After over 55 years its slowly seems to be getting phased out, i hope not totally, but the vast majority of C5IIIs you see are steel sprung. They sit higher which is a give away.

The hydraulics is something i really like about big Citroens, and as im not really a fan of the C5III and most lack that feature, i wont be looking there for my next car. Might as well have a Mondeo or Insignia!

So this C5 of mine I intend to make last for a good few years! Hopefully Citroen will have their act together again at some point.

While i can see why they dont fit hydraulic suspension to all Big Cits (cost, people not liking the complexity etc) its a big Citroen appeal for me. As was Citroens reputation for making huge Estate cars, and they have gone now too.

Modern Citroens of today are the worst Citroens yet! With the exception of the C1 and C6. C1 is a fantastic cheap little car, something else Citroen have alwasy been great at, and the C6 is a lovely luxury car, a rare sight and a different choice.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

I was in Manchester Citroen in September collecting my C6 and wanted a couple of bottles of LHM. The guy came out and gave me a price for them.

As I was paying he said "That's two gone, only another 6 to go"

When I asked him what he meant he said that they weren't going to be keeping it any more. I asked what he'd take for the rest of it, we agreed a price and I bought the remaining stock he had to clear his shelf space.

Halfords LHM comes down to either £4.99 or £5.99 a bottle if you've got a trade card!

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Citroenmad wrote:
Modern Citroëns of today are the worst Citroëns yet! With the exception of the C1 and C6. C1 is a fantastic cheap little car, something else Citroën have alwasy been great at, and the C6 is a lovely luxury car, a rare sight and a different choice.
Chris - the C1 is EVEN less of a Citroen! Its NOT even a Citroen, the only time it is a Citroen is when its a DERV...

Its a Damm Toyota! Even the Petrol C1's use Toyotas engine...

So the ONLY decent Citroen is the C6...

As for the quote about the C5 being changed because of the "Central" hydraulic setup on Xantias, its more likely to be Peugeot to be telling Citroen - Oooooo theres no need - its too expensive, we ave good breaks with servos now, and PAS parts already, so ets cheeper to make a car that a way....

PAul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

citroenxm wrote: So the ONLY decent Citroën is the C6... PAul
Well, I'm not going to argue with this comment :wink: Knowing that these are probably the last of the breed making owning and driving all the more enjoyable,

Now don't get me wrong, I loved the comfort of the C5 II but was put off by a series of events that really got me thinking, and to be honest, I think I would still of had it now.
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

citroenxm wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:
Modern Citroëns of today are the worst Citroëns yet! With the exception of the C1 and C6. C1 is a fantastic cheap little car, something else Citroën have alwasy been great at, and the C6 is a lovely luxury car, a rare sight and a different choice.
Chris - the C1 is EVEN less of a Citroën! Its NOT even a Citroën, the only time it is a Citroën is when its a DERV...

Its a Damm Toyota! Even the Petrol C1's use Toyotas engine...

So the ONLY decent Citroën is the C6...

PAul
I know that, but its besides the point, most Citroens are just rebodied Peugeots anyway.

However the C1 is still offered by Citroen, so is therefore a Citroen, might not be designed totally by them but they have their inputs.

To be honest the Toyota input only makes the car better, it would be very dull with the boring 1.1 60bhp PSA engine, which it would no doubt have got if it was left to Citroen. The 1.0 3 pot Toyota engine is cracking, characterful, nippy, economical and refined too. It makes the car as far as im concerned. Plus they are very reliable units.

The 1.4HDi in that car is virtually pointless, i dont think its even offered now. Its slower, noisier and offers little in the way of extra MPG.

I love winding the C1s engine up, it makes a good noise for a small engine and its very fun. Its actually as quick as a 110 C5 HDi, i know, ive tried to get past them when they are fully accelerating.

The interior is an excellent piece of design, not tacky like a Kia Picants for example, it has everything you need and nothing more. Luxuries are limited, but then they always have been in a small Citroen.

Its a good Citroen as its a cheap car, which offers all the essentials in a small car, but no extras. I love the quirkiness of its styling and interior features.

In my mind its the modern version of the 2cv, obviously not as 'out there' but it offers cheap motoring, with character, 5 doors, all you really need in a car, and nothing extra. Sure you can have CL, EW and AC - as ours does, you can even have leather seats and alloys if you wish. Its just a well designed car, and one which feels its going to last. Im glad Toyota had a big say in the car. Toyotas are generally boring, and the AYgo does look wierd, but they are cracking cars if all you need is a small car.

Citroen have always offered a good cheap small car, the 2cv, the AX was a cracking little car in its day, the Saxo was a huge hit. However the C2 was a bit of a half attempt and didnt really sell very well, not as well as the Ax and Saxo.

The C1 reminds me a lot of the AX really, just much better. They sell by the bucket load, which is great for Citroen too. We bought ours due to its interior space, we were going to get a C3, but even the new ones dont have enough room inside for me, especially not in the back. The C1 does though, i find it very comfortable, even on a long drive. If only the suspension was a bit more Citroen, thats my only critasism, otherwise id not change a thing.

The Citroen-ness is not really what I miss about Citroens, as they have to move on and Citroen dont have a habbit of just redoing their old cars. However the fact they dont offer a huge estate car now and that they are going away from hydraulic suspension slowly is what im a little put off by.
Last edited by Citroenmad on 26 Jan 2011, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

LOL I love 3 cylinders too!

I used to drive a Diahatsu Charade, a D reg one, AUTO! 3 cylinder 1 litre, made a wonderfull V6 type noise...

Half a V6 - but sound like one... LOL...

Some nice points Chris, my Pug Citroen though would have to be the C2.. though its been withdrawn now :-(

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

C6 does nothing for me, it looks like a CX that's gone a bit saggy.
C5 looks like a fish, the mk2 isn't much of an improvement, and the mk3 only looks good as a tourer but it's not that great.
It all went down hill with the MK2 Xantia, but at least that remained a proper Citroen, if a bit of a munter.
Damn you Peugeot! Damn you to heck!

As for the C1, I take it there are other engine options on the peugeot because my ex's mother had a 107 with a sewing machine under the bonnet, one of the worst cars I've had the displeasure to drive.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

What about the XM Xac?? Thats a proper "Hydraulic" Citroen!!

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto